PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We should sign a Veteran ILB

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickw308810

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
While doing our mock draft for the NFLfans.com today, I realized that there just aren't many good ILB prospects for our system in this draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran like a Jamie Sharper type signed just for the lack of talent in the draft. Plus doesn't Belichick usually like veteran LB? Who would you guys suggest we draft on day 2 tomorrow? I was a big Kai Parham fan but after the poor times he would be hard to take before the 5th. Schlegel, Ingram, McGarigle? Risks like Leon Williams or Aj Nicholson? Nothing sounds too appealing.

Last edited:
nickw308810 said:
While doing our mock draft for the NFLfans.com today, I realized that there just aren't many good ILB prospects for our system in this draft. I wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran like a Jamie Sharper type signed just for the lack of talent in the draft. Plus doesn't Belichick usually like veteran LB? Who would you guys suggest we draft on day 2 tomorrow? I was a big Kai Parham fan but after the poor times he would be hard to take before the 5th. Schlegel, Ingram, McGarigle? Risks like Leon Williams or Aj Nicholson? Nothing sounds too appealing.
Maybe there aren't any that are really TRUE run stuffing ILBs...

Bruschi and Vrabel weren't true ILB's either. I think Chad Greenway would make it as an ILB. He's smart enough for the job,

Come training camp time there will be cuts around the league. Keith Bullock comes to mind. Just to name one. Believe me there will be lots of veteran LB's available when teams starts cutting their rosters down..... :rocker:

Consider it as an exercise in Belichickian philosophy...

You start out with three starting LBs, OLB Rosie Colvin, ILB Tedy Bruschi, and Utility LB Mike Vrabel - now you build your LB corps thinking in terms of "role" players.

Roles to consider:
- Run Stuffer
- Coverage
- Signal Caller
- Edge Rusher
- Blitzer
- Special Teams

BB's linebackers are all mixed together to create trouble for opposing offenses. Whether you shop for a draft target, a free agent, or a trade option, look at them not as a complete package, but as role players who fill a more specific need.

Fun ain't it!

Box_O_Rocks said:
Consider it as an exercise in Belichickian philosophy...

You start out with three starting LBs, OLB Rosie Colvin, ILB Tedy Bruschi, and Utility LB Mike Vrabel - now you build your LB corps thinking in terms of "role" players.

Roles to consider:
- Run Stuffer
- Coverage
- Signal Caller
- Edge Rusher
- Blitzer
- Special Teams

BB's linebackers are all mixed together to create trouble for opposing offenses. Whether you shop for a draft target, a free agent, or a trade option, look at them not as a complete package, but as role players who fill a more specific need.

Fun ain't it!
Actually its quite simple once you get use to it. Its easy to ask yourself these questions.

Trouble with law?
Is he a hard working player on and off the field?
A teamate favorite and leader?
Big Mouth?

How can we truly know if there are, or aren't, many good ILB prospects in the draft when the way BB/Pioli rate players varies so wildly from how most scouts - and the services used by most of the NFL - are the ones responsible for the online rankings?

SeanBruschi54 said:
Actually its quite simple once you get use to it. Its easy to ask yourself these questions.

Trouble with law?
Is he a hard working player on and off the field?
A teamate favorite and leader?
Big Mouth?
I understood Nick's problem to be finding players who can meet the physical demands of being a Patriots' ILB. I assumed he was screening for the desired behavioral characteristics.

I disagree. I see little need at ILB for 2006-2007. We could bring in someone to compete with Claridge and Beisel for backup spots, but it is not a great need.
=========================
INSIDE LINEBACKERS

Do you feel that our current ILB combination isn't good enough?
STARTERS Bruschi, Vrabel
BACKUPS Beisel, Claridge

I think the ILB's (the heart of the 34, along with the NT) will be better this year with the starters having a full year together and Beisel and Claridge having time to learn the system.

The bottom line is that we are fine at ILB, although someone could replace Beisel or Claridge in camp.

There is no reason for another experiment. This position is fine!!!
=======================================================

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

How was our production at this position last year. I think it was fine, with Colvin improving in each game. We need to replace McGinist and Chad Brown.
Likely, we will find one player not as productive as McGinist and another much more productive than Brown. And perhaps Banta-Cain will be OK as a backup.

STARTERS Colvin, ????
BACKUPS Banta-Cain, ????

The answer is three additions fighting for 2-3 spots. The answer is NOT moving Vrabel again.
=============================================

I bet you we go into the season with Beisel in the middle. Just a feeling.

I really felt like his play improved paying with Bruschi and not Brown, and playing behind Seymour. The thing is, this is a real complex defense to learn. Perhaps Beisel has learned it and become the solid LB we expected. Who knows?

I don't see any real vets out there we'll go after.

We should sign a Veteran ILB...

Inside or Outside. We will around training camp when teams let go of some quality players and were $10M under.

I think cowart is made to order for this team.

The Answer to your query...

There is one guy who I think could be the ILB that you want. But he is also a highly sought OLB too. That guy is Bobby Carpenter.

Carpenter could play outside like Vrabel, as he has the speed and quickness to rush the passer, (not as good as willie), but like Phifer, Tedy and Vrabel he has the instincts and size to play inside too.

I think with AJ Hawk on the OS team, as well as two slower but nonetheless good LBs, he was relegated to OLB where he starred. I suspect however his best position is ILB and could be a perennial Probowler like Butkus, Nobis, Urlacher,. Lanier et cetera at ILB.

Thankfully his broken leg may let him slide to the Patriots at #21. He may even be the reason that BB/SP let Willie walk...

Carpenter is the one I liked of those predicted to be available,too.

Veterans available

Here is a partial list of LBs that are available that - size wise - are Patriot type LBs

POS Name Type Yr Ht/Wt College Old Current Team
MLB Jamie Sharper UFA 9 6-3/240 Virginia Seattle
MLB Chris Claiborne UFA 7 6-3/255 USC St. Louis
MLB Earl Holmes UFA 10 6-2/250 Florida A&M Detroit
MLB DaShon Polk UFA 6 6-2/242 Arizona Houston
MLB Rob Morris UFA 6 6-2/240 BYU Indianapolis
MLB Brad Kassell UFA 4 6-3/240 North Texas Tennessee
MLB Trev Faulk UFA 4 6-3/240 LSU St. Louis
MLB Ben Taylor UFA 4 6-2/245 Virginia Tech Cleveland
MLB Orlando Ruff UFA 7 6-3/253 Furman Cleveland
MLB Clint Kriewaldt UFA 7 6-1/242 Wisconsin, Stevens Point Pittsburgh
OLB Brandon Short UFA 6 6-3/253 Penn State Carolina
OLB Antwan Peek RFA 3 6-3/250 Cincinnati Houston
OLB Nick Greisen UFA 4 6-1/242 Wisconsin NY Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back