PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI.com: Deconstructing The Pats' 4-3 Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all ... I took my shot at breaking down the Patriots' 4-3 defensive look, and how things change and how they stay the same as opposed to the 3-4. Lemme know what you think...

Christopher Price | Deconstructing The Pats' 4-3 Defense

Another fine effort Chris, good read.

One question, you wrote: "The biggest wrinkle came in the use of defensive ends Derrick Burgess and Tully Banta-Cain, each of whom lined up wide of the offensive tackle like an outside linebacker, but still started with his hand on the ground like a defensive end."

In a 4-3 that's not a wrinkle but rather the norm. 4-3 DE's are supposed to be quicker players who can slip past those big OT's. They normally line up wide to easier avoid blocks and get into the backfield as quick as possible. Maybe you meant a wrinkle as opposed to the 3-4 the Pats run?

Last edited:
Another fine effort Chris, good read.

One question, you wrote: "The biggest wrinkle came in the use of defensive ends Derrick Burgess and Tully Banta-Cain, each of whom lined up wide of the offensive tackle like an outside linebacker, but still started with his hand on the ground like a defensive end."

In a 4-3 that's not a wrinkle but rather the norm. 4-3 DE's are supposed to be quicker players who can slip past those big OT's. They normally line up wide to easier avoid blocks and get into the backfield as quick as possible. Maybe you meant a wrinkle as opposed to the 3-4 the Pats run?

I think it is typical of one end to line up on the outside of the tackles but not both especially on run downs.

The 4-3 is traditionally more of a one-gap defense, but that doesn’t mean New England won’t put its own spin on things.

“Sometimes, we’ll two-gap on that same 4-3 front as well,” Seymour said. “Some teams have different philosophies where it’s a one-gap defense, but we’re still two-gap, and everybody has responsibilities for two gaps.”

I am glad you included this nugget in yout article....I thought they were two gaping as I watched last week and at camp and it was confirmed when I heard Big Sey say this in an interview the other day.

I think it is typical of one end to line up on the outside of the tackles but not both especially on run downs.

No, in a traditional 4-3 it's both. Their main task/job is to get into the backfield and disrupt either running or passing plays.

IMO, Mayo is the key to the success of a 4-3 pkg. In my one visit to camp, He made plays sideline-to-sideline and pity the back who tries to slip past the LOS to catch a dump-off. I think we'll see a lot more 4-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back