Welcome to PatsFans.com

Weapons were legally purchased?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

Hmmm....I know we've all been discussing the particulars of the weapons, the laws, and all the related legal questions the incident poses. Here is some info I found in two articles.

As a permanent legal resident of the United States, Cho was eligible to buy a handgun unless he had been convicted of any felony criminal charges, a federal immigration official said.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8OIG1DO0&show_article=1

Cho Seung-Hui bought his first gun, a Glock 9 mm handgun, on March 13 and his second weapon, a .22 caliber handgun, within the last week, law enforcement officials tell ABCNews.com.

"This was no spur of the moment crime. He's been thinking about this since at least the time he bought the first gun," said former FBI agent Brad Garrett, an ABC News consultant.

Both guns were bought in Virginia, according to the officials.

Under Virginia law, state residents can only buy one handgun in any 30 day period, suggesting Cho bought his second weapon after April 13, or sometime over the weekend.

"He clearly spent some time figuring out how he was going to take care of business once classes began on Monday morning," said Garrett.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2007/04/first_gun_bough.html

2. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +558 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

How do you shoot 33 people with only a 9mm and a .22? Niether one will stop you on a dime.

The .22 you would have to basically shoot them point blank in the head to kill them.

A 9mm is a serious firearm, but not by any means a bazooka. I can't understand how after the first few went down, that a least two or three guys didn't rush him. He would have gotten one of them, but not all three.

3. Real World

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

I heard on the radio that he had the students in one classroom line up against a wall, with their backs to him, and then he started shooting them down.

4. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I've never fired a gun, but it does seem strange from what people are saying about 9mms.
    With regards to rushing him, I've been in some violent situations (not involving a gun), as I imagine you have on plenty of occasions. I found that, on some of those occasions, I was able to restrain the attacker with the help of others. On other occasions, I froze and paid for it.
    As for stopping this happening again, I have no answers at all. There are too many people with guns, simply put.

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

One might argue that there were too few people with guns at VaTech. :(

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

gotta go with the Chris Rock mentallity on this issue....make a bullet cost $5,000.

"I'd Shoot you....if I could afford it."

7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Regardless of the effect of right-to-carry laws on society in general, allowing guns in college dorms is just crazy.

8. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Why? They allow them in malls, parks...lots of places. They're adults. How can my previous post be argued LOGICALLY?

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +554 / 22 / -19

One might argue that, but I also presume a cold-blooded killer would have the advantage over anyone but a professional trained in dealing with criminals. In addition, increase the prevalence of guns and there's no telling if there would be other crimes as well. I think the problem is that we're a gun-crazy society, and I don't think we want to promote the idea that problems can be solved with guns. Guns should be hard to get, and a foreigner should certainly not be able to get guns, since we probably can't do much of a background check.

10. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

From what I am hearing it was some type of semi-automatic clip. This is the problem. Why do we need guns that can fire this rapidly? I am sure we will hear why we need these clips from the NRA.
    As far as rushing him, in the spur of the moment its not how someone is going to react unless they have had some type of training. When the three students were holding the door and not letting him in the room, is when they should have let him in.....halfway and slammed it big time. Again hindsight, and thinking with a clearhead.

11. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

My wife shot a gun for two hours before winning an informal rifle range contest between her, me, and three other experienced shooters. She never took another shot, but I bet the house she could've taken this guy out from 100 feet. There's no indication this kid knew any more than a novice would.

This crime and crimes like it are virtually inconceivable and therefor, unpreventable. It's not like reducing shootings in a subway or liquor stores. The amount of guns in the hands of civilians has nothing to do with preventing socoipatic behavior. We are a violent and illogical society that has decided that we could really care less about getting to the roots of the problem of violence. We'd much rather do a temporary, surfucial fix on the deep problems we choose to ignore. Gun control is a good example of this.

12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Unintended consequences. I won't deny the fact that another armed student might very well have ended this situation long before it became what it did; but how do you arm that one student without allowing everyone to carry? I won't say that the stress and pressures of college life are anywhere near as bad as it gets after; but these are still people who aren't at all experienced by and large. Every time someone eats the last bag of Ramen Noodles could become a life-threatening situation. Not to mention what happens when such and such breaks up with whoever.

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about campus cops. All the cops employed by the big Unis here in Boston go through an actual academy. Boston College (which is actually located in Newton, MA btw) sends its cops to the exact same academy that the city of Newton itself uses, and Newton's police force is outstanding. I'm only referring to students on campus.

13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +805 / 26 / -33

I am really confused now, the other thread of this claimed that only US citizens could legally buy a gun, this guy was a legal alien?? He had been here most of his life, but was not a citizen. Please clarify.

14. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +558 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

Only US citizens are constitutionally granted the ability to buy guns. Legal Residents (green card holders) (like the shooter) can buy guns according to the laws of the state they reside in.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

Yeah but then people would complain that only the rich get to shoot people, or defend themsleves.

16. Real World

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

Why? If those students had them, alot of them might be alive now. I think it's a valid position to have.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

Yeah but he was legal. Plus, it's funny how you say that foreignors shouldn't be allowed to get guns, since you can't do a background check, while you want to instantly make 20 million undocumented, and criminal illegals, citizens.

18. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's not true - maybe it should be, but right now it isn't.

Courts have not recognized a citizen's right to buy guns. Go to DC, or a non-issue state (Illinois and Wisconsin are the only two left) and try to buy a gun. You'll find that despite being a citizen, you can't. (Or more to the point, I couldn't - since you're in law enforcement you might be able to)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

The first time I shot a pistol was with my buddy in a Salsbury (sp?) shooting range. Anyhow, I shot near perfect, and twice as good as he, and avid shooter did. Point and squeeze. It's truly that simple. I've shot guns there times in my life. That pistol range (pistols scare me), a rifle range with my bro (shot all kinds of rifles which was super cool), and then more pistols in Italy with my cousins and friends.

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

He was a permanent legal resident. He'd been here 14 years.