PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We need ILB's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying the team is better off with Woods plus 7M of cap space spent somewhere else (next year) than with Colvin.
Don't forget, if you cut a guy only his salary goes away, not the pro-rated signing bonus, so you won't get 7M in cap space by cutting Colvin.

I think I had a post deleted in this thread.

Pretty sure I made a point about how Woods being better than Colvin was absolutely ludicrisp. Is that what set off mcweewee?

Whatever--point stands--Woods is depth, Colvin is quality starting material.

As to the 'who's available question--I wouldn't mind seeing Karlos Dansby in camp...

I think I had a post deleted in this thread.

Pretty sure I made a point about how Woods being better than Colvin was absolutely ludicrisp. Is that what set off mcweewee?

Whatever--point stands--Woods is depth, Colvin is quality starting material.

As to the 'who's available question--I wouldn't mind seeing Karlos Dansby in camp...

never even heard of him...which cant be too good, but not mean a lot either :D

our linebackers are slow, old and very very experienced. whoop-de-do.

Last edited:
Junior's zest for the game

Junior Seau is a freak of nature, BTW. He looks like a rookie energy wise.

I'm surprised no one seems to have remarked all week on
Junior rushing from behind the bench, grabbing for his helmet,
rushing onto the field IN THE FINAL MINUTE ...
trying to become part of the Eckel formation that goalline series.

Body language, when more merciful minds prevailed and hauled him back,
clearly said, "Aw shucks, coach, lemme play!"

Re: Junior's zest for the game

actually, i DID notice that, and it seemed lie seau was completely dissapointed he didnt get to play, LOL...it was great

Not really sure who's left, but what's the status on some of the young guys
-Pierre Woods?
-Jason Alexander(is he injured?)
-Corey Mays(is he still on the roster?)
-Oscar Lua(IR..I think?)
-Any others?

forget Jason Alexander, he hasn't done anything good since seifeld.
Now Eric alexander, he got hurt during a celebration I believe.

forget Jason Alexander, he hasn't done anything good since seifeld.
Now Eric alexander, he got hurt during a celebration I believe.

funny same response another person gave...

also, i checked up on ur sites, and i think the ariz ILB mit actually be pretty good..

funny same response another person gave...

also, i checked up on ur sites, and i think the ariz ILB mit actually be pretty good..

Arizona has an inside linebacker named Mitt? What's his last name? (you forgot a ("t")

Colvin's nursing an ankle injury, which those of us without sight impairment can tell, has had a clearly noticeable effect on his level of play. Before the injury he was a beast against the Chargers, and made some good plays against Buffalo. He sat out most of the Bengals game with the injury and has been trying to get back to 100%. For those saying he hasn't done anything special since the dislocation, I think you're way off. Colvin had 8.5 sacks and 1 FF in 2006, and 7 sacks along with 2 FF's in 2005. For those who don't realize this, the Patriots don't play a sack happy defensive scheme. Really, to me Colvin's 8.5 sacks in the Patriots scheme translates to 11-12 sacks in a scheme like the Bears, Steelers or Chargers. He is also used in pass coverage a lot more than some might realize.

AD: While I've always said I believe him to be a better OLB than ILB, I do think he's been doing a nice job on the inside. Let's not forget that he's also been fighting through injury, and if you're watching him, the injury has taken a noticeable effect on his speed & pass coverage.

Why do I keep seeing "all our LB's are slow, and have trouble in pass coverage"? AD's not at all slow when healthy, and he's good in pass coverage. He just needs to get healthy.

Now, if we're simply saying that we'd like to have another LB with speed and pass coverage ability, then I'm in agreement, but don't sell AD short.

I'd like to draft Rey Maualuga, and believe me, he's faster than his listed 40 time. The guy has sideline-to-sideline ability, stacks hard, delivers punishing blows/tackles to ball carriers, good quickness, and is a smooth mover for his size. He's the type of high intensity guy that I want back there. His size is great for the position (6'3" 255lbs) as well. I believe Maualuga would be even better in the Patriots system than what he has shown to date at USC.

Karlos Dansby is definitely an option this offseason. He's one of the few LB's who'll be out there that I believe could come into NE's defense and be effective his first year. His age (only 25) is also a plus (for me anyways).

Last edited:
Well, so far it's pretty obvious that Belichick doesn't draft linebackers in the higher rounds... he likes to get his linebackers from other teams.

I said the same thing about drafting O-lineman. Then Logan Mankins came along. The drafts for LBs have been weak for the past couple of years, esp. LBs that fit the Pats' system. If Rey Maualuga (sp?) of USC and Laurenitis (again, sp?) of Ohio St. get passed up next April, and no LBs get drafted in the top 3 rounds, then we can confirm that BB won't draft one.

