PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We do not match up well against Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.
so suddenly buffalo has the secret to stopping welker? haven't teams been trying to stop him all season? this is quite humorous.

i can't believe all the negativity. i was quite impressed at the 3-4 calculated patient drives yesterday. it gave me hope for the offense.

My boss is from Buffalo and watch's all their games. He told me today; the Bills have no chance to win.
I believe him.

Who are you expecting the Bills to use to double Welker?

With all respect to you, Buffalo currently has the 4th best pass defense in the entire NFL.

Their defense has also caused 30 turnovers this year. With a sufficient pass rush, as we saw in game 1, they have the capacity to win this game--no doubt. And Schobel always has good games vs. Brady. The rookie Byrd has proven to be a ball hawk, their secondary is a lot better than ours, IMO.

Terrell Owens has over 400 yds and 3 TD's in his last 3 games, something the new coach promised to do was get him the ball.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but everyone took game 1 for granted too. Buffalo is 2 different teams this yr, and are a different team entirely with the new coach. He has somehow found a way to pump them up.

My boss is from Buffalo and watch's all their games. He told me today; the Bills have no chance to win.
I believe him.
That was the thought in the opening game of the season. Their shotty o-line stone walled the defense for the majority of the game and our offense took a while to click into gear.

You can't take any game for granted. Just ask defending Superbowl Champions Sh|ttsburgh.

Last edited:
That was the thought in the opening game of the season. Their shotty o-line stone walled the defense for the majority of the game and our offense took a while to click into gear.

You can't take any game for granted. Just ask defending Superbowl Champions Sh|ttsburgh

That was the BILLS SB. Look at them since that game.

Would love to hear more than one line of reasoning for why the Pats don't match up well against the Bills. They have no passing game; passing defense is our biggest weakness. We match about badly against Schobel, that's about it.

We match up just fine. Our terrible weakness is defending the pass, the worse the opposing QB the better the matchup. Which makes this a good matchup.

so suddenly buffalo has the secret to stopping welker? haven't teams been trying to stop him all season? this is quite humorous.

I don't know how humerous it really is, to be honest. (?)

I don't think BUF has the 'secret' as you say to stopping Welker, but if they limit Moss, as everyone has done for the past month, and take away our number 3 WR (oops, nevermind we don't have one) they certainly have the capacity to develop a decent game plan vs. Welker.

I don't think they'll 'stop' him but neither did MIA or CAR, and they kept the game pretty damn close.

As I said, Buffalo has the league's 4th rated secondary, and they've caused 30 turnovers. The secondary themselves have come up with 21 interceptions, so apparently someone's back there doing something.

Again, take away Moss, like the previous 4 teams have done, and forget about the #3---that pretty much points you to one direction, no?

I think it's a great matchup. If the Pats commit to the run they should have a great game. The Jets have a lousy passing game and the Bills could load up on the run. They can't do that against the Pats. Defensively, I see us handling the Bills running game pretty well.

New England hasn't lost to Buffalo since the game after Milloy left. Claiming that they don't match up well seems like a poor choice of words in light of that fact.

With all respect to you, Buffalo currently has the 4th best pass defense in the entire NFL.

Their defense has also caused 30 turnovers this year. With a sufficient pass rush, as we saw in game 1, they have the capacity to win this game--no doubt. And Schobel always has good games vs. Brady. The rookie Byrd has proven to be a ball hawk, their secondary is a lot better than ours, IMO.

Terrell Owens has over 400 yds and 3 TD's in his last 3 games, something the new coach promised to do was get him the ball.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but everyone took game 1 for granted too. Buffalo is 2 different teams this yr, and are a different team entirely with the new coach. He has somehow found a way to pump them up.

With all due respect you are insane if you are scared of the Jills. I bet you check the closet and under the bed before you go to sleep at night huh?

I don't know how humerous it really is, to be honest. (?)

I don't think BUF has the 'secret' as you say to stopping Welker, but if they limit Moss, as everyone has done for the past month, and take away our number 3 WR (oops, nevermind we don't have one) they certainly have the capacity to develop a decent game plan vs. Welker.

I don't think they'll 'stop' him but neither did MIA or CAR, and they kept the game pretty damn close.

As I said, Buffalo has the league's 4th rated secondary, and they've caused 30 turnovers. The secondary themselves have come up with 21 interceptions, so apparently someone's back there doing something.

