PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We talk about draft years, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
We talk about draft years and even describe them like fine wine vintages. But we never seem to do that with FA/vet trade annual hauls.

Why not?
It seems that we should.

Is there any doubt that the no-name FA haul of 2001, (along with the Brady/2001 draft) rebuilt the Pats in but a single season? Brady and Seymour, and a cast of thousands of no names or used-to-bes...

From last to first, and with a bunch of no name castoffs. But it was a very BIG bunch...

Certainly, the 2007 FA/trade haul was extraordinary too. Two HOF players, a good WR, a pro bowl slot WR, and respectable reserve RB, all were a fine addition of gridiron talent. Savor the names: Seau, Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Morris, Eckle.

What about the 2008 FA haul? Although it is early, it seems to me, that this will prove to be a fine vintage as well.

It appears that we have found a starting LCB, Bryant, a starting ILB, Hobson, and a a starting caliber SS, Williams, all at vet minimum. We have added an above average 4th and slot CB, Webster, and perhaps some experienced ex-starter Oline depth, Ross/Simms? Not bad at all.

We fans are not always the most intimate with measuring the athletic ability of players; so looking at where the Team's real draft scouts placed them on the actual day that they were drafted, at least provides an indication of their overall athletic ability, at one time. Their actual talent then took over and proved whether they could play. In this case, they all did, to varying degrees of success. The draft failures did not make this group.

The Patriots 2009 FA edition has added:
a) a 1 st round corner and
b) an other first round corner,
c) a second round safety,
c) a second round LB,
d) a fourth round corner/safety,
e) and a fifth round OT.

Of these six players, four were steady starters for their original teams. And another was a part time starter. Only one was a spot reserve.

If Kevin Jones signs eventually, we will have found an upgrade at reserve RB, and an able third down successor to Kevin Faulk, too.

Hmmn... 18-1 and lose Asante, Donte, Randy and Rosey to injury, and replace them with this collection and also Mayo, TWheat, Crable and O'Connell.

On net, I think the talent level is higher, than in 2007. What does that portend for the 2008 season ???

We talk about draft years and even describe them like fine wine vintages. But we never seem to do that with FA/vet trade annual hauls.

Why not?
It seems that we should.

Is there any doubt that the no-name FA haul of 2001, (along with the Brady/2001 draft) rebuilt the Pats in but a single season? Brady and Seymour, and a cast of thousands of no names or used-to-bes...

From last to first, and with a bunch of no name castoffs. But it was a very BIG bunch...

Certainly, the 2007 FA/trade haul was extraordinary too. Two HOF players, a good WR, a pro bowl slot WR, and respectable reserve RB, all were a fine addition of gridiron talent. Savor the names: Seau, Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Morris, Eckle.

What about the 2008 FA haul? Although it is early, it seems to me, that this will prove to be a fine vintage as well.

It appears that we have found a starting LCB, Bryant, a starting ILB, Hobson, and a a starting caliber SS, Williams, all at vet minimum. We have added an above average 4th and slot CB, Webster, and perhaps some experienced ex-starter Oline depth, Ross/Simms? Not bad at all.

We fans are not always the most intimate with measuring the athletic ability of players; so looking at where the Team's real draft scouts placed them on the actual day that they were drafted, at least provides an indication of their overall athletic ability, at one time. Their actual talent then took over and proved whether they could play. In this case, they all did, to varying degrees of success. The draft failures did not make this group.

The Patriots 2009 FA edition has added:
a) a 1 st round corner and
b) an other first round corner,
c) a second round safety,
c) a second round LB,
d) a fourth round corner/safety,
e) and a fifth round OT.

Of these six players, four were steady starters for their original teams. And another was a part time starter. Only one was a spot reserve.

If Kevin Jones signs eventually, we will have found an upgrade at reserve RB, and an able third down successor to Kevin Faulk, too.

Hmmn... 18-1 and lose Asante, Donte, Randy and Rosey to injury, and replace them with this collection and also Mayo, TWheat, Crable and O'Connell.

On net, I think the talent level is higher, than in 2007. What does that portend for the 2008 season ???

Don't discuss them. We don't want to get laughed at.:D

Seriously, I like how we covered our ass at corner to take pressure off the rooks. Besides Hobson, I think we're going with mostly youngsters. Maybe a vet TE or OL.

I don't think Jones has the mind set for the limited role he'll start with. I'm very happy with Maroney/Morris.

Two first round corners?:confused:

Last edited:
I always get a good laugh whenever a fan of another team (ususally the Colts) attempts to point out the "failure" of the Pats ability to draft; they usually focus on how many rookies made the team last year. It generally takes three or four times to explain, in slow and short words, that the Pats ended up using their 2007 draft picks to add Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Brandon Meriweather to the roster - and how does that compare to their team's draft. Not surprisingly, many still don't get it, but that is something that I am sure most Pats fans have grown accustomed to.

I always get a good laugh whenever a fan of another team (ususally the Colts) attempts to point out the "failure" of the Pats ability to draft; they usually focus on how many rookies made the team last year. It generally takes three or four times to explain, in slow and short words, that the Pats ended up using their 2007 draft picks to add Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Brandon Meriweather to the roster - and how does that compare to their team's draft. Not surprisingly, many still don't get it, but that is something that I am sure most Pats fans have grown accustomed to.

Of course you assume that we listen to another team like the Colts?? Personally I like the Miami fans who post how wonderful they are going to be this year.. or even better the Jets fans with their imposter coach.

What they forget is that it's the poorer teams that have the openings for rookies and the better quality teams have fewer openings. In addition, if you look at the Pats roster, there is usually a 20% turnover (10 positions) every year. It's just that the Pats use FA and not just the draft to upgrade.

We talk about draft years and not offseasons because we can sit on our fat a s s e s and watch the draft in 1 weekend. Offseasons including FA are too long. They're not "events".

WE talk about the draft of 83 or 98 or whatever because ESPN and NFLN and the networks do. They talk about them, because they are news events. But we can't talk about the offseason the same way in our TV/internet culture.

Dont get me wrong, the draft IS an event... the next day, you do get to "open your christmas presents." But because it IS an event, it gets overrated in terms of its place in the whole picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes