PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We need another running back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call Carolina next offseason and offer their 2nd back to them for Jonathan Stewart. Stewart has been an after thought so far this year on a team that has two excellent backs, but a whole lot of holes. Jared Allen called Stewart the toughest back in the league, just last week. He's a younger Corey Dillon with pass catching skills. Save the 2 firsts for some big boys on the lines

Why wait until next year?

Maroney was hurt and unavailable for today's game. He was inactive for Denver. However, it doesn't take any intelligence to figure out that running inside wasn't going to be effective, and that only Taylor and Maroney had the ability to get outside.

You can keep bemoaning every aspect of the team, or you can look at the team rationally. That's up to you. I really don't care. The reality is that a healthy Maroney/Taylor are able to put pressure on the opponents' defense that Morris and BJGE simply cannot, and that impact could be seen once Taylor was out of the game.

What makes you think Maroney would have made a difference taking into account his performances last year? The issue with this team is that they forget they have other offensive options besides Welker and Moss in the second half. Period.

Enough to make me sick. Two screen plays called all game? Where did the TE's, Welker and Edleman go in the second half? You can all dump on the run game, which was good enough, btw. The play calling was atrocious. dink and dunk, please!

so you have no idea your basis for your arguement just that it made you sick.

if my memory is correct someone that DVRed it can help i can think of 6 the 2ints the td the over throw td and two others on the sideline that were over throws

6 that is it 6 is enough to make you sick really. and if looked they went one on one and the 2 screens they tried where blown up in the backfield.

you complain about that the TEs were not used Hernandez had 100 yards recieving how much more do you want out of the TEs

Don't get me wrong going to much the long ball is and issue but 6 times in the course of the game is not too much

Last edited:
so you have no idea your basis for your arguement just that it made you sick.

if my memory is correct someone that DVRed it can help i can think of 6 the 2ints the td the over throw td and two others on the sideline that were over throws

6 that is it 6 is enough to make you sick really. and if looked they went one on one and the 2 screens they tried where blown up in the backfield.

you complain about that the TEs were not used Hernandez had 100 yards recieving how much more do you want out of the TEs

Did you see the TE utilized in the second half because I did not. Brady locks into his binkies and nothing else when playing a tight game in the second half. True last year, true tonight. Hopefully that changes, but honest to god, I do not think the running game was the biggest concern this evening. Play calling was miserable. Butler was miserable. Brady forced throws and had three to's. Game over.

ATT YDS TD LG
Rice 21 43 0 7
McClain 4 6 0 3
Flacco 4 2 0 1
McGahee 6 -2 1 1

Read more: Ravens vs. Jets - Box Score - September 13, 2010 - NFL - Football - SI.com
Guess the Ravens need some more backs too right? I actually would like an Arian Foster type back but its not happening this season. The Jets stuff the run, plain and simple.

No kidding. They are one of the best run defenses in the league. RBs are the least of the problems. Hopefully the young bucks on defense improve (esp Butler).

What makes you think Maroney would have made a difference taking into account his performances last year? The issue with this team is that they forget they have other offensive options besides Welker and Moss in the second half. Period.

1.) AGAIN, since the obvious seems to be flying over people's heads.... Maroney and Taylor can threaten the edges of a defense. Neither Morris nor BJGE can do that. That changes how teams can defend the running backs.

2.) Maroney averaged 3.83 ypc and 3.50 ypc last season. Sad as this may seem to you, both of those averages are better than what the Patriots were able to manage today. The immortal BJGE had 19 yards on 10 carries, and the team as a whole managed only 2.6 ypc.

Last edited:
You can keep bemoaning every aspect of the team, or you can look at the team rationally. That's up to you. I really don't care. The reality is that a healthy Maroney/Taylor are able to put pressure on the opponents' defense
Yeah, because we have seen soooo much of this in the past couple years. :rolleyes: Seriously Deus, you gotta lose the hard on for Maroney.

It may well be true but it's certainly not Moss' fault if so. That fault lies at the feet of the guy calling the plays and/or the QB tossing the balls.

By my count there were 2 long passes to Moss.
One was a TD
The other was after everyone else was covered Bradfy heaved a prayer.
Maybe my memory blows but there werent a lot of deep passes today.

1.) AGAIN, since the obvious seems to be flying over people's heads.... Maroney and Taylor can threaten the edges of a defense. Neither Morris nor BJGE can do that. That changes how teams can defend the running backs.

2.) Maroney averaged 3.83 ypc and 3.50 ypc last season. Sad as this may seem to you, both of those averages are better than what the Patriots were able to manage today. The immortal BJGE had 19 yards on 10 carries, and the team as a whole managed only 2.6 ypc.

Ah yes, because Maroney's sterling 6 rushes for 23 yds in new york last year was so much better than the performance in ny today. They were fifth in the league is rush yds against for a reason.

Last edited:
I wasn't a huge fan of the Maroney trade. Even less so now. I was not impressed with BJGE. He wasn't given any running lanes and/or the defenders were in the backfield on a few plays. But he looked to be running in slow motion of other plays. He isn't a guy I would trust with more than 5 to 10 (at most) plays a game. Maroney wasn't going to ever be a carry the load back, but he could give you 20 plus carries a game if he had to.

Hopefully, if they trade Mankins, they trade him to Dallas and they get one of their RBs in return (I'd want a draft pick too). Not that any of them have been running well behind the Dallas swiss cheese line.

Last edited:
Ah yes, because Maroney's sterling 6 rushes for 23 yds in new york last year was so much better than the performance in ny today. They were fifth in the league is rush yds against for a reason.

to repeat an earlier post:

Maroney averaged 3.83 ypc and 3.50 ypc last season. Sad as this may seem to you, both of those averages are better than what the Patriots were able to manage today. The immortal BJGE had 19 yards on 10 carries, and the team as a whole managed only 2.6 ypc.

Get over your irrational dislike of the player, and learn to use logic and reason.

By the way, as I'd already noted:

Maroney was hurt and unavailable for today's game.

My point about Maroney is a general one, and not specific to today's game. Since they've traded away Maroney, the Patriots no longer have a running back who can threaten the edge of a defense if Taylor goes down.

Last edited:
Lets just agree to disagree. But there has to be one thing we can agree on: Darius Butler has been torched two weeks in a row. This needs to be fixed and quick.

Does anyone think Felix Jones for Mankins is a good trade? I do.

Did you see the TE utilized in the second half because I did not. Brady locks into his binkies and nothing else when playing a tight game in the second half. True last year, true tonight. Hopefully that changes, but honest to god, I do not think the running game was the biggest concern this evening. Play calling was miserable. Butler was miserable. Brady forced throws and had three to's. Game over.

20 passes in the second half

5 went to tight ends (25%)

6 went to people other then the "binkies" (assuming welker and moss) 30%

6 went to Moss 3 conisdered "short": 15% "long" 15% "short"

3 went to Welker 15%

5 of them were considered "long" 2 of those to the TEs

75% "dink and dunk" 25% "deep"

so now that you have the info what would you like them to do

Last edited:
to repeat an earlier post:

Get over your irrational dislike of the player, and learn to use logic and reason.

By the way, as I'd already noted:

My point about Maroney is a general one, and not specific to today's game. Since they've traded away Maroney, the Patriots no longer have a running back who can threaten the edge of a defense if Taylor goes down.

Nothing irrational about my comments. You quote his career YPC when we are discussing a game against one of the best run defenses in the league. Last year, in NY Maroney ran for 23 yards, 12 of which came on the first play of the game. Those are facts. Take away that first carry and its a pretty pedestrian scoreline.

I hope that the woodhead is the real deal. But we really need a running game really bad, cause they will be situations like this in the future,and having someone that runs will open up the passing game as well. and god damn it i love brady and all but i am dying to see a 80 run touchdown from a RB.

Last edited:
Nothing irrational about my comments. You quote his career YPC when we are discussing a game against one of the best run defenses in the league. Last year, in NY Maroney ran for 23 yards, 12 of which came on the first play of the game. Those are facts. Take away that first carry and its a pretty pedestrian scoreline.

I didn't quote his career YPC. Since you can't be bothered with actually reading my posts, I will no longer read any of yours.

The ignore list continues to grow.

Last edited:
This team does not need another running back. It simply needs a bigger commitment to run the ball.

The 2003 Patriots team had one of the WORST rushing offenses in the entire league, yet remained committed to the run purely for balance and to keep the defense on its toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back