PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We still need an outside WR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we will see this thread again next year

Just like we see we need DBs and Pass rushers every year since 07

Maybe the threads will stop once Bill addresses these needs adequately :confused:

I think we will see this thread again next year

Just like we see we need DBs and Pass rushers every year since 07

Maybe the threads will stop once Bill addresses these needs adequately :confused:

Jones and Hightower say "Hi"

we have 13 mil in cap space....hope some or a lot of that goes to WR help...another CB ane DE

The have 65 guys under contract, so they have 25 spots to fill - most of which will be guys with no shot at making the roster. Probably only 7-8 of them will have a good chance of making the final 53. Hopefully a WR or 3 are amongst that group.

Correct, most of the rest of the guys that will fill the roster will be undrafted free agents.

Jones and Hightower say "Hi"

Right lets act like our pass rush is solved by 2 guys that quite frankly underwhelmed their rookie years. They both have the potential to be very good, but I'm not smoking the crack pipe here like some thinking Jones is going to have 15-20 sacks. He was very inconsistent with his pass rush despite being our best pass rusher. Hightower was just ok this rookie year nothing to brag about.

Right lets act like our pass rush is solved by 2 guys that quite frankly underwhelmed their rookie years. They both have the potential to be very good, but I'm not smoking the crack pipe here like some thinking Jones is going to have 15-20 sacks. He was very inconsistent with his pass rush despite being our best pass rusher. Hightower was just ok this rookie year nothing to brag about.

Jones's injury derailed a possible DPOY year

And Hightower was able to handle a LOT of responsibilities last year...this year he will focus on handling them more efficiently.. our LB corps may b the strongest unit on the team, wait and see

And Hightower was able to handle a LOT of responsibilities last year...this year he will focus on handling them more efficiently.. our LB corps may b the strongest unit on the team, wait and see

Ok I'm sorry, but him getting injured the last 2 years (back to his college days, which also robbed him of his explosiveness) isn't making me feel all cuddly because he's a stud when healthy. He has now shown for two years in a row that he cannot play effectively when hurt so acting like the pass rush has been adequately addressed as I stated in my original post is not logical.

And I still am baffled at why Hightower was brought up in response to concerns over the pass rush, I assumed it was because Hightower had a high sack% on his blitz so I acknowledged it. Still it doesn't do much to help the pass rush.

Our LB corps also can't cover a dead horse, which is a problem. They sure can stop the run though!

I will repost this:

Already Lloyd and Sanders are available. According to rotoworld, Davone Bess may be available soon. Davone Bess - Miami Dolphins - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

"The Palm Beach Post considers Davone Bess the Dolphins' No. 1 veteran in danger of being cut.
Bess and his non-guaranteed $2.63 million salary have been squarely on the bubble since the Dolphins signed Brandon Gibson. Cutting Bess would clear $2.7 million in cap space. Beat writer Ben Volin wouldn't be "shocked" if Bess was traded before or during the draft. It's getting harder to envision Bess in a Dolphins uniform come Week 1. Mar 29 - 11:25 AM"

Just be patient guys. We will have another proven outside threat by week 1. Until then don't wet your panties over low risk moderate reward depth signings like Jenkins.

The Pats still need moar pass rush weapons. Because of those said injuries.

Patriots trade #29 & '14 4th round to Redskins for #51 & #85

#51- Quinton Patton
#59- Markus Wheaton
#85- Aaron Dobson
#91- Ryan Swope

Send all four out to California with Amendola & Jones to work out with Brady and Hernandez.

Four receivers is about as likely as winning the Powerball.

In any case, on a minor note, for 29 -> 51 and 85, it's the Redskins that need to cough up a 2014 pick, not the Patriots.

Patriots trade #29 & '14 4th round to Redskins for #51 & #85

#51- Quinton Patton
#59- Markus Wheaton
#85- Aaron Dobson
#91- Ryan Swope

Send all four out to California with Amendola & Jones to work out with Brady and Hernandez.
-
2010- Tight Ends
2011- Running Backs
2012- Defense
?2013- Wide Recievers?

LOL, we're not going to draft 4 wide receivers. I see 2 tops, and most likely not more than 1 in the top 3 rounds. Pats main needs now are outside WR sure, but also include passrusher and secondary depth.

Those expecting a Sanders signing and the drafting of a WR with a high pick or 2 receivers drafted in the 1st 3 rounds are going to be disappointed, I fear, once the draft has come and gone.

I just don't see them doubling up on the position. Developing young receivers is hard enough without trying to develop 2 at the same time. Despite all the WR hysteria, the Patriots do have other positions which could use an infusion of young talent such as DL, OL and DB.

Wait you guys thought I was being serious about drafting 4 receivers? It was a joke about people complaining in March (five months before the season) about having no depth at the receiver position.

I just don't see them doubling up on the position.

I guess you missed 2010 & 2011.

Some people never thought they would double up on the TE position after Graham and Watson failed here. 2010 doubled up on that position to some peoples disgust.

Some people never thought they'd draft running backs in the higher rounds after the Maroney debacle and signing Green-Ellis has an UDFA. Doubled up on that position in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back