PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We might still draft a wide receiver for 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have Welker. We hope that Jackson will be part of the mix in 2008. We can afford to put him on the PUP list. There is now so reason to rush him.

Brown will be long gone.
Caldwell will be a free agent.
Gaffney will be a free agent.
Stallworth will be a free agent unless the pats want to pay him $8M by March 1
(and $11M to play next year)

I would feel much better if we extended Gaffney or signed another free agent for two years.

MY 2007 PREFERENCE (with Jackson on the PUP list)
Stallworth,Gaffney,Welker,Caldwell,fa/draftee

Brown can always have a roster spot as a STer and emergency receiver.

Last edited:
If a good WR is there in round one; BB may take him.
Most seem to think we go CB/SS and LB or maybe DL if a good one is available.

The WR pool in this draft is too deep to ignore. I think they'll definitely draft one. The question is where? I don't see them drafting one in the first round. Maybe if they trade down into round two, and someone like Anthony Gonzalez is still around. Realistically, however, I see them drafting someone on day 2 who can be developed. Someone like Rhema McKnight or Chansi Stuckey...

I saw Stuckey as a Pats type receiver also. Courtney taylor out of Auburn might be intriguing in the later rounds as well.

I don't understand why everybody wants to dump Jackson on the PUP list. Granted, information has been hard to come by, but it sounds like he had the op shortly after the Colts game. This would confirm reports that the tear was only minor (no wait time while swelling subsided). For a "normal" ACL tear, we are told that the recovery is 6 - 8 months. I would think that Jackson is easily healthy by August 1, let alone the start of the season. Assuming, of course, no setbacks.

I don't understand why everybody wants to dump Jackson on the PUP list.

Because he is a bust. I'll be the first one to admit it if I'm wrong, but unfortunately, I don't think I will be.

We still "might" but we probably won't. We'll have Jackson and Welker heading into 2008, our option on Stallworth and can still choose to extend Caldwell or Gaffney depending how camp goes. With Stallworth, Welker, Caldwell, Gaffney and Jackson, the most we spend on a WR is a mid round pick, IMO, and that's if Troy retires.

Rhema mcnight drops balls all the time. 7th rounder.

Johnny Lee Higgins of UTEP is super quick, great hands, go to receiver always double teamed and still had great production.

He'd be availale in the 3rd most likely.

I think we'll draft C. Taylor out of Auburn if he's there for us in the third... dude is too good to pass up there.... not the quickest fellow ever, but can run routes like he's been a pro for years... doesn't have the "upside' that everyone talks about... but who cares, he can be a contrib. by half way through season one, if we need him... barring injuries, certainly by year 2 if nec... now, I'm not sure he falls that far, but some folks have him super low on their draft boards.

Before you guys read too much into the Donte Stallworth take a look at the details:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2794615
$6M roster bonus 2/25/08
$2M bonus due 3/1/08
$1.6M reachable incentives in '08
$1M salary '08
For those of you playing @ home, that is $10.6M for 2008. I don't see it happening. Basically, IMO, this is a 1 year $3.6M deal, the rest is just noise to make Drew Rosenhaus look good.

Last edited:
Obviously assuiming anything about the Pats draft/roster strategy is a sure-fire way to get burned, but assuming the roster is almost set on offense I wonder will the Pats consider drafting a multi-role offensive rookie. Someone along the lines of Randle-El or the Jets rookie (Smith?).

A WR/QB/PR/KR type of guy? Are there any obvious examples in this years draft?

Obviously assuiming anything about the Pats draft/roster strategy is a sure-fire way to get burned, but assuming the roster is almost set on offense I wonder will the Pats consider drafting a multi-role offensive rookie. Someone along the lines of Randle-El or the Jets rookie (Smith?).

A WR/QB/PR/KR type of guy? Are there any obvious examples in this years draft?

Nobody as good as that fella we signed from the Dolphins.

Before you guys read too much into the Donte Stallworth take a look at the details:
$6M roster bonus 2/25/08
$2M bonus due 3/1/08
$1M salary '08
For those of you playing @ home, that is $10.6M for 2008.
No it's not. The bonuses are spread out over the life of the deal as Miguel shows :

http://www.patscap.com/stallworth.gif

Next year would be the most, as expensive but affordable $6.37.

The only WR that I see the Pats taking in the draft is Rhema Mckinght (ND). I am all but CERTAIN, that they will end up drafting him.

Rhema will be the Pats next David Givens.

Last edited:
In later rounds I like Chris Davis or Gonzales.
If they take one in the 1st I would be thrilled with Meachem.
The Pats are SET for this year but it's true that Troy might retire as early as this year or next. And we don't know if Chad Jackson can ever stay healthy though I've been thinking he would be awesome IF healthy.

We probably won't go very high on wideout this year though. Deep draft in wide receivers sure makes em tempting though.

No it's not. The bonuses are spread out over the life of the deal as Miguel shows :

http://www.patscap.com/stallworth.gif

Next year would be the most, as expensive but affordable $6.37.

I'm with you, even Stallworth's long term deal is quite reasonable - if he lives up to it of course. The beauty of it is we have all the control.

Last edited:
$6M roster bonus 2/25/08
$2M bonus due 3/1/08
$1M salary '08
For those of you playing @ home, that is $10.6M for 2008. I don't see it happening. Basically, IMO, this is a 1 year $3.6M deal, the rest is just noise to make Drew Rosenhaus look good.

I don't think it is. I think there is a method to the Pats madness. If Stallworth pans out, then the Pats have him at a manageable level salary cap wise for 6 years. If not, then you're right, the Pats can cut their losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes