PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Have A Lot Of Needs For This Week

If there are three groups of players that I would be real interested in, it would be:

Dontay Moch as a possible conversion project to strong safety. This kid has speed to burn and is very strong. If not him, then Tyler Sash or Robert Lester.

Ben Ijalana or Danny Watkins as a solid 7th offensive lineman and 4th offensive guard.

Jaye Howard, Antonio Garay or Drake Nevis at a 4th/5th defensive tackle.

I wonder why Philly cut Danny Watkins G/T? Former recent first round pick, must have a large contract. If he clears waivers only (his contract should cause that), we should take a look (reason dependent).

I wonder why Philly cut Danny Watkins G/T? Former recent first round pick, must have a large contract. If he clears waivers only (his contract should cause that), we should take a look (reason dependent).
Because he sucked. There were reports that football was not a priority for him, but another report said the Pats were among the teams interested in him. Contract wasn't a big issue, with him only due a little over $1M each of the next two seasons. He did have some guaranteed money that I read about that might prevent him from being claimed, though.

If there are three groups of players that I would be real interested in, it would be:

Dontay Moch as a possible conversion project to strong safety. This kid has speed to burn and is very strong. If not him, then Tyler Sash or Robert Lester.

Ben Ijalana or Danny Watkins as a solid 7th offensive lineman and 4th offensive guard.

Jaye Howard, Antonio Garay or Drake Nevis at a 4th/5th defensive tackle.

I saw it mentioned on twitter that Moch is now at 270lb (considering he was 245lb at the combine (thereabouts), that's quite a difference, particularly at 6'2". He had three sacks in pre-season so he's no slouch still. However, reading the comments of some Bengals journos, he can't bend the edge at all and relies on his straight line speed - which means LB presumably and we're well covered there.

I'd be fine with the move providing he can play a pass rushing DE. I'm just not sure it sounds like he can.

I strongly disagree with the need for a CB. I don't think they're going to find a veteran that's a worthwhile upgrade on Logan Ryan, who already won't see the field unless a CB gets hurt.

I agree. It's hard to think that anyone who has good coverage skills, is healthy (and not crazy) won't be on a team already.

I hate seeing Cole on defense, but at least he's the #5 rather than the #4, and no free agent is going to beat him out on special teams.

Last season I would have agreed completely, but did you see Cole on Thursday against the Giants? That one-handed pass bat down was a play that any top corner would have been proud of. Or am I missing something?

Here is a tick list of guys who I think could be looked at:

Matt Scott, QB (here is a read option quarterback with practice squad eligibility)

IIRC when they showed the video of BB being interviewed in the draft room, if you freeze framed it, they obscured most of the names of the board but there was one that was visible "Scott" and i wondered if they looked at him as a developmental/PS QB.. We'll see....

I saw it mentioned on twitter that Moch is now at 270lb (considering he was 245lb at the combine (thereabouts), that's quite a difference, particularly at 6'2". He had three sacks in pre-season so he's no slouch still. However, reading the comments of some Bengals journos, he can't bend the edge at all and relies on his straight line speed - which means LB presumably and we're well covered there.

I'd be fine with the move providing he can play a pass rushing DE. I'm just not sure it sounds like he can.

I didn't realize that Moch was up to 270 pounds. Maybe he can play defensive line at that weight for someone...

Because he sucked. There were reports that football was not a priority for him, but another report said the Pats were among the teams interested in him. Contract wasn't a big issue, with him only due a little over $1M each of the next two seasons. He did have some guaranteed money that I read about that might prevent him from being claimed, though.

Not so much that he sucked but that he failed to live up to the toughness he brought to college football. That just didn't translate into the NFL.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back