Welcome to PatsFans.com

We need some sort of power running game

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SVN, Dec 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0

i think maroney ran hard for a 2-3 yards tonite but always seemed to be trying too hard . And the fact that they cant use him in the redzone much or at least dont really shows they morris. Is there anyone out there this late we can sign just to rush up the middle for 3-4 yards without trying to cutback ? or is it just the technique of our o line ?
  2. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I dunno....but I wouldn't expect a power running game next week. The Steelers haven't given up a 100 yard game all year and traditionally the way we've attacked Pitt in the past is to go 3-4 wide and spread them out. We'll see, but these last 3 games have not been ideal as far as getting better running the ball.
  3. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0

get ready to hear more next week from the analysts about how we dont run enough
  4. Ishdul

Ishdul Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

To be honest, our run blocking always seems to suck, even when our running is good. It's a smaller, lighter line and we're much better at pass protection. Ngata basically started in our backfield today.
  5. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I expect it. They have to have something every week and that will be it this time, along with how Willie "Skillet Paws" Parker will light us up. I wasn't the least bit impressed with Pitt the other night BTW. Thought they looked average.
  6. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0

well..so did we tonite for most part.
  7. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I guess I expected more out of a Steelers team on their home field against a team that is worse than Baltimore. The Bengals are in disarray.

I see this game differently than most. It was a grinder, like many, many before it. We got spoiled with the easy blowout games and suddenly fans forget what it was like to win games ugly like we did in 2003 and 2004. This was one of those nights.
  8. frankiesfly

frankiesfly Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Believe me. I'm missing Sammy Morris too. It's a matter of time before our one demensional team loses. The only way I think we can fix it now is, just to give Evans more carries. Maroney isn't the guy that can give us that dependable running game, especially power running. Have Evans and Maroney split carries right down the middle. The only way Maroney is going to be useful is by throwing to him and giving him the opportuntiy to run after catch. I said this in the game thread. We should use Maroney more like the way the Saints use Reggie Bush. The Saints know that they're not going to get power running from Bush, so they throw to him out in the flat. The way the Saints running game is hurting without Duece, we are hurting with out Morris. Now we see how important Dillion was for us. Dillion made Maroney look better than he really is, because Maroney wasn't depended on like he is now.
  9. SteelCity88

SteelCity88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Actually 3 games ago was the first running back to gain over 100 yds on the Steeler in 35 games, so it has been done to us this year. We did drop 2 easy games this year (Broncos and Jets) but the Zona game was a trap, their coaches new our team better than ours did lol. I dont count the waterpolo game last week as a bad game, the conditions merit that a toss up. I think our Defense will surprise you. But if that last game didnt impress you, how bout your team turning it over 4 times and still win by 2 scores!
  10. hwc

hwc On the Roster

Ratings:
    +201 / 4 / -1

This game felt more like one of those 2001 wins!
  11. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Our blowout win against Cincy in their crib when they were still halfway viable didn't impress me much, so pardon me if I'm not in awe of Pittsburgh's win at home. That said, I think the Pitt D is quite good.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  12. Hollywood_Brady

Hollywood_Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

isn't lamont jordan available now?
  13. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +178 / 35 / -22

No Jersey Selected

Not yet, but Kevin Barlow, Ciatrick Fason and Verron Haynes still are. So too is, ahem, Corey Dillon. But he's not walking through that door.

What this offense needs to do, is Want to Run the Ball.

The HC, OC, QB and OL need an attitude adjustment.

They need to use Split-T, Power-I, Pro-Wishbone (one FB behind the QB, two HBs split) and Inverted-Wishbone (two FBs split, one HB) formations. If that means only having two WRs on the field more often, then so be it. The beauty of those, or any, running formations is that passing plays can be used from play-action, dropback or shotgun. These lethargic draw plays give the lone RB no momentum whatsoever, because he has to stand still to wait for the handoff. Now, draw plays are great, when used sparingly and properly, e.g. on 2nd-and-long.

I also think that maybe it's time to give Ryan O'Callahan a start at RT. He can't be much worse of a turnstyle than Kaczur has been, and his run-blocking has to be better.

This old, slow, decrepit defense needs to stay off the field as long as possible; what better way to insure that than by running the ball more, and taking valuable time off the clock?
  14. MrTibbs

MrTibbs Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You are incorrect, the Jets Thomas Jones ran for over 100 yards on the Jets defense.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  15. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't know about the power running game being really effective against a good D like the Steelers, especially since I think the Patriots O-line hasn't been the greatest at run blocking of late.

I will say that it should be quite obvious to us that NE needs to start using Maroney more, and I don't mean simply as a runner. Laurence put up 123 total offensive yards against the Ravens (if some of you didn't realize).

All I can say is this is not the week for any posters of this board to be calling him a bust, as he was a major part of NE's offensive success against the Ravens.
  16. MrTibbs

MrTibbs Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd say at least try and run the ball to make playaction a part of the game. The Steelers over commit a lot and playaction could leave big plays to be had on their defense.

Playaction passing was part of the game plans earlier in the season but now it's shotgun every snap damn near the first 2 quarters until they see it doesn't work like it use to then they decide to run it in the 3rd.

I just can't see them winning out with this sort of approach. Someone is going to hang a big fat L on them and it wouldn't surprise me if it's in the playoffs.
  17. Barnsie

Barnsie Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It would seem to me that a power running game would be at its best right now. Everybody is double covering Randy Moss, so that should allow us to have a bit more running room. If we want to open things up for Randy and the passing game, why not add more runs to the mix? If we can make it work from the shotgun, that's good too.

That said, I do love the shotgun, and I think Brady does a great job running the offense while he is in it. A few more runs to keep the defense honest will only help to open things up even more and give us the PA pass.
  18. 37Harrison

37Harrison Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -2

#37 Jersey

I never thought I would say this but, I miss Sammy Morris.

I do agree with ff and think that the Pats should use Maroney like the Saints use Bush. Although I don't think the Pats have the confidence in Maroney's receiving skills for them to use him like that. Maybe last night provided them some of that confidence?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.