PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Don't Need To Find More Cap Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have plenty of 2009 cap room. 2010 may not even have a cap. Yet, every day or so, we post about how to create 2009 cap room.

We have plenty of 2009 cap room. 2010 may not even have a cap. Yet, every day or so, we post about how to create 2009 cap room.

Some members are still having pipe dreams about getting Julius

Peppers.

I like my Pipe (Peppers) Dreams...... Thank you very much.

I want Peppers, d%#*!@t.

I tend to agree...for this year I don't see a real need either...I think Peppers is a long shot and may NOT be a good thing for the team. Who knows about 10...really...it may be uncapped?? But maybe not. No need to create space here..for who?? why??

Well, that may not be true. First, it seems that the Pats are intent on getting another OLB whether it is Derrick Burgess or someone else. If they do, then they will need cap room for that player. Also, NLTBE bonuses are acrued once they are earned and not in the following season like every other year. If the Pats have $2-4 million in such bonuses that are likely to be earned, they might be in desperate need of cap room come November and December.

As of right now they don't need cap room, but that doesn't mean the Pats won't have to free up cap space before the 53 man roster is locked and salaries are guaranteed.

They do need cap room. I didn't think this was really even in question. They can't sign Wilfork to an extension until they get more cap room, and that's just one move still to be made.

Last edited:
They do need cap room. I didn't think this was really even in question. They can't sign Wilfork to an extension until they get more cap room, and that's just one move still to be made.

I forgot that scenario. Wilfork, Seymour, Mankins, and/or others may be approached for new deals before the season is over. Only Seymour could get an extension without significantly raising his cap number at least in theory.

I think pretty much any team that has approx. 5 million in cap room would like to have more space, and they need to (somewhat) monitor the situation closely.

I think it may an assumption to some degree also, thinking that we know what they want to do. They may want to extend Vince, or sign someone else--we just don't know, there are too many variables probably.

IMO, the only teams that don't really need to worry about the space right now are the ones with 15-20 + to spend.

absolutely correct

Maybe "need" is the wrong word. Is the team in cap trouble? Clearly not. If they had more cap room could they make good use of it? I'd certainly think so.

(Or could it be they're just making a bet on an uncapped 2010?)

What will be Wilfork's new cap number if he is extended???

I am estimating that
the Pats are under the cap by about 6.05 million.
it will take about $1.45 million in cap space to sign the 2009 draft picks
it will take about $1.25 million in cap space to sign players 52,53 and the practice squad.
that leaves about $2.79 million in cap space BEFORE
leaving a reserve to replace injured players
leaving a reserve to account for NLTBE incentives that may be reached in 2009
players not in Top 51 list displace players in the Top 51 thereby creating cap space.

I am estimating that
it will take about $1.25 million in cap space to sign players 52,53 and the practice squad.
players not in Top 51 list displace players in the Top 51 thereby creating cap space.

So, for those of us who flunked capology. Are you saying they DO need more cap space, or they're ok? :confused:

I am estimating that
Miguel....Is $2.79 million a reasonable number to have?? Or a bit on the low side?? Just was curious since you know about past years. Thanks.
I think NEED is the operative word.."need more cap money"...maybe not, but I agree that with MORE cap money they could use it to extend and to look more for 10...although with the uncapped year, I have to wonder how much they wish to commit now before knowing how that will turn out. My thoughts are that once they have a good idea which way it will go, they will act accordingly. What will help ALL NFL clubs is an early resolution and not this last minute garbage like the last time.

$6.05M - $1.45M - $1.25M = $3.35M
Have I missed something?

As you indicated, the actual will be somewhat somewhat more since players not presently in the top 51 could be replaced by someone not in the top 51. For example, Guyton (and BJGE and Redd) would all add to the cap available if the make the 53.

QUESTION
What the potential for the NLTBE's? This rule seems a nightmare. What is supposed to happen when players each these incentives on the last week of the season? Will it even be possible for some teams to get under the cap at that late date?

I am estimating that

What will be Wilfork's new cap number if he is extended???

I'll let you know when I see the contract. ;)

His hit for this season, as you've got posted, is under $3 million. Unless the Patriots are going to let Wilfork hit the market, he's going to get some new money this year and the cap will need to cover it. And Wilfork's not the only player who's contract 'needs' addressing. Between the RFAs and the UFAs, the Patriots are either going to need to be active with contracts this season, or they're going to be bidding on the open market just to keep their own players next season.

Gostkowski
Faulk
Seymour
Wilfork
Green
Neal
Kazcur
Mankins

Are just some of the players who'll be free agents after this year. I don't expect that the team will want them all to return, but there's going to be some that will need good money if they're to be convinced to stick around. One could, of course, apply the word 'need' in such a way as to ignore all of this, but that would be a mighty tight reading of it, especially given that Wilfork's talked about his extension.

Jarvis Green would net $2 million in cap space if the team cut him. I certainly don't consider that an impossibility.

Last edited:
While there is about $6mm total remaining on the cap under the Rule of 51, once you account for the 53-man roster, drop McKenzie to IR and Tate to PUP, add in the practice squad, you have about $2.5mm remaining.

Note that a couple guys at least have significant escalators, such as Greg Lewis with an extra $1.25mm salary based on playing time.

$2.5mm is not enough to cover many IR replacements. Certainly not enough for any significant extensions or the addition of a veteran linebacker.

There is plenty of cap room for the projected 53, but not much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back