PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We need young offensive players!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are definitely options in the draft, and with many early round picks we can certainly find someone (not to mention we already have Brandon Tate ready to step up, hopefully). But I think the real answer is free angency. Instead of risking another poor draft outing on offense (Maroney, Jackson, Waston) we should let history teach us a lesson and go after a proven playmaker instead. Brandon Marshall could very well be on his way out the door in Denver, and I'm sure BB could talk McDaniels into a trade.

I know a lot of people will say that Marshall is a cancer to the locker room, but this team has turned bad attitudes into solid playmakers before (Dillon, Rodney, Moss). I think the best way to build a winner is through free agency FIRST, then use the draft as more of a building block instead of the primary form of adding talent.

We always need playmakers on both sides of the ball. However, the fact remains that the offense will not be maintained and get better if we contiune to draft 7 defensive players and 1 offensive player as we have in the 1st three rounds over the past three years.

The offense needs a starting quality guard or two, two wide receivers, a starting quality running back or two, a starting quality tight end, a developmental quarterback, and a developmental OT. The offensive cupboard is bare.

All of those things are not going to happen this off season, it just isnt possible to get impact players at all those positions and needs in one off season. I truely think it will take 2 more years to get back to the days where the Pats were the most feared team in the NFL. Next year we will be better than this year, but theres no guarantee that we will be SB contenders although it is very possible.

This offseason I think we can get the 2 WR's because that is an immediate need. I can see us drafting a OT and a guard in this draft and hopefully they turn out to be immediate impact players like Vollmer. I cant see us adding a RB this off season. I really do hope we keep Maroney around. As for a QB I think its too early to start thinking about Brady's replacement. At the earliest it would be next season, but even then Brady will probably sign an extension after next season and be around 4 or 5 more years and why draft a QB that is going to be on the sidelines for 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:
???????
Mankins is a RFA. We will tender him. He might hold out, but is likely to play for 2010.
Neal is ready to retire or collapse whichever comes first.
We need TWO guards, one to start this year and one to start next.
We could do with only one, but he would need to be expected to start.
=====================================================
I'm fine with the OT's for 2010, but Light will be gone in 2011, and a developmental OT would hurt. This is especially a good idea if he also plays OG.

Your assertion that Mankins won't be on the team in 2010 is just flat out wrong. As an RFA that has made 2 pro-bowls in the last 3 years its almost certain that Mankins is going to recieve the top tender, meaning that any other team that wants to sign him will have to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick to sign him. Now if somebody wants to give up a 1st and a 3rd for Logan Mankins then I say good riddance but that likely won't happen.

We can't make any guesses about Stephen Neal's intent to play next season but for the sake of argument let's say he does retire. Then one of Levoir or Connolly steps up and takes his spot and they spend a low draft pick to round out the needs.

The Patriots don't sign players to play just one position. They all practice and know other positions to maximize their options when circumstance keeps their players off the field. They don't need to draft for specific positions on the offensive line and when you consider that they need to carry at a minimum 8 players(currently carrying 11 lineman) and over the next 2 years you can only really count on 2 retiring, the offensive line is clearly not something to worry about.

Last edited:
In a pass happy league ... where everyone is gearing their teams to stop the pass. I wouldn't mind Bill building a team now that rushes more than it passes. It will extend Brady's career by a few years if he does it.

???????
Mankins is a RFA. We will tender him. He might hold out, but is likely to play for 2010.
I'm fine with the OT's for 2010, but Light will be gone in 2011, and a developmental OT would hurt. This is especially a good idea if he also plays OG.

The offensive line is not an issue whatsoever.

Maybe, it's time to kick Kaczur inside.....

In a pass happy league ... where everyone is gearing their teams to stop the pass. I wouldn't mind Bill building a team now that rushes more than it passes. It will extend Brady's career by a few years if he does it.

Excellent point. Too bad they didn't realize this six months ago. Banged up QB and new "OC". Do the math, go pound some people and get an attitude going.

We need a FB and a legit RB, CJ Spiller! Definitely the FB though....

Maybe, it's time to kick Kaczur inside.....

I'll agree with you on that. If I had my say in the matter, Vollmer would start at LT with Light at RT and Kaczur moving into the first backup role. I don' t think Light has what it takes to stay at LT anymore but he's definitely not done yet.

Last edited:
???????

The offensive line is not an issue whatsoever.

Keep in mind that if we can keep Light for one more year, we can tender (or resign Mankins), keep Light at LT, keep Vollmer at RT, and move Kaczur in at guard where he would be more effective, and draft a franchise RT for a year later when Vollmer moves over to LT. Either that, or we can draft a franchise RG (depending on what BB and Dante want to do with Kaczur). There are really a ton of options when it comes to improving the O-Line...

We need more offensive playmakers, but if your DeSean Jackson sentence was meant as a jab at Randy Moss, you are uninformed. Jackson does not receive the same type of coverage from opposing defenses as Randy Moss does. Further, Jackson had 14 yards against this Cowboys on Saturday, 47 yards the week before that also against the Cowboys, and 33 yards the week before than against Denver. 8 of DeSean's 16 games featured 3 catches or less this year. He's an excellent player, and I'd love to have him, but he's not Randy Moss.

I am undecided on Gillyard, is he simply a great college player, or will he be a big time NFL player? He likely won't wow anyone with size/speed numbers at the combine. There's a number of very good receivers in the NFL who didn't wow in shorts and t shirts either, but recent success stories like Jackson, Harvin (and to a lesser extent Mike Wallace and Johnny Knox) all were very fast.

Haha just a little jab at Moss, but in all seriousness they are two different receivers. Jackson has shown himself to be more explosive than Moss this year and its too be expected with the age difference. Gillyard is simmilar to Jackson but he has a height and weight advantage but Im not sure hes as fast.

Your solution to our RG is to have a player who is an OK RT start at a position that he has never played,

???????

Keep in mind that if we can keep Light for one more year, we can tender (or resign Mankins), keep Light at LT, keep Vollmer at RT, and move Kaczur in at guard where he would be more effective, and draft a franchise RT for a year later when Vollmer moves over to LT. Either that, or we can draft a franchise RG (depending on what BB and Dante want to do with Kaczur). There are really a ton of options when it comes to improving the O-Line...

Your solution to our RG is to have a player who is an OK RT start at a position that he has never played

Kaczur is versatile enough to do it.

We always need playmakers on both sides of the ball. However, the fact remains that the offense will not be maintained and get better if we contiune to draft 7 defensive players and 1 offensive player as we have in the 1st three rounds over the past three years.

The offense needs a starting quality guard or two, two wide receivers, a starting quality running back or two, a starting quality tight end, a developmental quarterback, and a developmental OT. The offensive cupboard is bare.
Why don't you just look at the first five rounds of the 2006 NFL Draft for the New England Patriots.

We have played Light, Mankins, Kopeen, Connolly, Vollmer

Why wouldn't we play Kaczur intead of Connolly. If there was a game injury to an OT, kaczur could move over, or LeVoir could play.

Kaczur is behind Vollmer at RT, behind Light at LT and behind Connolly at RG. So, Kaczur may be a valuable backup, albeit a bit expensive.

Because Kaczur was a better LT than Connolly was. :confused:

Haha just a little jab at Moss, but in all seriousness they are two different receivers. Jackson has shown himself to be more explosive than Moss this year and its too be expected with the age difference. Gillyard is simmilar to Jackson but he has a height and weight advantage but Im not sure hes as fast.

I love Gilyard. He's just a tough kid, runs excellent routes, and has that deceptive burst.

He reminds me of Jerry Rice and Peter Warrick. LOL. 4.6 40 guys with great hands, great burst, run good routes, one is the best ever, and the other is a bust. Maybe Gilyard will be something in between. I'd love to have him on the Patriots.

We have played Light, Mankins, Kopeen, Connolly, Vollmer

Why wouldn't we play Kaczur intead of Connolly. If there was a game injury to an OT, kaczur could move over, or LeVoir could play.

Kaczur is behind Vollmer at RT, behind Light at LT and behind Connolly at RG. So, Kaczur may be a valuable backup, albeit a bit expensive.

Kaczur practiced as a tackle this year, making the point about his not playing guard during the past season a useless one. What matters is where they have him practicing this offseason. As a longtime advocate of trying Kaczur at guard, I understand that he may not be able to make the switch.

Now, for the your original post in this thread, and going off only what's currently "on" the team:

WR - Tate, Edelman, Welker - 3 players under 29, 2 coming off of rookie seasons

TE - Baker, Watson - ages 29 and 30

RB - Maroney, still a puppy at just 24 years old

O-line - Vollmer, Orhnberger, Bassey, Connolly and Levoir are all 27 or younger

QB - Hoyer's another puppy

Youth isn't what's needed, on either side of the ball, although it's not something to be avoided either. What's needed, on both sides of the ball, is top-level talent. That's where the team's failure has been. By replacing excellent players (Bruschi, Harrison, Seymour, Vrabel, Dillon, Graham [as a blocker]) with lesser players over the years and sometimes too late, the team has lost its talent edge over the rest of the league. Whether it's going to be via the draft, free agency or act of God, the team needs to find more Richard Seymour players instead of fielding a squad of Myron Pryor/Jarvis Green players.

Last edited:

Mankins is a RFA this season, just so you know.

And the fact that there are so many options to improving the O-Line speaks to its strength and how it should be one of the last things the franchise focuses on improving.

I agree that there is little talent in the youthful players you listed other than Welker, Vollmer and Edelman.

Kaczur practiced as a tackle this year, making the point about his not playing guard during the past season a useless one. What matters is where they have him practicing this offseason. As a longtime advocate of trying Kaczur at guard, I understand that he may not be able to make the switch.

Now, for the your original post in this thread, and going off only what's currently "on" the team:

WR - Tate, Edelman, Welker - 3 players under 29, 2 coming off of rookie seasons

TE - Baker, Watson - ages 29 and 30

RB - Maroney, still a puppy at just 24 years old

O-line - Vollmer, Orhnberger, Bassey, Connolly and Levoir are all 27 or younger

QB - Hoyer's another puppy

Youth isn't what's needed, on either side of the ball, although it's not something to be avoided either. What's needed, on both sides of the ball, is top-level talent. That's where the team's failure has been. By replacing excellent players (Bruschi, Harrison, Seymour, Vrabel, Dillon, Graham [as a blocker]) with lesser players over the years and sometimes too late, the team has lost its talent edge over the rest of the league. Whether it's going to be via the draft, free agency or act of God, the team needs to find more Richard Seymour players instead of fielding a squad of Myron Pryor/Jarvis Green players.

I agree that there is little talent in the youthful players you listed other than Welker, Vollmer and Edelman.

If only I had said that, we could actually agree. I didn't make that claim, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back