PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We have the makings of a historic defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The Colts' comeback hit the greatest defensive mind in football history where it hurts. All the moves made to bolster Brady now seem more like a red herring, while the real master plan was unfolding on the other side of the ball. Last season's D was noble, valiant but flawed enough so that injury, illness and old joints sapped too much strength down the stretch. Naked and exposed, it wilted in the flu-ridden heat of the RCA Dome. We are about to witness BB's fury unleashed on all those who downgraded this team's accomplishment, mocked its heart, robbed it of its place in history, and shoveled dirt on the "end of an era". The Big Three now have 3 solid back ups, warriors talented enough to start for several NFL teams; The LBers are stacked with ferocious playmakers, mixing savvy, speed and power; the secondary is web of daggers with a great spider in its center, #37. This team is going to wreak havoc from day 1, and I only hope the football gods see fit to bless them with health. Because only injury can prevent this group from becoming the defining Defense of the Patriot Dynasty.

The only real concerns for me are :

- Samuel being back for Game 1, as I expect.
- Depth at LB.

That's about it. Of course, an unusual number of injuries at any position can be devastating but that's random and unpredictable. At LB, though, we have only one extra starting quality player and that's counting Bruschi and Seau as starting quality whereas they're both better off playing a lot in various roles as opposed to all the time.

Everywhere else we seem to have quality and depth. So . . . I agree.

The Colts' comeback hit the greatest defensive mind in football history where it hurts. All the moves made to bolster Brady now seem more like a red herring, while the real master plan was unfolding on the other side of the ball. Last season's D was noble, valiant but flawed enough so that injury, illness and old joints sapped too much strength down the stretch. Naked and exposed, it wilted in the flu-ridden heat of the RCA Dome. We are about to witness BB's fury unleashed on all those who downgraded this team's accomplishment, mocked its heart, robbed it of its place in history, and shoveled dirt on the "end of an era". The Big Three now have 3 solid back ups, warriors talented enough to start for several NFL teams; The LBers are stacked with ferocious playmakers, mixing savvy, speed and power; the secondary is web of daggers with a great spider in its center, #37. This team is going to wreak havoc from day 1, and I only hope the football gods see fit to bless them with health. Because only injury can prevent this group from becoming the defining Defense of the Patriot Dynasty.
As I was reading this post I wanted to get up and cheer,get up and start jumping up and down yelling Go Pats,Go. I want to unleash all the fury now, right now. This Is a GOOD rah, rah post. :rocker:

So true, this D has the potential to be great.

Once Samuel reports, G@y will be a very good 3rd DB. Also, with Rodney and Wilson back, in addition to Merriweather and the ever improving Sanders, we have the makings of a great secondary.

If we stay relatively healthy, look out.

The only real concerns for me are :

- Samuel being back for Game 1, as I expect.
- Depth at LB.
I forgot - I also don't love our depth at NT if Vince is out for an extended time.

If we stay relatively healthy, look out.

This is the key, it will be interesting to see if they can contain the Colts on November 4.

We soon forget that last year was a record defense, 14.8 PPG but it seemed to head south once Seau went down. This year we appear to have more depth at all the defensive positions except CB.

As I was reading this post I wanted to get up and cheer,get up and start jumping up and down yelling Go Pats,Go. I want to unleash all the fury now, right now. This Is a GOOD rah, rah post. :rocker:

Poetry, PonyX.
Your problem is poetry.

We're not allowed
to post poetry in these pages!

:agree:

just beautiful lol...

Excellent post PEx, and not just because it's a self-serving pro Pats analysis. Last night's game and goal line stand at the end of the first half was a perfect example of this.

The Pats have a deep defense and key pieces in place. Bruschi is back to his old self and his hit on Young on 4th and goal along with Harrison and Vrabel to bend him backward away from the goal line sent a message to the NFL that the Pats D is loaded.

Last night's game and goal line stand at the end of the first half was a perfect example of this.

Yup - I think they could have had 25 tries and they were not getting in last night. The defense made their statement last night to anybody watching and also gained valuable confidence. I can never recall saying that about a pre-season game before.

PonyX - great post - I agree, this teams defense, given health, is going all the way.

Pony,

Thanks for the new adjective. Now, instead of using the word "vaunted" to describe how well the Patriot D played versus the Colts, I can now use "historic". I may be forced to overuse it though, if the Colts keep turning in "historic" second half comebacks!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's only pre-season. We could say the same thing about the Titans defense getting after Brady and taking an interception to the house. While the addition of Thomas was great, the Pats achilles heal could fall back on the lack of speed and depth at the LB position. I will be watching two guys in particular that the Pats could have had; Paul Pozluzny and David Harris. However, barring any injuries,I think the defense will be very good this year, especially if Samuel returns and Merriweather contributes early and often. But I don't think they have the overall talent level of the Ravens.

Pony,

Thanks for the new adjective. Now, instead of using the word "vaunted" to describe how well the Patriot D played versus the Colts, I can now use "historic". I may be forced to overuse it though, if the Colts keep turning in "historic" second half comebacks!

WHOOOOO?.......I can never remember those one-hit wonders.

I really think Bruschi will be much better VS the run this year playing without the cast, especially when you consider him having to bang heads with 300lb guards.

Agree this D is very good, when I was at practice last week, amazed at the number of high quality guys who know the system, and know the game.. the addition of Thomas and Meriweather are signficant.. still confident Assante will be back for the early season.. still trying to figure out how we will be using Seau, Bruschi and Thomas at the MLB.. how will this rotation work.. the maturation of some of our other "project" lb's, Pierre Woods et al.. these are nice problems.. cannot wait for the season..

Great post man!!! :singing:

I thikn the Pats D impressed Fisher.....

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2007/aug/19/s19nflnu2/

I think it was the weather, the surface, people in his face. The approach the Patriots took defensively, which was a unique approach," Fisher said Saturday.

"They brought people almost every down from different places. They dropped different people out in coverage.
We went in this game with a very basic game plan and did not put ourselves in position to try to take advantage of those things."

...it will be interesting to see if they can contain the Colts on November 4.

I think the big question is the Pats defense equipped enough to contain the Colts this time around.

The defense was GREAT last year. It came within one half of greatness. So to that playoff defense, we add the list below plus adding requirements that the offense have running backs and receivers available for the second half and that all players take their flu shots.

ADDITIONS
Gay, a second arm for Hobbs, a second arm for Bruschi, Seau, Thomas, Harrison, Wilson, Mitchell, Meriweather, and a 3rd string NT (Brown or Moore)

Also, LeKevin and Woods should be more valuable after a year of experience.

If Samuel comes back, we will have exactly zero significant losses.

Last edited:
The defense played very well, but I think it would be premature to proclaim it the best of the Patriots dynasty after two preseason games. I want to see how they look when the opposing offense actually makes adjustments to counter what they are doing, as what not the case in the Titans game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back