Welcome to PatsFans.com

Weapons Regulation and/or Law Changes?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Dec 14, 2012.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,998 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Can we please leave the discussion of gun control out of the school thread?

One thing I would like to say is that night clubs and busy bars across the country sweep people for weapons when they enter the building. Is it time for schools to have a security person at the door to sweep visitors with a scanner ... similar to what is done in most or all court buildings? Even if it costs a state $1 million or several million it would be worth the one or more lives it saved.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +309 / 14 / -26

Yeah and he would have shot the security guard who was checking. Law abiding citizens should be allowed to carry guns in and near schools.

3. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,939 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

That last sentence is a catchy cliche, but what about the non-law abiding ones?

How are you going to know, until it's too late?

4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,998 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

That is actually a crime ... even people who have concealed weapon permits are not allowed to carry in government buildings or on their property ... you can be arrested for it. Actually a security officer checking people in front of a locked door would buy possible victims time and the police time to get there.

5. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +309 / 14 / -26

Yeah, thanks I knew that....and how did that law work today?

Guns weren't "allowed" in the Aurora, CO movie theater and guns weren't "allowed" at this school. So much for gun legislation.

6. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,998 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

You can be arrested for even carrying a weapon into a post office with permit.
    I have a permit but I don't carry much anymore ... always left it home when going to government buildings.

7. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +309 / 14 / -26

That's why it's important that law abiding citizens have guns so that when criminals use their weapons, they can protect themselves.

8. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,998 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Need more security ... the court buildings have it.

9. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +309 / 14 / -26

So you're going to have 10 security guards at every location where people gather?

So every Mall, every nursery school, ever little league game, every hockey game, every chucky cheese......please.....lol.

10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,998 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

I was talking about schools ... I said one security officer and you go dramatic to prove a point.
    why do you change what people say in their posts?

11. RI Patriots fan

Ratings:
    +309 / 14 / -26

My point was that what's the difference where it happens. Children gather at little league games...children gather at chucky cheese....children gather at the mall. If someone wants to hurt children, do you think they'll stop because schools are "protected"?

They'll either wait until security is vulnerable or they'll find a softer target.

12. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,998 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

I don't know if you have kids or not so I will talk generically...

There is a huge difference to parents because you are not and cannot be there to protect them. School security is a huge topic to parents from violence to germ control ... it's a parenting thing where you feel helpless.

As to your statement ... well yes they will find softer targets ... people kill people not guns and I agree with that. for the most part many of these people are cowards and the guns empower them.

I have a permit and have had one for many years though I seldom carry anymore. Yes ... they are a huge deterrence to crime. I think government buildings should have security as much as possible - people will accept that in such a place.

13. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +562 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

One new law that we need (at least it seems is obvious to me) is one that bans all video game where one can shoot people.

That one seems more obvious than any new law on guns. Let's start with the obvious.

14. CelticPatriot

CelticPatriot Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

Ask most Americans why they have a gun and their response will generally be "to protect myself".... which is fair enough. If guns were illegal, then there would be less of a need to have a gun to protect yourself. Obviously it's not as simple as that, because folk who wanted guns could still get them one way or another, but people would be a lot safer in general. There is even shootings like this in Britain on occasion, where the gun control is much stricter than America.

Banning all types of guns isn't going to stop shootings like this straight away (nothing is), but it would be a start.

Look at the guy in China today, he injured 22 kids with a knife. Probably similar to what happened here. He snapped for whatever reason and decided to start attacking people. If he had a gun, then there would have been multiple deaths and probably a lot more injuries. In the Connecticut case, if the guy only had a knife he probably wouldn't have killed anyone, certainly not 27 people.

These shootings happen way too often. Obviously there is no way you will stop them completely - look at Britain; Derrick Bird, Thomas Hamilton etc. Difference between America and Britain is, these tragedies happen once or twice a year in America... in Britain and other countries with much stricter gun control, they happen once or twice a decade.

15. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,998 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

PR we were playing cowboys and indians, crooks and police, Americans vs Germans with air rifles and cap guns when I was a kid. Actually running around our neighborhoods with fake weapons ... that is not the issue IMO.

I do think there needs to be an assault rifle ban, illegal to own them and those gun shows need to be clipped.

16. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,998 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

The blowhard is already at work ...

Doesn't he understand that rhetoric does not solve issues ... it creates divides.

Left Mobilizes to Politicize School Shooting - The Rush Limbaugh Show

It sounds it because it is Rush and you're not helping either ... are you?
    Instead of discussing the topic you are discussing the discussers .... FAIL :bricks:

17. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 30 / -34

this problem is not really about guns

our society is breeding a real ugly form of malcontent.

we are not talking about actions that will change because of a law

when the guy makes a fertilizer/diesel bomb, are we going to ban those too?

18. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,951 / 191 / -145

Disable Jersey

How do you not see the irony here, given that you started this thread? I came over to see if there was a thread like this going, and of course there is.

19. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +400 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

I'm in favor of people in America owning weapons. It's already illegal to own an automatic weapon.

A semi-automatic means you have to squeeze the trigger every time you shoot. I would support a banning on clips over 10 shots. I don't think that there is an need for 20 or 30 rounds clips.

I doubt if banning anything will keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Maybe keeping the clips down to 10, may help some cases.

20. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,998 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Discussing an issue is what people do to make sense of tragedy and possibly find solutions.

Pointing fingers and inflaming a topic with rhetoric solves nothing.

I opened the thread to keep the discussion out of the victims thread ... and it has.