PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We need another cornerback

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeseMonkeys

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I would like to think Butler has just had a bad start but I wouldn't want to take that chance and keep letting him blow games for us (It wasn't all Butlers fault though). Does anyone think It would be a good idea to trade one of our 1st round picks next year for a top cornerback? Is there even a team willing to get rid of one of their top Corners? Or perhaps we can use Mankins in a trade. I would also be willing to lose a pick for a nice pass rusher if we don't get the cornerback.

Last edited:
I would like to think Butler has just had a bad start but I wouldn't want to take that chance and keep letting him blow games for us (It wasn't all Butlers fault though). Does anyone think It would be a good idea to trade one of our 1st round picks next year for a top cornerback? Is there even a team willing to get rid of one of their top Corners? Or perhaps we can use Mankins in a trade. I would also be willing to lose a pick for a nice pass rusher if we don't get the cornerback.

Offering mankins may be a good idea. We just need a decent CB until we get Bodden back.

yeah his name is patrick peterson but unfortunately we will have to wait till next year before we can get him.

As soon as Bodden was IRed, Bill should've made some phone calls, then signed the best avail. CB on the market.

Relying on a rookie, a 2nd-year , 2 POS 3rd-years, and a STer was ******ed. And now we have the proof: 26 pts/game allowed.

And don't even get me started on the OLBs.

obviously this would be complete speculation, but what about trading mankins to seattle for Marcus Trufant and a pick - he's a great cover corner and they have an atrocious line

Mayo has had a slow start.I still think he will pick it up.

I'm still pretty keen on McCourty. His progress is exceptional considering how early it is in his career.

Theres not much precedent to starting on the outside right away. He looks better than Vontae Davis did this time last year. He plays a lot like Revis did his rookie season, unafraid to play close to his man, and either looks like a vet or gets caught on a double move. Not to say he'll be an all-pro, but I think he'll be a #1 starter in this league.

yeah his name is patrick peterson but unfortunately we will have to wait till next year before we can get him.

no, what Bill will do is show up to the LSU pro day which will star Peterson and then he'll draft the other cornerback that no one ever heard of in the later round.

Didn't he do that with Wilhite? who was the stud CB that everyone really liked who started across from Wilhite in college?

As soon as Bodden was IRed, Bill should've made some phone calls, then signed the best avail. CB on the market.
I'm sure there were some high caliber CB to be signed a few weeks before the season started. Bill re-signed Bodden and drafted McCourtey in the first round. He did what he could. Now he has to do the best he can with what's left with Bodden gone. Wheatley will be back soon, he was looking good in camp.

Wasnt Pac man Jones available?:rolleyes:Amazingly enough he has doned well through 2 games.

I'm still pretty keen on McCourty. His progress is exceptional considering how early it is in his career.

Theres not much precedent to starting on the outside right away. He looks better than Vontae Davis did this time last year. He plays a lot like Revis did his rookie season, unafraid to play close to his man, and either looks like a vet or gets caught on a double move. Not to say he'll be an all-pro, but I think he'll be a #1 starter in this league.

McCourty is a stud. I didnt like the pick at all on draft day, but he can flat out play. The Jets showed a lot of respect to him yesterday barely even looking at his side.

Butler did have a terrible game, but young guys are going to have bad games, it is part of the learning process. The biggest thing is how he will improve from this and get better. Butler has shown some talent in his time here, so it is tough to throw him out of the mix this early. Give him some time, he still can be a decent CB for the team.

What young corner hasn't had a bad game? Corners getting burnt is obvious, because 1) even if they have safety help it still is probably a big play and 2) sometimes they don't have safety help and give up a TD. I'll never forget what my hockey coach told me years ago when everyone got pissed at the goalie for letting in goals.. No one really notices when an offensive player makes a mistake, because he has the other forwards, defense, and goalie to save him. When a defense man makes a mistake, people take notice. And when a goalie messes up, everyone is looking at him.

Every young player on this team is going to be making mistakes, that's part of the problem of playing young players. It's also how they learn. It's just going to look really bad when Butler effs up as opposed to Brace.

Butler did have a terrible game, but young guys are going to have bad games, it is part of the learning process. The biggest thing is how he will improve from this and get better. Butler has shown some talent in his time here, so it is tough to throw him out of the mix this early. Give him some time, he still can be a decent CB for the team.

Yes, he was right there and just didnt finish the play, it was frustrating to watch, he could have picked a couple of those throws off instead of letting them be completed. I have high hopes for this guy.

Didn't he do that with Wilhite? who was the stud CB that everyone really liked who started across from Wilhite in college?

I dont know, he was drafted in the 4th round and there were 7 cbs drafted after him, Patrick Lee was drafted in rd2 by GB but hasnt done anything.

Our corners are very young and inexperienced. Of course, we expect them to get better. Personally, I don't know why Belichick hasn't added a JAG veteran after Bodden was injured, at least as a backup. That was what Belichick used to do when someone was injured. The Wheatley injury should have been a further wakeup call.

I have no illusions about picking up a starter, just a Poteat or Springs level player.

And just BTW, it is a good thing that we drafted a corner so high in the last two drafts, and have James Sanders there as the leader of the secondary, playing nickel or dime as needed.

Offering mankins may be a good idea. We just need a decent CB until we get Bodden back.
Bodden will be a bigger loss than we can imagine. Bodden and McCourty would make a nice tandem.

Whilst I expect McCourty to make some rookie errors, Butler has been picked on in the past 2 games. I doubt Bodden gets thrown against like that, especially in jump ball situations given his extra size.

Hopefully we can begin to unveil some big corners, as the size of excellent receivers seems to be getting bigger every year.

Last edited:
If Bodden wasn't injured I guarantee that we would be 2-0.

no, what Bill will do is show up to the LSU pro day which will star Peterson and then he'll draft the other cornerback that no one ever heard of in the later round.

The "stud" CB was Patrick Lee, who barely made Green Bay's roster this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down