PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We could win the superbowl with Jimmy Garoppolo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ian I think there's a problem with the board. I seem to be getting redirected to the Buffalo Bills forum.

Let's tap the brakes folks. If he continues to play, other teams will have more film to review.
He is a good kid though.

Yeah for sure way too early, but it is the first time I have felt the Patriots post season would not be toast if Tom went down. Cassell I think surprised everyone in 2008 and then he was gone. Garopollo looks to at least be as good as him and today we look to have one of the best all around teams in football, plus we have Brady, Gronk, Lewis, Nink, maybe Volmer, Cooper, Rowe all waiting to come in and play. We get our pass rush humming a bit better and the injuries don't bite too bad. Such a strong team this year, glad Bill made the second round pick 3 years ago. Our chances of winning with Garoppolo remain very good.

Just realized there was one other year we had as good a backup to Tom. 2001, Drew came into theAFC title game at the half and felt good about him carrying the team. So impressed Bill knew Tom was the man, so many other coaches would have kept the ball in the hands of the 100 million dollar man for the superbowl.

To me, this post kind of supports those urging caution on evaluating a quarterback so early. Sure, Jimmy looks good just like Matt Cassel did, but is anyone arguing Matt Cassel turned out to be a great quarterback? He set records with NE, and then other teams got film on him, and now he's a journeyman backup with the Titans.

I can think of 2 backup QBs who won Super Bowls -- Earl Morrall and Jeff Hostetler.

Actually, Brady arguably makes 3. Perhaps there were other similar cases I'm not thinking of.

That's not counting backup-quality kinds of guys, such as the immortal Trent Dilfer.

That would be tall in regular life, yes, but 6'2" puts him on the list of the shortest NFL QBs.
The average height of an NFL quarterback is 6-foot-3; that puts him slightly below average.

I feel quite sure every fan on the board wants this one for Brady and wants to see him at the helm.

But for the first time in our dynasty era I feel we have a quarterback we could turn to and still win the superbowl. Every other year I felt if we lost Brady, then the superbowl was lost.

Now we have seen Garoppolo for a few preseasons and we know his opening play will be pock marked with some inconsistencies not seen yet as his game develops. I am particularly worried about the number of tipped balls and if a defense like the Texans that has great length up front could strategize for tipped interceptions. Garoppolo I think has gained a lot of confidence from these early games. If called upon that is so important for a qb. He benefits from what I think today is the best team we have ever fielded. Time and injuries of course will tell the tale if it is. Well 2004 was pretty stacked.

He won't play this Thursday because he could end up being our most important player winning the superbowl. For all those fans who salivate over his pick worth, what would it be if he replaced an injured Brady and won the superbowl.

Just for the record, I don't think my typing in the internet will jinx Tom. I want Tom to win the superbowl as the starting quarterback. So long as it looks like Tom can play I want him as our quarterback.

I suppose he could... but let's hope we don't see such a scenario play out.

The average height of an NFL quarterback is 6-foot-3; that puts him slightly below average.

He's in the bottom 1/3 for height. Per USA Today, this is the list of the "Shortest QB's" in the NFL, as of last year, believe. Not sure why Robert Griffin III and Tony Romo (who are both also 6'2") aren't listed. Also, I'm not suggesting height has anything to do with skill, just that size is a factor when you have huge NFL players slamming into you week after week.

Shortest QB's:
  1. Russell Wilson – Seattle Seahawks – 5'11"
  2. Drew Brees – New Orleans Saints – 6' (No.6)
  3. Johnny Manziel – Cleveland Browns – 6'
  4. Tyrod Taylor – Buffalo Bills – 6'1"
  5. Aaron Rodgers – Green Bay Packers – 6'2" (No. 5)
  6. Brian Hoyer – Houston Texans – 6'2" (No. 10)
  7. Andy Dalton – Cincinnati Bengals – 6'2" (No. 4)
  8. Ryan Fitzpatrick – New York Jets – 6'2"(No. 7)
  9. Teddy Bridgewater – Minnesota Vikings – 6'2"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back