Welcome to PatsFans.com

Weak Christmas Sales NOT Due to Fiscal Cliff or Sandy

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Dec 26, 2012.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +184 / 3 / -10

What a crock....media & analysts blaming the fiscal cliff and Sandy for holiday sales on par with 2008 (the year the depression began).

Personally, I would never adjust what I plan to spend on Christmas gifts because I thought I might have to pay more taxes NEXT year. I doubt many do, so cut the crap analysts/media.

The REAL reasons....

-Unemployment hasn't really improved
    -Earnings have remained flat
    -Americans are working fewer hours
    -The average American is not better off than they were 4 years ago

The reason sales were poor is because our economy is in bad shape.

End of story....

counting down to ILHP and Darryl contributing with "aint it awful", ect.

3, 2, 1......

US holiday retail sales growth weakest since 2008

US holiday retail sales growth weakest since 2008: Associated Press - MSN Money
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +105 / 22 / -12

#32 Jersey

Things are good in Hawaii.

The white house has 50 christmas trees. Times are good.
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +184 / 3 / -10

I also want to add that "retail" (clothes, electronics & appliances)prices have actually been in a DEflationary-mode since 2008. So that actually contributes to lack of sales growth.

Retailers lower prices in hopes they'll get customers to spend more money. But the result typically is that consumers spend the same or less because they're getting more for their dollar.

If you think about it, who would think, "Wow, prices are so low and I'm getting so much more for my money, I think I'll buy MORE!"? That would assume consumers are idiots, wouldn't it?
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -22

Just about every white house for the past 20 years has had 50 christmas trees, but what made these trees different was that many celebrated the service of the armed forces and many of the volunteers who decorated the WH were associated with the military..
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +184 / 3 / -10

Heard on the news this morning that milk prices may double in the next few weeks because an agriculture subsidy will expire.

I never knew milk/dairy was subsidized to the extent it cut retail prices in half. My Lord, how much of our economy is artificially priced?
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Don't forget that the average household has about $5,000 less to spend now, than it did 4 years ago, as incomes have gone down.

Hundreds of billions, if not trillions. Yet another reason why a "real" deal, will never happen. We'll get an 11th hour can kick, that will be celebrated as being break through, and nation saving, only to be in a worse situation few years from now. Gimmicks don't work long term.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

While the rrcovery hasn't been great, or even good, we're not as bad off as we were four years ago. People are spending less because too many of them have realized how insane it is to continue consumption on personal debt. People are putting less on credit and saving more than four years ago. Give the people some credit for a change (pardon the multiple puns and plays on words).
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -22

The nattering nabobs of negativity will refute this..
  9. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +269 / 4 / -9

do you have a link to back up this claim?
  10. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The entire Agra industry is living off decades old subsidies.

The second you touch them corporations get up in arms about subsidies meant to help little family farms.
  11. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +105 / 22 / -12

#32 Jersey

Its a house of cards.

Thats why Obama needs more stimulus to keep the ponzi scheme running.
  12. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +105 / 22 / -12

#32 Jersey

Duped again by the libtard blogs Darryl.

Moochelle only had 37 trees last year. But times are good, so why not up the ante to 54 trees eh?
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Unless I'm misreading the data, people are actually saving less than they were 4 years ago. Which makes sense since they're also earing somewhere under $5,000 less in that same period.

US Personal Saving Rate

Nov. 30, 2008 - 6.50%

vs

Nov. 30, 2012 - 3.60%

Here's a chart that shows a broader range of years. Assuming it's accurate, it's interesting to see the downward spiral over the last 30+ years. People used to save alot more than they save now.

[​IMG]
  14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +184 / 3 / -10

Good points and I agree with just about everything except maybe that we're better off than we were 4 years ago.

Many US full time jobs in construction & the trades have been replaced by part-time work and retail jobs. So long-term, things don't look better in my opinion. I even wonder if real estate has bottomed-out.
  15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +184 / 3 / -10

Our gov't isn't as worried about what cutting subsidies would do to corp America as much as they worry about what would happen to the average American. Food prices would skyrocket and for most families, food is the second largets monthly expense.

When you add up food stamps and agricultural subsidies alone, one can see just how much our economy is artificially created. And until now, it's all been done by deficit spending. Considering we can't continue our pace, the future doesn't look to bright.
  16. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +184 / 3 / -10

I think some people may be confused by the fact "Savings" is often measured differently. I believe if we count retirement accounts and 401k's, Americans are saving more than we were 4 years ago. But if we only count personal savings accounts, it's less.

I know I'm saving a heck of lot less because 4 years ago, I didn't own a home.