Again, take away Moss, like the previous 4 teams have done, and forget about the #3---that pretty much points you to one direction, no?

hasnt that been the pats problem all year long with not getting other players involved? ben watson finally made an appearance yesterday. will edelman come back? will maroney have another solid game.

sure if the pats only rely on two guys then bad things are gonna happen but yesterdays patient diversified drives give me hope

Would love to hear more than one line of reasoning for why the Pats don't match up well against the Bills. They have no passing game; passing defense is our biggest weakness. We match about badly against Schobel, that's about it.

In the past 3 games with the new coach, Terrell Owens has over 400 yds and 3 TD's. The new coach is making a good attempt to get his playmakers the ball, and Lee Evans and T.O. are playmakers. They could give our secondary problems for sure. Their at worst equal to or better than Miami in this area, as they have better receivers.

Since the new coach took over, they've played 3 playoff potential teams (NYJ,MIA,JAX) and KC. In those games their defense has given up 18, 14, 19, and 10 points--which averages to 15 per game, pretty damn good.

Besides Schobel, we could have problems with their secondary coupled with our lack of a #3 etc--that's another potential matchup problem.

They have a running based ball control offense, much like MIA, with better WR's than MIA, and a better defense than MIA. Even their poor rush defense has been corrected to some degree, as they've limited 3 playoff contenders to an average of 15 pts a game with the new coach. Hopefully, we can exploit their rush defense.

---------------------------

I'm not going to go as far as to say we match up poorly against them, but I will play devil's advocate and point out some out their improvements over the past 4 games since Fewell took over. Keep in mind also that out of their 4 games with Fewell, they won 2 and lost 2--but all 4 were close, as their losses were by a FG to JAX, and 2 FG's to NYJ.

While I agree we should win, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Buffalo won or at the very least pushed us to the brink. Hope I am terribly wrong, and we pound them so I can relax and enjoy our playoff run.

With all due respect you are insane if you are scared of the Jills. I bet you check the closet and under the bed before you go to sleep at night huh?

LOL

Not sure where you're going with this, but we were talking about some potential problems Buffalo could give us.

I used the term "with all due respect," because that's how I talk to people, with respect. I was simply pointing out some differences, yet showing the poster that I appreciate his POV. You must be new here because everyone knows I treat everyone I talk to with respect...you should give it a whirl.

As far as the "jills", they almost beat us this year, so, not sure where you're going with that (?)

The bottom line is that Buffalo has played 4 games with new coach Perry Fewell. In 3 of those games they played playoff contenders, JAX, NYJ, and MIA, along with KC. In those 4 games they gave up an average of 15 pts, and lost by a FG and 2 FG's---the point is that they've toughened up lately, and are playing a lot more inspired.

If that upsets you that I pointed those facts out in a respectful manner in a thread where we were talking about Buffalo...then sincerest regrets I suppose. I thought that's what we were discussing.

Last edited:
hasnt that been the pats problem all year long with not getting other players involved? ben watson finally made an appearance yesterday. will edelman come back? will maroney have another solid game.

sure if the pats only rely on two guys then bad things are gonna happen but yesterdays patient diversified drives give me hope

I agree that the more diversified drives gave me hope too.

I hope that you are right, and that we can continue to get other players involved. That's obviously key.

I think we should/will win almost as much as most of us do, yet am cautious due to the same exact talk during our 1st BUF game + last wk's MIA game.

That means the Buffalo coaches think he is better, they could be wrong. Fitz has a QB rating below 60, I'm not too worried about him

Have you watched Edwards play? He is ridiculously bad. I'm not pumping up Fitzpatrick. Everyone knows he's weak. But Edwards is worse than Matt Moore.

they lead the league in INT plus if wilfork and warren dont go then our run d is going to suffer. With jauron gone they seem to involve TO andevans more and more daring now. Plus the bills crowd is always up for their local games. They havent beaten the pats in a while but so hadnt cleveland against pitt and we know what happened.

Warren hasn't gone all season...

I'm here all week:D

I'd like to see if Vollmer could hold the line against Schobel better than light. No desire to see him on the right side again though...

It's an intriguing matchup I'll say that much. Buffalo can't pass block but NE can't rush the passer, something has to give. Miami had 6 or 7 sacks vs the Bills but when they didn't get there, Fitzpatrick was able to make plays with Owens and Evans. Pats struggle in coverage when the opposing QB's have time and the Bills have better WR's than Miami or Carolina has. Fitzpatrick can also run around a bit. I agree Buffalo will struggle mightily with NE's running game but the Bills have had an uncanny ability to give up 100 yards (Ricky Williams) and even 200 yards (Thomas Jones) and still win the game. They also get some decent pressure and have lots of picks on the year.

Bottom line the Pats are better and should pull it out but they best be careful about letting Buffalo hang around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back