Welcome to PatsFans.com

We should be talking nice and negotiating with these people

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Being a realist, I sometimes chuckle at all the talking points about diplomacy, negotiation, playing nice, and signing kumbaya with certain people, nations, and/or groups. I'm not saying we shouldn't be doing any of that, I'm merely trying to convey that peace through negotiation tends to require two entities of sane mind. When I read stories like this one, or about a rape victim being sentenced to death, or seeing pictures of homosexuals hung in a square, and even video's of women being stoned in public, I can't help shake my head, and wonder.

Calls in Sudan for Execution of Briton

Nov 30, 10:17 AM (ET)

By MOHAMED OSMAN

KHARTOUM, Sudan (AP) - Thousands of Sudanese, many armed with clubs and knives, rallied Friday in a central square and demanded the execution of a British teacher convicted of insulting Islam for allowing her students to name a teddy bear "Muhammad."

The protesters streamed out of mosques after Friday sermons, as pickup trucks with loudspeakers blared messages against Gillian Gibbons, the teacher who was sentenced Thursday to 15 days in prison and deportation. She avoided the more serious punishment of 40 lashes.

They massed in central Martyrs Square outside the presidential palace, where hundreds of riot police were deployed. They did not try to stop the rally, which lasted about an hour.

"Shame, shame on the U.K.," protesters chanted. They called for Gibbons' execution, saying, "No tolerance: Execution," and "Kill her, kill her by firing squad."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071130/D8T82JV80.html
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

So do you think we should go to war against the Sudan or not talk to them, since I guess those are the only two choices you support. (We could do sanctions but that would require diplomatic action for it to work.)
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Anyone caught in that sh-thole full of lunatics should have their head examined. You go there, you better be vey careful or you suffer the consequences. It's like pouring gasoline on yourself, lighting a match and being surprised when you burst into flames. You need to do humanitarian work, try the slums and garbage piles outside of Rio or the devastation in Bangladesh.
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

The loony do-gooders better stay the hell out of those Muslim country's.

Still haven't heard from the "good ones", they aren't even on the Lefty News Media, if one does pop up he will be all over CNN & CBS, Cute Perky Katie will be screaming "see, see, we found one"

Poor Rodney King, the scumbags burned a city down for him but the same bastards are dead silent over a bunch of filthy scummy, smelly savages that wan't to flog a women and then kill her over a f=-cking Teddy Bear.

Disgusting Situation, the Lefty Loons make excuses for them because they the enemy of The Bush America.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

No, no, no...I'm not saying anything of the sort. I'm simply putting forth the fact that you can't rationalize with madmen.
  6. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

They're not mad. Thy just have a medieval religious perspective. They can be appealed to on grounds of compassion, religion, relations, etc. It's sure not easy, but it's certainly been done before. Unfortunately, the fact that the Brits and Americans are seen by many as infidels in the ME doesn't help matters.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

That line is priceless Wistah.

I'll say that we agree about the risks involved in going to those places, but for some, they see the despair that exists there, and they want to try to help. I'm all for people doing that, but at the same time, they have to understand the risks.
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Like I was saying, you just can't rationalize with madmen.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I can't believe these people are going crazy because some woman called this...

[​IMG]

...Mohammed. WTF is wrong with these people?

Look at this guy with the machete. I just read there's 10,000 people chanting "kill her, killer her". Imagine if we brought a Piss Mohammed display over there. :eek:

[​IMG]
  10. scott c

scott c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You should be the one Patters who goes over there and explains your point of view to them and tell them to smarten the *****up,or else.:D
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

This foolish women is an in your face do-gooder people like her crave attention, well she's getting plenty of it now, many of these people who are out to change the world into a lovey dovey wonderland have about as much commonsense as a rock, they really believe that these savages are going to slobber and fawn all over them just because they are there, this poor fool probably thought she had the freedom to name Teddy "Muhammad" she probaly thought she had civil liberties in that land of murderers and tyrants, those people kill each other like Col Sanders kills his chickens, they are a nation of animals, do-gooders should do-good at home, I bet there are a lot of children right in the UK that could have used her help.

She reminds me of the Puffed Up Movie Stars that skip over to Africa with all their money and adopt African kids while there are thousands right here in their own country just waiting for a parent to come along. You will see people like this parading around with their little "Kids from over there" these people are always looking around trying to catch your eye and when they do they they are thinking to themselves, "see how wonderful I am, I'm not predjudiced"-----Phony's and very dangerous to the kids they adopt, they screw the kids minds all up.

All you liberal do-gooders better think twice about trying to do-good in those third world sh!t holes, you may lose your head.

There are a few orphanages up in the Appalachin Mts that have a whole bunch of little white kids that would love a nice family home, I wonder if Brad Pitt or Madonna would be interested.
    I feel sorry for that school teacher over there in that hell hole because she probably really believed that those savages were human.
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You wanna know something, Patters...? ya see these people that you say "can be appealed to on grounds of compassion, religion, relations"...?

Guess what...? You're the first one they would execute if you lived in a place where they were running the show.
  13. scott c

scott c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wasnt gonna bring that up.........................:rolleyes:
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

You're right.
    They're not mad.
    They're FRIGGIN NUTS!
    Having a medieval religious perspective in the 21st century makes them INSANE!
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Amen Wistah. Doh! Can I say amen in here? :D These people are lunatics. They are carrying machete's, burning ****, and chanting "kill her, kill her", cuz she named a teddy bear Mohammed. Think about that people.
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Oh, yeah, my point has been disproven alright. Why don't you go vacation there then? PLEASE. Yeah, they're not savage primitives anymore. :rolleyes: I guess Saudi Arabia isn't savage primitive either since they are reviewing the stoning verdict for that rape victim? :rolleyes: Didn't so. That the woman was in this position to begin with is the point Patters, but we know how you and reality mix right? It's like Superman and cryptonite. You don't.
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Don't change the subject. You implied you can't negotiate with those people. ("I sometimes chuckle at all the talking points about diplomacy, negotiation, playing nice, and singing kumbaya with certain people, nations, and/or groups. I'm not saying we shouldn't be doing any of that, I'm merely trying to convey that peace through negotiation tends to require two entities of sane mind.")

Well, they negotiated and the teacher was released. I'm not defending the religious nuts; all I'm saying is that negotiation can work.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Patters, you really don't get it do you? Can you negotiate with that mob? Can you negotiate with people who would kill a female teacher for naming a teddy bear Mohammed? That's the point. That they jailed this woman over such stupidity, and were looking at giving her 40 lashes, besides the tens of thousands of machete carrying loons who wanted her dead, is what I'm talking about. Of course they let her go, they saw the mob, saw the negative press they were getting, were probably threatened by multiple world bodies, and released her under pressure. I'm glad they let her go, but that doesn't change the fact that she was in jail in the first place.
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

All I'm saying is that negotiation set her free. Remember that.

The mob was a protest in front of the government. I don't agree with that mob anymore than I agree with the mob of Fred Phelps supporters or Aryan Nation supporters. I don't agree with the fundamentalism of the Sudanese government, but they acted within reason in this case. Jailing her of course was wrong, but in every country you can find examples of the law being applied in bad ways -- What about the Judge here who released the Romney appointee who went on to murder 2 people? Let's not be so small minded as to make assumptions about an entire people based on one incident.