In terms of 2008 free agents, pickings are pretty slim:
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=LB&y=2008

I'd like to draft Rey Maualuga, and believe me, he's faster than his listed 40 time. The guy has sideline-to-sideline ability, stacks hard, delivers punishing blows/tackles to ball carriers, good quickness, and is a smooth mover for his size. He's the type of high intensity guy that I want back there. His size is great for the position (6'3" 255lbs) as well. I believe Maualuga would be even better in the Patriots system than what he has shown to date at USC.

Karlos Dansby is definitely an option this offseason. He's one of the few LB's who'll be out there that I believe could come into NE's defense and be effective his first year. His age (only 25) is also a plus (for me anyways).

:agree: couldn't have said it better myself.

I said the same thing about drafting O-lineman. Then Logan Mankins came along. The drafts for LBs have been weak for the past couple of years, esp. LBs that fit the Pats' system. If Rey Maualuga (sp?) of USC and Laurenitis (again, sp?) of Ohio St. get passed up next April, and no LBs get drafted in the top 3 rounds, then we can confirm that BB won't draft one.

In terms of 2008 free agents, pickings are pretty slim:
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=LB&y=2008

I haven't given up on drafting a monster LB (or DE/OLB) for two reasons.

First is, replacing all the LBs through free agency doesn't add up. Thomas is 30, and acquiring 30 year old linebackers leaves us vulnerable if some don't cut it or are injured. Training one young stud means we can acquire jags or low rounders for years and still have some continuity.

The other reason is we traded firsts and 3rds into next year for practically nothing. We lost one, but you have to wonder what positions Piolichick thought required so many high picks. I can't think of another other than maybe a CB.

(I could possibly see a LT)

Last edited:
Arizona has an inside linebacker named Mitt? What's his last name? (you forgot a ("t")

Ha Ha, my apologies...

that was supposed to read "might", it just got shortened, his name s dansby or something

I thought Dansby was a headcase... didn't he self destruct off-field, rookie year?

Maualuga is a real option... but I thought the same for Posluszny and Harris. Not only didn't BB choose not to draft them, he actually traded out of the draft position where they should have (could have) gone.

Of course, in exchange the Pats got Randy Moss and the SF first rounder, which could turn into Maualuga... which is hard to argue with.

Laurinaitis is an option, too. 245# and agile enough to play in coverage... sounds like a fit. Quentin Groves would have been a top-10 pick this past year, and has the size, too. But it's hard to know whether he can play ILB for us... can he play in space?

I agree with the concept of new blood at MLB next year, and probably at least one OLB.

As far as Colvin goes, he has been "tweaked" and not having Seymour there makes him more vulnerable, with that being said if he wants to continue to be a Patriot may have to restructure contract.

This D is not stat driven and relies more on team stuff, so some of the criticism is not all that valid.

What are we the #3 D in the League, so in reality these are really nice problems.

Last edited:
Re: Junior's zest for the game

I saw the same thing, oh poster formerly known as P2V and F2P. I loved it and made a point of rewinding it for the benefit of Miss Gcat (who indulges my "watch this!" moments).

Addressing the point of the thread:
Yes, we do need to get younger at LB but that's hardly a state secret. Remember that Lua would have at least made PS and possibly the full roster and we have Woods as well. I think we all underestimate the demands of the Pro 3-4 ILB position in particular, where being "College weightroom strong" won't do. You need time with a Pro strength guy, need to learn the techniques of disengaging a 300 lb guard and so on. Then there's learning the scheme. It's asking a hell of a lot of a rookie and those types are very likely to go high in the first. I can see why they prefer to go for vets unless someone exceptional falls to them.

I thought Dansby was a headcase... didn't he self destruct off-field, rookie year?

Maualuga is a real option... but I thought the same for Posluszny and Harris. Not only didn't BB choose not to draft them, he actually traded out of the draft position where they should have (could have) gone.

Of course, in exchange the Pats got Randy Moss and the SF first rounder, which could turn into Maualuga... which is hard to argue with.

Laurinaitis is an option, too. 245# and agile enough to play in coverage... sounds like a fit. Quentin Groves would have been a top-10 pick this past year, and has the size, too. But it's hard to know whether he can play ILB for us... can he play in space?

maualuga and laurinnaitis is good... but the way SF is playing our pick would be in the upper half... and it would be a reach to draft those ilb's... unless we trade down for more picks, but we know BB dont draft linebackers in the 1st round... if we do that we would miss an opportunity to draft a special player (we would around 6-10 in the draft)... a player like phillips safety from miami, ... phillips is a great talent, intelligent, versatile and very high character guy, a true patriot-type player...

maualuga and laurinnaitis is good... but the way SF is playing our pick would be in the upper half... and it would be a reach to draft those ilb's... unless we trade down for more picks, but we know BB dont draft linebackers in the 1st round... if we do that we would miss an opportunity to draft a special player (we would around 6-10 in the draft)... a player like phillips safety from miami, ... phillips is a great talent, intelligent, versatile and very high character guy, a true patriot-type player...

Hey, everyone knows Maualuga and Phillips are my race horses :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back