PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We need ILB's

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'll need some help in the draft and have to sign some veterans.

Colvin will probably be cut next year, he's just not worth 7M or whatever he gets. Bruschi and Seau will probably be gone, like you said. I think at this point Woods could play better than Colvin.

They ran right at Colvin last game and on one play he couldn't get off his block and it went for about 15 yards. Great. That and no sacks, what exactly does he do out there? Got his thumb up his butt if you ask me.

Colvin has been getting the double teams that Seymour usually gets.. Also, while you claim that Colvin couldn't get off the block, you fail to acknowledge that the guy blocking him did a tremendous job...

McBee.. You are always the leader of the "Cry Wolf" crowd... You need to just shut up for once.

Hmm, you think zack thomas will get cut in Miami after this year? My guess it he'll want out, especially if JT leaves, and playing on a great team like that Pats tends to rejuvenate players(see Harrison, seau).

dang, i had rather we look elsewhere...i mean...how old is zack? and isnt hes concussion prone too now...i had rather we take a diffrent road...

if u think back bruschi and ted johnson were both second day draft picks by the pats...why not repeat the rotation today?

Hmm, you think zack thomas will get cut in Miami after this year? My guess it he'll want out, especially if JT leaves, and playing on a great team like that Pats tends to rejuvenate players(see Harrison, seau).
I wouldn't mind seeing Zach in a Patriots uniform. He's a tackle machine!

Here's my thoughts...

1. Colvin's playing great. He always does. It's not just about making "big" plays. He's solid every down and he does alot of little things like disrupting the pass.

2. I'm more worried about Hobbs, who's one of my favorite Pats. But it seems like the bigger receivers run him right over. If T.O. didn't have such bad hands, we'd have been in trouble in the Dallas game.

3. I would take Z. Thomas or J. Taylor without blinking. There's a role for either of those guys. (It might not be every down, but definitely a role is there.) I also hope this Westbrook thing continues to be a problem in Philly. Maybe he's still in touch with Stallworth? We do need more RB depth, apparently.

Well, so far it's pretty obvious that Belichick doesn't draft linebackers in the higher rounds... he likes to get his linebackers from other teams.

He likes to convert defensive ends into linebackers... which is a pretty good idea really.

I like Colvin, but he prolly should take a reasonable pay cut. $7m is pretty steep.

Seau is in awesome shape for his age. WOW...

I love Bruschi, but he is starting to show some age.

Not really sure who's left, but what's the status on some of the young guys
-Pierre Woods?
-Jason Alexander(is he injured?)
-Corey Mays(is he still on the roster?)
-Oscar Lua(IR..I think?)
-Any others?

No. His career has not been the same since Seinfeld, but I don't think's due to injury.

No. His career has not been the same since Seinfeld, but I don't think's due to injury.
:)

Yeah, on the other hand, Eric Alexander has been trying to redeem himself for his AFCCG performance, but has a knee injury.

Last edited:
Colvin, has played well here when he hasn't been hurt, but there lies the problem. I really like Colvin, but since his hip injury, hehasn't been worth the 7 mill. I agree with those who said the pats should extend him to cut down his overall cap hit, because he is more worth the price. I still think his is better than any of the youngers guys ever will be, but I hope I am wrong.

Way too small. Our LBs have to shuck off OLinemen.

dang, i had rather we look elsewhere...i mean...how old is zack? and isnt hes concussion prone too now...i had rather we take a diffrent road...

if u think back bruschi and ted johnson were both second day draft picks by the pats...why not repeat the rotation today?

If by that you mean both first day, you are correct. TJ round two, Tedy round 3.

I feel confident that the Patriots will again scour the FA market this offseason for viable vet additions to the LBers corps.

It feels like Bruschi's 'last hurrah' but who can say for sure?

For Colvin to be compared to Pierre Woods shows a typical lack of understanding - we are typically top 3/4 in run defense, and thats with Colvin on board.

1. OLB/DE convert (I think)
2. Apparently
3. Cinci, last i heard
4. Yeah IR
5. They are using A.D. there mostly with the AARP platoon of Bruschi Seau.
Nothing else I know of.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if Mays was still on the roster.

That is reason enough (I agree with your assessment). I also think they extend him, mostly because how can they not? They still haven't developed any young LBs. (Not knocking Woods and Alexander, but it's different being in the lineup, so they're still "?").

I have to disagree with your assessment on Bruschi and Seau. I'm sure I heard bones creak when we went into the 1 lineman defense against Dallas.

We're walking a tightrope at LB, in my opinion and we fell off during the championship game last year.

I think they're playing OK overall, but they're both deep into their personal 4th quarter and father time hasn't lost a game yet.:(
I have to agree with your assessment of the LB'ers, but I'm also optimistic that when Seymour returns, this will free up Thomas to hopefully pass rush a little more and maybe we won't have to be so concerned about the run. What say you?

has anyone noticed this? even this yr with a great core of LB's, we still need a great amount of ILB's...

Yep, we've noticed. :)

For months leading up to the draft, the #1 topic of conversation on the draft board was which ILB the Pats would choose. Joke's on us! Granted, the AD signing added some flexibility, but I still would have felt a lot better with promising young LB learning the ropes this year. But this year, I find myself asking: who's available as a FA for 2008?

:D Oops! I guess I'm watching too many Seinfeld reruns during the week! Can't help it. I loved that show.

I have to agree with your assessment of the LB'ers, but I'm also optimistic that when Seymour returns, this will free up Thomas to hopefully pass rush a little more and maybe we won't have to be so concerned about the run. What say you?

I think we're stout against the run and better with Seymour. I don't see us covering the middle very well in those nickel dime packages. Between Rodney Bru and Seau, a combination of rust and age A.D.'s stil getting acclimated and wilson hasn't been aggressive since 2004 IMO.

I just don't see the athleticism/aggression among safeties and ILBs we had a couple years ago.

In the run game, Big Vince, Warren and Sey are going to be owning opposing lines and I think Seau and Bru will finish them off fine, that's not a problem.

They're fine with 3 linemen, questionable otherwise IMO, at least that's what i saw at dallas.

[
OK Mcbee since you made with the Dire Wolf quote did you know that Colts owner Bob Irsay currently owns Garcia's Wolf guitar? Holy crap all the Pats got to counter that is Jon Bon Jovi...Were Doomed.

as denny green said "they are what they are". This old frail linebacking core has deficiencies. They get beat short in the middle all the time. They gave up 6.5 per carry to the cowgirls.

i'm all for rah rah but this group is more like take off my bra bra. Adalious is not suited to ILB. maybe things improve when seymour returns (more 4 man fronts).

i was praying we'ld take posluzny w/our 1st pick *but buffallo got to him 1st and we broke his arm in week 2. Instead we wait till 7 to take oscar (blown knee) Lua.

Damn it we need a dominant ILB

I agree with the conventional wisdom that a dynamic, stud ILB would push this D to the very top. As it is, this can be an EXCELLENT defensive squad (and already is, actually) with the addition of a productive Seymour, and........

The key to the season, for the defense, is not to lose any of the top 5 linebackers to injury. If they lose even one, it's a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes