PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI.com: Longtime Brady Advisor Says QB's Struggles Repairable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone is focusing too much on the mechanical aspects of the recovery. Mechanics have always been a key Brady attribute, but he has struggled like this not coming off an injury. It's tough to build rhythm and consistency when you're not the only one missing execution. In fact it seems to feed itself like a snowball rolling downhill ala Denver 2006. He found his personal mechanical groove late against Buffalo, knocked the rust off, but lost ground it in the face of Rex determined defense. Regained against Atlanta and maintained it sufficiently against Baltimore and it was working fine through the first half in Denver... Rhythm is a fragile thing and it ends up effecting mechanics in mental as well as physical ways and not just for QB's. His mechanics can be flawless and that throw to Welker is still going to hit him in th heel if they read the defense or the situation differently. He's going to sail throws to Randy until the start to hook up more regularly. Rhythm effects confidence and comfort level as much as mechanics.

Perhaps this advisor should be brought in as a consultant or assistant coach for a couple of months.

Martinez still works with Brady on and off.. they keep in touch.

It is a shame that Brady's rhythm, ego and consfidence are so fragile. ????????? I disagree with that analysis.

I suggest that the problem has more to do with mechanics, which may still be strongly affected by his injury and by his more recent hit to his opreviously injured shoulder.

We keep on comparing Brady with Manning last year. Manning was much further along at this point in his recovery. Game One was the first time Peyton touched the ball after his injury. He was at all-pro and MVP performance levels within 9 weeks. On the other hand, Brady has had the entire offseason practice schedule, the preseason, and five games to recover. I strongly expect that Brady will indeed be Brady coming out of the bye. Brady has two full speed games and two weeks of preparation for Miami. He should be ready. The players play one week at a time and focus on one game at a time, but it hard for we fans not to look ahead to the Maimi game.

I think everyone is focusing too much on the mechanical aspects of the recovery. Mechanics have always been a key Brady attribute, but he has struggled like this not coming off an injury. It's tough to build rhythm and consistency when you're not the only one missing execution. In fact it seems to feed itself like a snowball rolling downhill ala Denver 2006. He found his personal mechanical groove late against Buffalo, knocked the rust off, but lost ground it in the face of Rex determined defense. Regained against Atlanta and maintained it sufficiently against Baltimore and it was working fine through the first half in Denver... Rhythm is a fragile thing and it ends up effecting mechanics in mental as well as physical ways and not just for QB's. His mechanics can be flawless and that throw to Welker is still going to hit him in th heel if they read the defense or the situation differently. He's going to sail throws to Randy until the start to hook up more regularly. Rhythm effects confidence and comfort level as much as mechanics.

Perhaps this advisor should be brought in as a consultant or assistant coach for a couple of months.

Nah. I'd rather have our coaching staff working with Brady.

Good article, Chris. I think Brady will be up to speed soon. This is definitely the part in the schedule (soft) that he needs in order to reacclimate himself to the NFL.

It is a shame that Brady's rhythm, ego and consfidence are so fragile. ????????? I disagree with that analysis.

I suggest that the problem has more to do with mechanics, which may still be strongly affected by his injury and by his more recent hit to his opreviously injured shoulder.

We keep on comparing Brady with Manning last year. Manning was much further along at this point in his recovery. Game One was the first time Peyton touched the ball after his injury. He was at all-pro and MVP performance levels within 9 weeks. On the other hand, Brady has had the entire offseason practice schedule, the preseason, and five games to recover. I strongly expect that Brady will indeed be Brady coming out of the bye. Brady has two full speed games and two weeks of preparation for Miami. He should be ready. The players play one week at a time and focus on one game at a time, but it hard for we fans not to look ahead to the Maimi game.

Brady missed an entire season, on top of being injured. Manning didn't miss any real time. I opined during the offseason that Brady should play a lot of minutes in the exhibition games to help speed up his recovery. The team's failure to take advantage of those games/opportunities is just one of many egregious mistakes made during the offseason.

I guess the only thing that concerns me is that Brady looked so good in some of the exhibition games, particularly the Eagles game - and I wonder if the Haynesworth hit has set him back. The deep balls he was throwing in preseason were pretty much on the money, aside from the jump ball Int to Moss. In that Skins game, his 2 TD passes to Moss were vintage 07 type stuff.

I guess the only thing that concerns me is that Brady looked so good in some of the exhibition games, particularly the Eagles game - and I wonder if the Haynesworth hit has set him back. The deep balls he was throwing in preseason were pretty much on the money, aside from the jump ball Int to Moss. In that Skins game, his 2 TD passes to Moss were vintage 07 type stuff.

I think things like playing defenses who are diligently game planning to stop this offense coupled with Welker's battling an injury and the usual slow start by this OL and the fact that this very offense was struggling down the stretch when last they played together has a lot more to do with it than mechanics. He knocked the rust off against Buffalo and had his mechanics worked out by week 3. Week two he got clobbered and it had nothing to do with his knee. Week 4 he played well against a tough defense. Week 5 Denver made halftime adjustments after Brady was spectacular in the first half and after losing Light we went into a shell. Sadly the D struggled in that same half as well.

The Manning comparisons aren't really valid since he missed all of camp having a procedure and he was clearly gimpy when he returned. His knee wasn't right for a month and their offense wasn't clicking for two. Luck largely kept them in it to that point. Then talent kicked in.

Nice work Chris, as usual.

I much prefer reading this than the crap about how "BB has lost his mojo" or has "time passed BB by" or Brady all done because he a) has a hot, model wife, b) is a rockstar, c) busy getting ready for baby brady two etc etc.

Of course, when they rip off 6 or 7 wins in a row, they set them selves up to write comback of the year, tom is terrific again, BB is the greatest blah blah bla type articles.

I think things like playing defenses who are diligently game planning to stop this offense coupled with Welker's battling an injury and the usual slow start by this OL and the fact that this very offense was struggling down the stretch when last they played together has a lot more to do with it than mechanics. He knocked the rust off against Buffalo and had his mechanics worked out by week 3. Week two he got clobbered and it had nothing to do with his knee. Week 4 he played well against a tough defense. Week 5 Denver made halftime adjustments after Brady was spectacular in the first half and after losing Light we went into a shell. Sadly the D struggled in that same half as well.

There are such things as setbacks.

Brady was not spectacular in the first half of the Denver game.

On that overthrow to Moss, he left plenty of weight on his backfoot. Typically the backfoot should be on it's tip in the follow through, but on that overthrow, you could clearly see the front sole still planted.

His mechanics are clearly not 100% there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes