Welcome to PatsFans.com

WEEI.com: Figuring Out The 53

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Christopher_Price, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher_Price

Christopher_Price Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hey all ... here's my take on who's got the best shot to make the 53-man roster. (NOTE--This was done last night, before the Hochstein trade. Going forward, that will obviously change the look of the offensive line...)

Christopher Price | Figuring Out The Final 53

As always, don't be shy about telling me what you think. Thanks!
  2. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 0 / -1

Chris, who would you guess takes Hochstein's place on the roster? You mentioned O'Callahan being on the bubble; is there any other backup center other than Dan Connolly?
  3. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

Many of us had Ryan Wendell as a possible backup center if Belichick cut Hochstein.

4. jmt57

Ratings:
    +359 / 0 / -1

Yeah, I was just remembered that and was about to edit my comment, good catch.
  5. JD10367

JD10367 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

10 DBs and 4 TEs seems iffy. I still say Wheatley and Watson might be the odd men out there. Maybe he keeps BJGE and a 9th O-lineman.

(And Alexander making it over Lenon, Nonkovich, and Crable... eesh, scary because it's quite possible. I've just seen enough of Alexander, personally. He's one of those guys that makes you wonder if he has pics of Belichick in a thong being whipped or something...)
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  6. mgteich

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

As with most rosters, I have no problem with the first 50.
    Obviously Hochstein needs to be replaced.
    I would keep a 4th OT and a linebacker instead of Smith and Slater.

7. jmt57

Ratings:
    +359 / 0 / -1

Here's another look at one of those roster battles: Pats pair snaps to it: two take aim at special job by Rich Garven of the Worcester Telegram & Gazette

8. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 0 / -2

Nice job, Chris.

I agree with 25 on offense and 25 on defense. I agree with all of your offensive selections, except that I would substitute 9 OLs instead of 8 and keep only 3 TEs. As of today, Alex Smith is the odd TE out. I would add O'Callaghan as a 4th OT, eventually giving way to Mark LeVoir when he comes off of PUP. Hochstein is replaced by one of Wendell or Connolly.

On defense, I agree with your DL (including Burgess and TBC, who I list as LBs) and the 5 CBs. I think 4 safeties and 6 LBs (in addition to Burgess and TBC) are a lock, the only difference being that I would hope Crable makes the list instead of Eric Alexander (I would take Nikovich over Alexander if Crable goes on IR). If Crable is able to be on the roster then I would take Lenon over Slater for the last position. I'm not sure what I would do if Crable and Lenon both go on IR. I'm not a big fan of giving the last slot to Slater.
  9. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Patriots will keep 5 RB's, same as last year.

I predict Alex Smith and Joey Galloway get cut. Lewis is simply picking it up fast and better. It's bad enough Galloway gets motioned by Edelman.

Hopefully Nunn makes it on the practice squad.
  10. mgteich

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

No matter how many times we repeat it, we did NOT have five running backs on the squad last year. We had four running backs and a fullback who had almost all his reps on special teams. I would be fine with such a fullback this year, but Belichick says no.

11. Mack Herron

Mack Herron Rookie

Ratings:
    +198 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

Evans had some RB skills and could also block. TE in the backfield has no running safety net. BJGE stays, Galloway goes. Not sure about Smith, but I say he goes unless they plan something strage like 4 TE formations. WRs and 4 TEs is not going to happen.
  12. Bluto

Bluto Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Three TE's seems right
  13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

If my algebra is correct, looks like 8 rookies are projected... hats off to Caserio and the rest of the behind the scenes guys... younger and faster.
  14. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 0 / -2

8 out of 12 projected to make the team as of right now, with 2 on IR/PUP certain to make the team at a later date (McKenzie and Tate) and possibly Bussey, Richard and UDFA Hoyer to the PS if they make it that far. Impressive.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.