Welcome to PatsFans.com

We got a two-fer, football and politics at the same time

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Drewski, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Came across this on Barstool today.

Apparently Brendon Ayanbadejo of the Baltimore Ravens came out with a video in support of Gay Marriage last October.

As a result of this, Democrat Maryland State Delegate Emmett C. Burns Jr. wrote a letter to the owners of the Ravens to request that Ayanbadejo be sanctioned by the team for speaking out (Burns' letter, which was on official state letterhead can be found on the Barstool link below).

Following Burns' letter, Vikings Punter Chris Kluwe wrote an open letter to Burns (also in the Barstool link).

I don't intend for this to be another thread discussing Gay Marriage stance wise, although I am sure it will go there.

I really just wanted to share as the story covers two of our favorite topics, football and Politics, and honestly I thought Kluwe's letter was fantastic. Got his point across, wasn't over the top disrespectful, unless you are one of those "swearing is bad" types, and had some humor in there too.

» Vikings Kicker Rips Maryland Delegate For Telling Ravens Owner That He Needs To Tell His Players To Stop Supporting Gay Marriage Barstool Sports: Boston

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +431 / 8 / -4

I found the letter amusing ( I have no problem with cursing and enjoy creative swearing).

The less publicized and more serious issue, though, is who is this government official trying to get a private employer to sanction an employee for stating his views?

3. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I agree chico with your last statement and is actually 90% of the reason I posted the article.

I don't really know who he is, but he seemingly isn't a fan of the social experiment that has existed for the last 246 or so years, the United States of America.

4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I'm pretty sure the founding fathers would have wanted a separation of Football and State. That goes for you too, Spector

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Emmett C. Burns Jr.- Jesus freak.

Born in Jackson, Mississippi, August 26, 1940. Jackson State University, B.S., 1962; Virginia Union University, M.Div., 1968; Presbyterian School of Christian Education, M.R.E., 1969; University of Pittsburgh, Ph.D., 1974. Served in U.S. Air Force, 1975-78 (captain). Minister. Chair, Baltimore Safe Schools Committee, 1991-. Chair, Social Action Committee, United Baptist Convention of Maryland. Member, National Baptist Convention, U.S.A., Inc.; Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. Married; three sons.

6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,055 / 15 / -9

Emmet's not down with the National Democratic platform... I sense a change of party coming on...

Vikings are now my second favorite team. Okay, punter anyway. WTG Kluwe.

7. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I see the clergyman is the chair of the Baltimore safe schools committee and has been for 20 years. Maybe he ought to spend more time worrying about that and less about gay
    marriage when you have 12 year olds getting sexually assaulted in classrooms and 5 year olds bringing guns to school.

Baltimore boy, 5, brings gun to school, mother arrested - Crimesider - CBS News
    Baltimore Crime Beat: Schools - Baltimore crime news: Police, courts and police stories in the city and central Maryland - baltimoresun.com
    >>>Born in Jackson, Mississippi, August 26, 1940. Jackson State University, B.S., 1962; Virginia Union University, M.Div., 1968; Presbyterian School of Christian Education, M.R.E., 1969; University of Pittsburgh, Ph.D., 1974. Served in U.S. Air Force, 1975-78 (captain). Minister. Chair, Baltimore Safe Schools Committee, 1991-. Chair, Social Action Committee, United Baptist Convention of Maryland. Member, National Baptist Convention, U.S.A., Inc.; Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. Married; three sons.<<<<<<

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  8. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,950 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

Emmett C. Burns is a tool. Stupid and backward is stupid and backward. Ironically, he sees himself as a "civil rights champion". He wouldn't know civil rights if it stepped on his foot.

Chris Kluwe's letter is one of the alltime great missives.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012