PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Used Mostly 4-3 Defense Against the Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
This weekend I heard a postgame report on ESPN radio while driving home from NYC. One of the analysts pointed out that the Patriots were in a 4-3 formation 90% of the time during the game.

Seeing how we built a commanding 24-0 lead with it, lost some points due to poor secondary tackling, and that most of our talent is on the D-Line, do you think this will be our default formation going forward?

I know Belichick/Pees likes to and will continue to switch all kinds of formations up on a regular basis, but it looks like the 4-3 is very effective. Colvin had experience with it in Chicago, we have enough talent on the D-Line to run it, and Bruschi has always been a faster, undersized type of guy for this formation anyways.

I dont know how correct 90% is, i'll check that out.

but with the massive depth at DL from Seymour, Wilfork and Warren. With Subs that include Green, Wright, Sullivan, Smith and Hill this team is no joke at DL.

It could be the change this team would make on defense or maybe Belichick used a 3-4 to throw off Manginis knowledge of our 3-4.

Either way our ability to go either way is much more of an asset then anything elss. Especially on dime and nickel plays. If we can play in dime and nickel and not have to worry about the run of giving the QB to much time i say thats one hell of an advantage.

they'll be in the 3-4 against Denver

NYJ are about Noodlington, not Barlow--so the team was set to defend the pass, not the run and to get after CP...which they did...just so happens that are DL and LBs are good enough to handle a mediocre rushing O from the 4-3, and when the Jets were down, they became 1-dimensional...

From Reiss's blog:

"Defensive line -- Playing a 4-3 for the majority of the game, check out these stat lines: Ty Warren (11 tackles, 1 quarterback hurry), Jarvis Green (6 tackles), Vince Wilfork (5 tackles, 1 sack, 1 quarterback hurry), Richard Seymour (5 tackles, 1 sack, 1 quarterback hurry, 1 pass deflected). The Jets' running game was ineffective (51 yards on 24 carries, 2.1 avg.)"

Not bad, not bad at all!

Flying Fungi said:
they'll be in the 3-4 against Denver

NYJ are about Noodlington, not Barlow--so the team was set to defend the pass, not the run and to get after CP...which they did...just so happens that are DL and LBs are good enough to handle a mediocre rushing O from the 4-3, and when the Jets were down, they became 1-dimensional...
Exactly, BB and Dean threw Mangini a curve ball, he may have had the team practice against a 4-3, but he built his game plan against a 3-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back