PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We have Adalius Thomas now so??

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
We have more options for our 1st two picks.
I would like DB and either another LB to groom slow or what? WR
What do you think?

What do you think?
So nothing has changed, BPA was the always the best bet, the challenge is figuring out who the Pats would consider the BPA.

What do you think?

I would like DB and LB also just depends on how the draft flows on which direction Pats will go but I'm so excited now. Would be nice to get Tom Brady some help also.

Personally, it doesn't change much because I don't think we ever expected to plug a rookie LB in as a starter. A vet FA signing was a sure thing, it's just the quality of the vet that's a pleasant surprise.

All four starting linebackers this Fall will be over 30. Talented developmental players are still needed at the position.

We now have one new playmaker for the defense. The draft will be to provide new playmakers and/or future starters. The good news is -- Thomas won't need a year to develop. Now there's an immediate impact player! :rocker:

I think that the Patriots still need to draft/sign 2-3 more linebackers. My reasoning is that the draft picks will take 2-3 years to produce and that another signing could be worked into the rotation.

I still would love for the Pats to sign Jarrett Johnson.

All four starting linebackers this Fall will be over 30. Talented developmental players are still needed at the position.

Thats a really good point. The linebacking corps is getting old, and will thomas is an instant impact player, he isn't 22. Also, older players are injury risks, so talented depth will be needed.

I'd still like to see the Pats pick up a LB in the first couple rounds, and then some projects, ala TBC.

I agree and still want another 2 young LB's to groom. This may be Tedy's last year.

So nothing has changed, BPA was the always the best bet, the challenge is figuring out who the Pats would consider the BPA.

I agree with you. Someone will slide and with needs at WR, LB and DB we'll take the best available player.

If you do the roster breakdown by position, it's tough to fit in developmental LBs unless you cut either Izzo & company or the development guys we already have.

Of course, it's hard to fit in developmental DBs unless you cut Andrews and Spann.

I wouldn't be shocked if, after another vet signing or two, there was such a logjam at LB that people stop expecting LBs to be drafted.

My best-bet for the first round is safety, because young safeties commonly ARE impact players nowadays -- and because Wilson is a questionable player in a contract year and Rodney is aging, so there's plenty of room for a new guy to take a role.

With 2 first rounders (if no trades), I expect one pick for need and one for best player available (but will we ever really know)
On the LB front, the Pats are now paying big coin for the LB crew of Colvin, Vrabel, Bruschi, Thomas...which leads me to believe that a draft pick will be used on an ILB as a cost effective balance. But I expect they go no higher than a second rounder at LB because the starting positions are filled and spending a #1 on depth at LB while paying sizable rookie money is not the BB way. We have been taught to believe that Rookie LBs won't grasp the BB system and 22 year LBs are not physically ready, at least in BB's mind. Who am I to argue. I can foresee BB moving up in the 2nd to grab a stout ILB though.
As far as the 2 #1s, BB has never been shy about starting rookies in the secondary, OL, and DL. I do not expect a RB to be selected early unless a 240 pound Diesel train is available. Drafting a #1 back would certainly mess up Maroney's head.
Prediction: If the Pats accomplish the free agent grand slam...LB,TE,WR,RB...to their satisfaction, I see a #1 for a Safety, a trade down with the 2nd #1 , hopefully securing a 1st next year and a 2nd or 3rd this year, an ILB via trading up in round 2 round, a corner in the 3rd...and who knows after that...but at somepoint they grab my combine workout warrior, Quincy Black...the guy who will cover Dallas Clark like cling wrap

If you do the roster breakdown by position, it's tough to fit in developmental LBs unless you cut either Izzo & company or the development guys we already have.

Izzo is a UFA so there is nothing to cut. Also, You don't have to cut a LB. You could cut Marquis Hill for a developmental LB. Or not carry 6 WRs. There are numerous different ways to fit "developmental players" on the team.

Of course, it's hard to fit in developmental DBs unless you cut Andrews and Spann.

The Pats wouldn't cry over losing Spann back to the practice squad.

I wouldn't be shocked if, after another vet signing or two, there was such a logjam at LB that people stop expecting LBs to be drafted.

My best-bet for the first round is safety, because young safeties commonly ARE impact players nowadays -- and because Wilson is a questionable player in a contract year and Rodney is aging, so there's plenty of room for a new guy to take a role.

I think that the Pats could draft a safety in the 1st, but I think that there is better value later in the draft with a John Wendling.

There is a very good chance that the Pats will end up with 12-13 draft picks after the comp picks are handed out. Those 2-4 comp picks aren't tradeable and we all know that there are only so many spots on the roster and the Pats, under Belichick, have limited themselves to 10 picks in any given draft year. So, there could be trade-ups, trade-downs and trades into next year.

There are players coming back from injury who are going to have to fight for a position (Randall Gay, Mel Mitchell). There are players who are probably boardline (Wilson, Hawkins, Mays, Woods, Alexander, Andrews, Childress, Kight, Q. Hill, M. Hill, L. Smith, etc) who will ALSO have to fight for a position with the new free agents and draft picks coming in.

I would definitely think that another strong safety and free safety behind Harrison, Sanders, and either Wilson or Hawkins, is in order. Willie Andrews played great on special teams. But Mel Mitchell plays there as well and has started before.

With 2 first rounders (if no trades), I expect one pick for need and one for best player available (but will we ever really know)
On the LB front, the Pats are now paying big coin for the LB crew of Colvin, Vrabel, Bruschi, Thomas...which leads me to believe that a draft pick will be used on an ILB as a cost effective balance. But I expect they go no higher than a second rounder at LB because the starting positions are filled and spending a #1 on depth at LB while paying sizable rookie money is not the BB way. We have been taught to believe that Rookie LBs won't grasp the BB system and 22 year LBs are not physically ready, at least in BB's mind. Who am I to argue. I can foresee BB moving up in the 2nd to grab a stout ILB though.
As far as the 2 #1s, BB has never been shy about starting rookies in the secondary, OL, and DL. I do not expect a RB to be selected early unless a 240 pound Diesel train is available. Drafting a #1 back would certainly mess up Maroney's head.
Prediction: If the Pats accomplish the free agent grand slam...LB,TE,WR,RB...to their satisfaction, I see a #1 for a Safety, a trade down with the 2nd #1 , hopefully securing a 1st next year and a 2nd or 3rd this year, an ILB via trading up in round 2 round, a corner in the 3rd...and who knows after that...but at somepoint they grab my combine workout warrior, Quincy Black...the guy who will cover Dallas Clark like cling wrap

They have the player who will cover Clark in Adalius Thomas.

They have the player who will cover Clark in Adalius Thomas.
Uh ah, Thomas will be launching at Peyton's kidneys while Vrabel spears the achilles. If the ball makes it out of Lurch's hand, my hybrid OLB/S will be taking the pick to the 105 yard line with blazing speed and jumpability.

I think that the Patriots still need to draft/sign 2-3 more linebackers. My reasoning is that the draft picks will take 2-3 years to produce and that another signing could be worked into the rotation.

i whole-heartedly agree
our d was at its best when we had six great linebackers
with adalius we would have four
see the problem?

We now have one new playmaker for the defense. The draft will be to provide new playmakers and/or future starters. The good news is -- Thomas won't need a year to develop. Now there's an immediate impact player! :rocker:

we still need an IMMEDIATE impact player at inside linebacker as well as wide receiver too
so we cant just pick a first rd wr and expect him to be an impact right away
these guys will be rotational guys and guys that will be huge impacts (expected) in their second and third yrs

izzo is a free agent
the only linebackers that i see as def on the roster are:
adalius (pending we get him!), colvin, vrabel, bru, woods
so we still have plenty of roster spots there

Clark will be less of a problem if we don't have our backup SS and 3rd string FS.

LB ? We now have a good (or better) starter at every position but no depth at all. Whether it's draft picks or FA, we need at least one ILB and one OLB unless a Woods or Mays is coming on. What killed us vs. Indy was having sh!t on the field due to injuries and the flu - we're still suceptible to that although our starting 4 LB are to be envied.

Izzo is a UFA so there is nothing to cut. Also, You don't have to cut a LB. You could cut Marquis Hill for a developmental LB. Or not carry 6 WRs. There are numerous different ways to fit "developmental players" on the team.

The Pats wouldn't cry over losing Spann back to the practice squad.

I think that the Pats could draft a safety in the 1st, but I think that there is better value later in the draft with a John Wendling.

There is a very good chance that the Pats will end up with 12-13 draft picks after the comp picks are handed out. Those 2-4 comp picks aren't tradeable and we all know that there are only so many spots on the roster and the Pats, under Belichick, have limited themselves to 10 picks in any given draft year. So, there could be trade-ups, trade-downs and trades into next year.

There are players coming back from injury who are going to have to fight for a position (Randall Gay, Mel Mitchell). There are players who are probably boardline (Wilson, Hawkins, Mays, Woods, Alexander, Andrews, Childress, Kight, Q. Hill, M. Hill, L. Smith, etc) who will ALSO have to fight for a position with the new free agents and draft picks coming in.

I would definitely think that another strong safety and free safety behind Harrison, Sanders, and either Wilson or Hawkins, is in order. Willie Andrews played great on special teams. But Mel Mitchell plays there as well and has started before.

Once again, a terrific post by DaBruinz.

Barring any trade(s), we'll have 4 day one picks who will most likely make the roster, and some of whom who will immediately make a difference throughout the season. How much of an impact remains to be seen...but we're certainly going to be upgrading the entire roster. On day two, we're always hoping to find a gem or two , so that's always fun to unearth that discovery.

What I'm looking forward to most is, finding out which Safety we'll be drafting. Each of the much talked about Safeties has something to offer, and so much so that it wouldn't surprise me if we drafted two (given their value). Where are we going to play them? Well, as DaBruinz said, we do have some borderline players. And let's not forget ST...some of these prospects have tremendous athleticism, and may really shine on that all important phase of the game.

I'm psyched. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing