PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEE!.com: Mayo Now The Center Of Attention

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not exactly going out on a limb here, but I think No. 51 is going to have a really big year.

Christopher Price | Mayo Now The Center Of Attention

Nice piece, Chris. Not a big surprise, but needs to be said. (I like WEE!.com, by the way)

A little question. One of the "insider" things that (I think) Casale left as part of his parting dump on the living room floor was to say that Bruschi wasn't the great team-mate fans think he is. Well, I'm a confessed Bruschi-lover, but it strikes me that that is a pretty generous and unselfish tribute from someone who may be on the way out because of Mayo. Do you feel that it is genuine?

Nice piece, Chris. Not a big surprise, but needs to be said. (I like WEE!.com, by the way)

A little question. One of the "insider" things that (I think) Casale left as part of his parting dump on the living room floor was to say that Bruschi wasn't the great team-mate fans think he is. Well, I'm a confessed Bruschi-lover, but it strikes me that that is a pretty generous and unselfish tribute from someone who may be on the way out because of Mayo. Do you feel that it is genuine?

Two minor notes:

(A) I believe that parting "dump" also included the "fact" that Welker might miss much of 2008, so I wouldn't take it as gospel.

(B) I think Bruschi would be on his way out right now, Mayo or no Mayo.

I don't usually like Mayo on my sandwiches, but bring it on this year.:D

Hey Chris, in your article:

[As a result, he was named the Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year, and created a name for himself as one of the finest young linebackers in the league.]

You mean Defensive Rookie of the Year... correct?

[As a result, he was named the Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year, and created a name for himself as one of the finest young linebackers in the league.]

I think he's just anticipating this year. :D

Fix has been made -- thanks for the heads up. Although I'm thinking he'll be in the running for that one this year -- don't know how many of you guys have seen him in camp this summer, but he looks absolutely primed for a terrific season. I know I'm not going out on a limb by saying this, but I honestly believe he's ready to make the leap to elite status this season. He's a special, special talent.

Fix has been made -- thanks for the heads up. Although I'm thinking he'll be in the running for that one this year -- don't know how many of you guys have seen him in camp this summer, but he looks absolutely primed for a terrific season. I know I'm not going out on a limb by saying this, but I honestly believe he's ready to make the leap to elite status this season. He's a special, special talent.

I've always felt that Mayo is the ideal WILB for us - better even than Patrick Willis or Aaron Curry would be given the kind of demands the Pats make on the position. As he becomes more fluid and intuitive with the scheme I think he will break out in a big way, and I expect him to be the captain of the defense and a pro-bowler for the next 10 years. Realistically, I think DPOY is a long shot because the Pats system doesn't allow any one player to get that much attention, but I think he will be a consistent contender.

I've always felt that Mayo is the ideal WILB for us - better even than Patrick Willis or Aaron Curry would be given the kind of demands the Pats make on the position. As he becomes more fluid and intuitive with the scheme I think he will break out in a big way, and I expect him to be the captain of the defense and a pro-bowler for the next 10 years. Realistically, I think DPOY is a long shot because the Pats system doesn't allow any one player to get that much attention, but I think he will be a consistent contender.
I need to see Aaron Curry play to make an assessment of his rookie talent in the NFL, but I've never been that high on Willis as a fit for NE in the 3-4.

Casale is a flaming Baboon's butt. Every statement he wasn't using to self promote, he was using to defame someone.

Great article, Chris. Not only is Mayo going to have a monster year, he's also going to have a monster career. The article also shows how much of a class act Bruschi is.

I need to see Aaron Curry play to make an assessment of his rookie talent in the NFL, but I've never been that high on Willis as a fit for NE in the 3-4.

Agreed that Curry needs to show how his talent will translate to the NFL, but I suspect he will be the real deal. Even so, I see him more as a SILB/WILB "tweener" (similar to how I think Brandon Spikes will be) than as a pure WILB in the 3-4.

Willis is a great sideline-to-sideline tackling machine, but I think Mayo is a much better fit for NE given our complex schemes and reads and the demands made on the position.

Actually, the layer who comes closest to Mayo as a 3-4 WILB candidate for us would probably be Lofa Tatupu. I will always believe that the Pats would have drafted Tatupu at #64 in 2005 (he was projected as a 3rd-4th rounder) and were stunned when Seattle jumped on him at #44. We ended up trading out of the round once he was gone. Mayo seems to combine the field general smarts of Tatupu with the physical talent of a Willis or Curry.

Thanks for the kind words about the site -- always good to hear. We've got a great crew over there that's really working hard. We're on pace for another record month of page views, BTW...

Bruschi's feelings are genuine. (He would have to be stone-cold crazy not to recognize Mayo's talents.) Mayo also has a real respect for Bruschi and what he's been able to accomplish -- 13 years in the league is enough to draw anyone's respect.

Bruschi's feelings are genuine. (He would have to be stone-cold crazy not to recognize Mayo's talents.) Mayo also has a real respect for Bruschi and what he's been able to accomplish -- 13 years in the league is enough to draw anyone's respect.

OK. (Feels good.) Nice to have your vibe to confirm. And yes, Tedy has been an amazing contributor to the Pats' success -- his play-making over the years has been something mere stats doesn't record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes