PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We May Only Need 8 Offensive Linemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If Thuney isn't a starting OG, he can be considered the 8th OL, including the role as the 4th OT, and 5th interior lineman.

OT (3) Solder, Vollmer, Waddle or Cannon
C (1) Stork or Andrews
G (3) choose three, one of whom needs to be able to be the backup center
G/T (1) Thuney

The Pats normally go with 9 or 10 O-linemen. They only went with 8 last year because of injuries..

Thuney's versatility will help. We need to create a roster spot somewhere as we're carrying an extra QB (maybe not initially depending on the courts). We're deep in a lot of positions, the last couple of spots will be tough.

Lots of cuts. Cannon who more than anyone lost the playoff game in denver.

Vollmer Solder
Stork
Kline (who isn't that good)

That's 4.

Then five of
Andrews
Waddle
Thuney
Mason
Jackson
Karras (whose draft profile said he was bad)
Cannon (should be shown the door)

Really would have been smart to draft leraven clark or shon coleman instead of thuney.

Offense line will be interesting particular on the interior.

Solder and Vollmer are they only real 100% locks. Cannon/Waddle could be fighting for just 1 spot but maybe Thuney takes it if they think he is a tackle. Flemming is probably off the 53 maybe off the PS.

Mason, Jackson Thuney, Stork, Andrews, Kline are the top options. Karras probably will not make the team but is worth a look.

I'd guess for various reasons also involving cap

OT - Solder/Vollmer/Waddle (emergency Thuney)
G - Mason/Thuney/Jackson (emergency Stork)
C - Stork/Andrews

So nine. Could be 8 though if they want to do that.

I think 9 sounds more realistic:

-Solder
-Volmer
-Waddle/Flemming
-Stork
-Andrews
-Mason
-Cooper
-Jackson
-Thuney

As long as Cannon and Kline aren't included, I'd be ok with the above group going into the year.

With God, all things are possible, so sure, maybe they'll only need 8 OL. However, with the injury history of this group, going with 8 is probably not viable.

If Thuney isn't a starting OG, he can be considered the 8th OL, including the role as the 4th OT, and 5th interior lineman.

OT (3) Solder, Vollmer, Waddle or Cannon
C (1) Stork or Andrews
G (3) choose three, one of whom needs to be able to be the backup center
G/T (1) Thuney

Interesting post, let me give my take on the locks and why.

LOCKS:
  • (1) Solder and (2) Vollmer, no brainer locks unless Vollmer retires or is put on IR.
  • (3) Thunk, 3rd round draft pick in rookie year, plus he offers unprecedented versatility
  • (4) Mason, I think he showed enough last year that I can't imagine him being cut
  • (5) Stork, played great rookie year, then put on IR most of last year (concussion). I think he is a lock unless he retires due to concussions (he had concussions in college in addition to his IR last year)
BATTLES:
  • (6) One of Waddle or Cannon for backup OT (unless Thuney dazzles early)
  • (7,8, 9) Three of Jackson, Cooper, Kline, Karras, Andrews, with Jackson most likely to stick (showed some promise as a rookie).

Interesting post, let me give my take on the locks and why.

LOCKS:
  • (1) Solder and (2) Vollmer, no brainer locks unless Vollmer retires or is put on IR.
  • (3) Thunk, 3rd round draft pick in rookie year, plus he offers unprecedented versatility
  • (4) Mason, I think he showed enough last year that I can't imagine him being cut
  • (5) Stork, played great rookie year, then put on IR most of last year (concussion). I think he is a lock unless he retires due to concussions (he had concussions in college in addition to his IR last year)
BATTLES:
  • (6) One of Waddle or Cannon for backup OT (unless Thuney dazzles early)
  • (7,8, 9) Three of Jackson, Cooper, Kline, Karras, Andrews, with Jackson most likely to stick (showed some promise as a rookie).

OT: Solder, Volmer, Waddle
OG: Cooper ( can play C), Mason, Karras, Jackson
OC: Stork
OL: Thuney

OT: Solder, Volmer, Waddle
OG: Cooper ( can play C), Mason, Karras, Jackson
OC: Stork
OL: Thuney

Having Karras step up and make the team would be a real treat (that would mean that he was an upgrade over someone else). Plus, he seems super strong and a real tough guy, he is evidently primarily a run blocker.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but most of the OL players the Patriots have been drafting the last few years have been run blockers, Jackson, Stork, Fleming, and most of all Mason (who hardly pass blocked in college). Maybe at some point this group will jell a bit (actually having the same line-up two weeks in a row would help) and the Patriots can finally get a bit of a run game. Please?;)

With 3 QBs they have to trim someplace. Not sure OL is the best place though.

I found it interesting that Scar also had Thuney snap the ball at center during his workout. He was a back-up center his freshman year.

OT Solder, Vollmer, Thuney, Cannon
OG Mason, Jackson, Kline, Cooper
OC Stork, Andrews

Cannon, Fleming, Waddle in competition for RT back-up slot. Karras in competition for one of the OG spots. Karras most likely to end up on practice squad.

No way they go with only 8 lineman, specially after 2015.

OT (3) Solder, Vollmer, Waddle
C (2) Stork, Andrews
G (5) Cooper, Mason, Jackson, Thuney, Karras

Scarnecchia will convert one of the guards to backup tackle.

I think we've seen the end of the line for Marcus Cannon who has been a great story and somebody I always rooted for, but he just doesn't have the quickness to succeed at this level. Fleming is probably history as well.

I also think the Patriots will keep a third tight end who can block as an emergency lineman. The Williams-Derby-Harbor competition will be one to watch.

No way they go with only 8 lineman, specially after 2015.

I think the younger players recently drafted (along with Andrews) hammer your point home even more, particularly with the return of Scarnecchia. This is a position where they'll likely go an extra player, not one less. I think we have a better chance of seeing 10 OL than we do 8 OL.

With 3 QBs they have to trim someplace. Not sure OL is the best place though.

It's possible that they could go with 9 on the OL. They could groom Thuney as the back-up center and release Andrews.

OT (3) Solder, Vollmer, Waddle
C (2) Stork, Andrews
G (5) Cooper, Mason, Jackson, Thuney, Karras

So, under your scenario we'd be losing Cannon, Kline, Fleming, and continuing to pass on Wendell. While I can't fully get on board with that much turnover with keeping 5 interior lineman who are all relatively new to the team, I certainly agree that there will be at least 2/4 if not 3/4 players gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes