PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We do not match up well against Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously, they will double Welker for the entire game, daring an injured Brady to make a living without him as a major threat.

Also, Buffalo has a vanilla offense, two top runners and two top receivers. With DL injuries, the runners may have big games, with the two receivers keeping the defense honest.

This will be another ugly game. Charles did pretty good running yesterday. Hopefully Sammy, Faulk, Maroney (and maybe Taylor???) are up to the task.

This will be another ugly game. Charles did pretty good running yesterday. Hopefully Sammy, Faulk, Maroney (and maybe Taylor???) are up to the task.
Surprise surprise come December you need a reliable running game to fall back on, no matter who the opponent. Let LoMo run all over them.

Do you think if they double Welker and Moss somebody will be open?

Since PATs don't match up well,
..... I wonder how they beat them the first time?:confused:

If Pats play like they have been it will be a long day for the PATs
but if they play like they can play it should be a good game and I would give PATs the edge. Bill have as many injury concerns as PATs. Their Oline has
been hurt.

Bills statistically have the worst run defense in the AFC, but stats are for losers :)

We won the game las time because Buffalo folded at the end of the game.

but if they play like they can play it should be a good game and I would give PATs the edge. Bill have as many injury concerns as PATs. Their Oline has
been hurt.

Also, Buffalo has a vanilla offense, two top runners and two top receivers. With DL injuries, the runners may have big games, with the two receivers keeping the defense honest.

It's on this side of vanilla, but unfortunately thanks to the firing of Jauron, it is no longer conservative. It is bascially a nothing-to-lose offense and we will have our hands full.

I see another low-scoring slugfest. The key is to maximize on the errors you know Fitzpatrick will be making, and stop their two-back systems before it wears down on the D.

We won the game las time because Buffalo folded at the end of the game.

They didn't fold. Brady was brilliant. Two straight TD's threaded through the needle to Watson up the middle on the shake route that they use in the smash to beat the cover 2 RZ scheme that the Bills use.

well, we're playing them on the road, which means we don't match up against them, but they have a losing record, which means we should match up ok....

they lead the league in INT plus if wilfork and warren dont go then our run d is going to suffer. With jauron gone they seem to involve TO andevans more and more daring now. Plus the bills crowd is always up for their local games. They havent beaten the pats in a while but so hadnt cleveland against pitt and we know what happened.

We match up just fine against Buffalo. They are a bad bad football team and we should take care of business even on the road. I'm not saying the Pats blow em out but they should win this game. I'm not worried about it.. and if they somehow lose then it's just more of the same.. this team is just not that good this year. But they are much better than Buffalo.

If they double Welker we'll run it down their throat. Last year BJGE had a big game against them and now we have 2 better runners (3 if Taylor plays). And I haven't seen alot of Fitzpatrick, but the little I've seen of him he is terrible, much less of a threat to us than Trent Edwards.

We match up just fine against Buffalo. They are a bad bad football team and we should take care of business even on the road. I'm not saying the Pats blow em out but they should win this game. I'm not worried about it.. and if they somehow lose then it's just more of the same.. this team is just not that good this year. But they are much better than Buffalo.

If all this is true, then why are we worried about Miami? Miami, after all, was blown out by Buffalo.

So we can't have it both ways. We can't say Buffalo is awful and we are worried about Miami. The team that blew out Miami just might not be the same team that lost all those games this year.

If they double Welker we'll run it down their throat. Last year BJGE had a big game against them and now we have 2 better runners (3 if Taylor plays). And I haven't seen alot of Fitzpatrick, but the little I've seen of him he is terrible, much less of a threat to us than Trent Edwards.

Nope, he's actually much better than Edwards. Edwards isn't hurt, he just got beat out.

all kidding aside, I would just like this team to put together two good halves on both sides of the ball before we have to face Jacksonville and go to Houston

Nope, he's actually much better than Edwards. Edwards isn't hurt, he just got beat out.

That means the Buffalo coaches think he is better, they could be wrong. Fitz has a QB rating below 60, I'm not too worried about him

Obviously, they will double Welker for the entire game, daring an injured Brady to make a living without him as a major threat.

Not sure where you are coming from. Welker averages over 9 catches a game. You think doubling him is a fresh, new idea that everyone has missed up to this point? Who are you expecting the Bills to use to double Welker?

The Bills have Fitzpatrick (little over 50% completion with almost 2:1 int/TD ratio) throwing the ball so the receivers aren't overly effective. The OL is a mess and the running game isn't even as good as the Pats.

On defense, the Bills have some playmakers but not enough to be consistent. On top of that they are banged up as well. They give up 360 ypg (24th in the league) and the run D is dead last. They rely on interceptions (that is how they beat the Fins a couple of weeks ago) so they are really depending on Brady having a baaaaaaaad day.

Any given Sunday and all that...but this Bills team is amazingly ill-equipped to deal with this Pats team.

With few exceptions, playing in Buffalo is never easy in December. While I don't agree that we don't match up well with the Bills I do think it not going to be an easy game.

been hurt.

They beat them the 1st time because Leodis McKelvin coughed up a fumble with under 2 min. remaining, allowing Brady to have another possession and ultimately scoring to win the game by a point.

Seeing how they held a 2 possession lead at the 5 min. mark of the 4th quarter in Foxborough, they will certainly play us tough. I see the game being like last yr's game at BUF, minus the intense winds hopefully. They needed everything they could muster last yr, and the defense has to play tough like yesterday.

As far for 'doubling' both Moss and Welker, that's almost impossible, but they certainly will double Welker and roll a safety to Moss' side as often as possible. This will limit Moss' chances, but hopefully we can get a crack or two at a deep ball. Who do you suggest will be freed up with the doubling of Welker? We have no real other viable option at #3, that's why teams can mostly get away with that coverage. If we had a decent #3, you're right, someone would be open more often.

Buffalo's defense is tough besides their obvious problems against the run, they can pressure the QB and cause turnovers. Their pass defense is a lot better than their run defense, so I expect that's the weakness we'll try to take advantage of. The NYJ thought they had an easy time too, with their #1 rushing offense vs. BUF's #32 ranked rushing defense--and the game was 20-14.

They have been a much more scrappy and intense team since the coaching change, and have been playing way better, as we saw against MIA and the NYJ. The QB Fitzgerald seems to make less mental mistakes than Edwards did, and isn't afraid to throw the longer passes to Evans and T.O., who we'll certainly have our hands full with.

This is certainly a big divisional game, and we need it badly. I'm not saying BUF is anything super-special, but they are a lot tougher generally at home, specifically at home in December. They play their divisional games tough, have a revenge factor from Sept., and a streak to stop against us. They'll also be motivated as hell to try and keep us out of the playoffs. It certainly has the capacity to be a very dangerous game.

Here is their depth chart on defense

LDE Chris Kelsay Aaron Maybin Chris Ellis LDT Marcus Stroud Spencer Johnson RDT Kyle Williams John McCargo RDE Aaron Schobel Ryan Denney OLB1 Bryan Scott Nic Harris Ashlee Palmer MLB Paul Posluszny Chris Draft OLB2 Chris Draft Jon Corto LCB Terrence McGee Ashton Youboty Ellis Lankster Cary Harris
RCB Drayton Florence Reggie Corner FS Donte Whitner Jairus Byrd Todd Johnson SS Bryan Scott George Wilson John Wendling

And On offense

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick Trent Edwards Brian Brohm
FB Corey McIntyre
RB Marshawn Lynch Fred Jackson
WR1 Lee Evans Roscoe Parrish Steve Johnson
LT Jonathan Scott Kirk Chambers Andre Ramsey
LG Andy Levitre
C Geoff Hangartner Christian Gaddis
RG Kendall Simmons Christian Gaddis
RT Kirk Chambers Jamon Meredith
TE Shawn Nelson Jonathan Stupar Joe Klopfenstein
WR2 Terrell Owens Josh Reed Justin Jenkins James Hardy

Who don't the Patriots match up well against?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing