PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Must Stop Dallas Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I have watched Indy's 2 playoff games and he is the key to their 3rd down offense. We must give the same priority to stopping him that we gave to limiting Antonio Gates. Any thoughts who will be assigned to do this?

QB12

Sanders + Samuel on Harrison
Hawkins + Hobbs on Wayne
Vrabel/Bruschi on Clark
Colvin on the Slot
TBC on the pass rush

There's your formula.

I have watched Indy's 2 playoff games and he is the key to their 3rd down offense. We must give the same priority to stopping him that we gave to limiting Antonio Gates. Any thoughts who will be assigned to do this?

QB12

Along the lines of stating the obvious I think they need to do a good job of covering Harrison. Every Colts game I have watched (no matter who was playing them) I had to ask why is Harrison wide open?

Hawkins + Hobbs on Wayne
Vrabel/Bruschi on Clark
Colvin on the Slot
TBC on the pass rush

There's your formula.

The big four to keep your eye on are Harrison, Wayne, Clark and Addai.

Addai can kill you just as much as the others if you don't account for him in coverage.

Utecht will catch a pass or three, but won't be the focal point that the others will become if they're not accounted for.

Those big four are of the highest concern.

i don't think Dallas Clark is that big of a problem

the key to stopping him is to have a repeat of the 2003 game in Indy with the goal line stand.

Hawkins + Hobbs on Wayne
Vrabel/Bruschi on Clark
Colvin on the Slot
TBC on the pass rush

There's your formula.

Khayos:

Good post. Mickens did an impressive job against Welker in Miami (even though we lost). Now that Stokely is IR'd, who's at the slot? Is Proehl (sp?) still banged up? I thought what Indy was doing was split Clark out in the slot, but then that leaves them vulnerable to the rush. Big game for Jarvis Green perhaps, reprising his role as the Tormentor of Manning in the AFCC?

QB12

Hawkins + Hobbs on Wayne
Vrabel/Bruschi on Clark
Colvin on the Slot
TBC on the pass rush

There's your formula.
Clark pretty much is the slot receiver. This isn't the 2003 Colts when they had Clark and also had Stokely with 1,000 yards + Harrison/Wayne.

We may not get it done but this is an easier Colt offense to defend. They now have Harrison and Wayne with Clark as a 3rd option and that's about it.

Harrison prefers the inside routes, crossings in the seams and slants.

Wayne, for whatever reason, ALWAYS seems to get open on quick out routes in the 8-15 yard range, primarily to the left. He always appears to be totally uncovered. He worries me more than Harrison.

If Hobbs is on Wayne, he can not give him that 10 plus yard cushion he usually gives other receivers....Wayne will eat him alive. Wayne needs to be hit, and slowed down, within that 5 yard area.

We don't have any corners that are good enough at bump and run to rough up a larger reciever like Wayne at the line and still defend against the deep pass, IMO. I'm not sure what they'll do to combat the WRs in this game, but bump and run probably won't be the ticket.

QB12

I think you are right. The Colts really struggled down the stretch when Dallas got hurt. They had no slot threat with Stockley being gone for the year. Since Dallas came back it has kept teams from being able to cheat on coverage.

i don't think Dallas Clark is that big of a problem

the key to stopping him is to have a repeat of the 2003 game in Indy with the goal line stand.

That's classy.

I think you are right. The Colts really struggled down the stretch when Dallas got hurt. They had no slot threat with Stockley being gone for the year. Since Dallas came back it has kept teams from being able to cheat on coverage.

That's classy.

thanks.
and i dont care

How do we know if Hobbs, for example, is 10 yards off the line?

It can be done with a little adjustment, perhaps a linebacker with a last moment stunt to the outside,hits the WR, and he releases quick enough to allow Hobbs, or the corner, to assume cover.....

Why not?

I guess you're right, but I'm just assuming that the Pats have tried it in practice.

Beat the hell out of Dallas Clark at the line of scrimmage with Chad Scott making it hard for him to get out in his route.

With the way Samuel is playing I think he can shut down his half of the field the way he did against the Chargers.

Then use Hobbs and Sanders to double the other side of the field.

Beat the hell out of Dallas Clark at the line of scrimmage with Chad Scott making it hard for him to get out in his route.

With the way Samuel is playing I think he can shut down his half of the field the way he did against the Chargers.

Eric Parker is no Marvin Harrison. Samuel will need help. Many of his interceptions have come with safety help over top, allowing him to jump the throwing lane inside.

Is this on obvious passing downs only, or do you bench Sanders and replace him with Scott in your base defense?

QB12

Hawkins + Hobbs on Wayne
Vrabel/Bruschi on Clark
Colvin on the Slot
TBC on the pass rush

There's your formula.

thats exactly what dungy wants, that leaves addai wide open on a run or pass and utech

First we need Hobbs to play an excellent game Sunday. He was toasted for at least 3 deep balls in Week 9. Overall Manning had a great evening throwing the deep ball in that game. The Pats managed to keep the shorter stuff (under 20 yards) in check.

The last 2 playoff games, Manning has been eaten alive throwing the deep ball - 4 INTs as a result. He's been successful in the short passing game, specifically in the middle of the field (where Clark comes into play). If he's off on his deep ball, the Pats are catching him at a very good time.

The Pats' secondary is reliable but not intimidating. The key to victory is in the pass rush- if NE doesn't succeed it will be a long evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down