PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI.com: Figuring Out The 53

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher_Price

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Hey all ... here's my take on who's got the best shot to make the 53-man roster. (NOTE--This was done last night, before the Hochstein trade. Going forward, that will obviously change the look of the offensive line...)

Christopher Price | Figuring Out The Final 53

As always, don't be shy about telling me what you think. Thanks!

Chris, who would you guess takes Hochstein's place on the roster? You mentioned O'Callahan being on the bubble; is there any other backup center other than Dan Connolly?

Many of us had Ryan Wendell as a possible backup center if Belichick cut Hochstein.

Chris, who would you guess takes Hochstein's place on the roster? You mentioned O'Callahan being on the bubble; is there any other backup center other than Dan Connolly?

Yeah, I was just remembered that and was about to edit my comment, good catch.

10 DBs and 4 TEs seems iffy. I still say Wheatley and Watson might be the odd men out there. Maybe he keeps BJGE and a 9th O-lineman.

(And Alexander making it over Lenon, Nonkovich, and Crable... eesh, scary because it's quite possible. I've just seen enough of Alexander, personally. He's one of those guys that makes you wonder if he has pics of Belichick in a thong being whipped or something...)

Last edited:
As with most rosters, I have no problem with the first 50.
Obviously Hochstein needs to be replaced.
I would keep a 4th OT and a linebacker instead of Smith and Slater.

Hey all ... here's my take on who's got the best shot to make the 53-man roster. (NOTE--This was done last night, before the Hochstein trade. Going forward, that will obviously change the look of the offensive line...)

Here's another look at one of those roster battles: Pats pair snaps to it: two take aim at special job by Rich Garven of the Worcester Telegram & Gazette

Eight-year veteran Nathan Hodel and rookie Jake Ingram have both been efficient while engaging in one of the more competitive roster competitions in camp. Two players, one spot. No backup needed.

“They’ve been pretty consistent,” coach Bill Belichick said. “There are always little things that you’re always working to improve, or maybe perfect is a better word. It’s such a specialized spot and job, but overall I don’t think … really, we haven’t had any problems with it.”

The long snapper’s task is seemingly simple. Send the ball in timely and precise fashion to Chris Hanson, who both punts and holds for All-Pro kicker Stephen Gostkowski on extra-point and field-goal attempts.

While the job is straightforward, the demands on the snapper are not.

Nice job, Chris.

I agree with 25 on offense and 25 on defense. I agree with all of your offensive selections, except that I would substitute 9 OLs instead of 8 and keep only 3 TEs. As of today, Alex Smith is the odd TE out. I would add O'Callaghan as a 4th OT, eventually giving way to Mark LeVoir when he comes off of PUP. Hochstein is replaced by one of Wendell or Connolly.

On defense, I agree with your DL (including Burgess and TBC, who I list as LBs) and the 5 CBs. I think 4 safeties and 6 LBs (in addition to Burgess and TBC) are a lock, the only difference being that I would hope Crable makes the list instead of Eric Alexander (I would take Nikovich over Alexander if Crable goes on IR). If Crable is able to be on the roster then I would take Lenon over Slater for the last position. I'm not sure what I would do if Crable and Lenon both go on IR. I'm not a big fan of giving the last slot to Slater.

Patriots will keep 5 RB's, same as last year.

I predict Alex Smith and Joey Galloway get cut. Lewis is simply picking it up fast and better. It's bad enough Galloway gets motioned by Edelman.

Hopefully Nunn makes it on the practice squad.

No matter how many times we repeat it, we did NOT have five running backs on the squad last year. We had four running backs and a fullback who had almost all his reps on special teams. I would be fine with such a fullback this year, but Belichick says no.

Patriots will keep 5 RB's, same as last year.

I predict Alex Smith and Joey Galloway get cut. Lewis is simply picking it up fast and better. It's bad enough Galloway gets motioned by Edelman.

Hopefully Nunn makes it on the practice squad.

No matter how many times we repeat it, we did NOT have five running backs on the squad last year. We had four running backs and a fullback who had almost all his reps on special teams. I would be fine with such a fullback this year, but Belichick says no.

Evans had some RB skills and could also block. TE in the backfield has no running safety net. BJGE stays, Galloway goes. Not sure about Smith, but I say he goes unless they plan something strage like 4 TE formations. WRs and 4 TEs is not going to happen.

Nice job, Chris.

I agree with 25 on offense and 25 on defense. I agree with all of your offensive selections, except that I would substitute 9 OLs instead of 8 and keep only 3 TEs. As of today, Alex Smith is the odd TE out. I would add O'Callaghan as a 4th OT, eventually giving way to Mark LeVoir when he comes off of PUP. Hochstein is replaced by one of Wendell or Connolly.

On defense, I agree with your DL (including Burgess and TBC, who I list as LBs) and the 5 CBs. I think 4 safeties and 6 LBs (in addition to Burgess and TBC) are a lock, the only difference being that I would hope Crable makes the list instead of Eric Alexander (I would take Nikovich over Alexander if Crable goes on IR). If Crable is able to be on the roster then I would take Lenon over Slater for the last position. I'm not sure what I would do if Crable and Lenon both go on IR. I'm not a big fan of giving the last slot to Slater.

Three TE's seems right

If my algebra is correct, looks like 8 rookies are projected... hats off to Caserio and the rest of the behind the scenes guys... younger and faster.

If my algebra is correct, looks like 8 rookies are projected... hats off to Caserio and the rest of the behind the scenes guys... younger and faster.

8 out of 12 projected to make the team as of right now, with 2 on IR/PUP certain to make the team at a later date (McKenzie and Tate) and possibly Bussey, Richard and UDFA Hoyer to the PS if they make it that far. Impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots