PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We could use more Gadget plays to keep Ds Honest

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If we start using more gadget plays like I have seen more often throughtout the whole NFL this year and more so than in the past like the flea flicker,some type of end around,WR Reverse,HB/RB pass (if they show in practice that they can pass well) and other fakes I think defenses will be more apt to not just preparing for the run by crowding the box and keep them more honest and respecting the pass more especially till we have the QB/WR thing corrected
We almost succeeded in the flea flicker in the Denver game and in the Cincy game the end around to CJ was the very beginning of the momentum change we needed in the game when we were behind by 6 at the time,Why we are not using it more on offense and it would have been nice to see in the Miami game when the O was having problems is a wonder,I bet it would have worked,even with that solid Miami D-Line​
With the fact that we have a very good OL a Great QB and K. Faulk (which I had once heard was a decent passer if he was asked to do so) we should be apt to doing these unusual plays a bit more often and being a bit more intriguing/unpredictable with plays than just putting Vrable in Goalline situations which has been used several times so far,if that counts as a gadget-type designed play. - The more surprising our O plays are,the better chance to break a long play down the field from time to time and getting our WRs a good chance to show thier breakaway stuff more.​
Maybe Troy Brown who subbed shortly at QB in the Preseason game is prepping for a pass in some game this year,It would be cool to see #80 show us pats fans the rest of his unmeasurable talents as his career nears the end,I bet he could toss a nice pass out there from a gadget play like as 'WR short Reverse then stop and pass play' or something of that nature.​

hire mularkey ?

PATRIOT64 said:
If we start using more gadget plays like I have seen more often throughtout the whole NFL this year and more so than in the past like the flea flicker,some type of end around,WR Reverse,HB/RB pass (if they show in practice that they can pass well) and other fakes I think defenses will be more apt to not just preparing for the run by crowding the box and keep them more honest and respecting the pass more especially till we have the QB/WR thing corrected
We almost succeeded in the flea flicker in the Denver game and in the Cincy game the end around to CJ was the very beginning of the momentum change we needed in the game when we were behind by 6 at the time,Why we are not using it more on offense and it would have been nice to see in the Miami game when the O was having problems is a wonder,I bet it would have worked,even with that solid Miami D-Line​
With the fact that we have a very good OL a Great QB and K. Faulk (which I had once heard was a decent passer if he was asked to do so) we should be apt to doing these unusual plays a bit more often and being a bit more intriguing/unpredictable with plays than just putting Vrable in Goalline situations which has been used several times so far,if that counts as a gadget-type designed play. - The more surprising our O plays are,the better chance to break a long play down the field from time to time and getting our WRs a good chance to show thier breakaway stuff more.​
Maybe Troy Brown who subbed shortly at QB in the Preseason game is prepping for a pass in some game this year,It would be cool to see #80 show us pats fans the rest of his unmeasurable talents as his career nears the end,I bet he could toss a nice pass out there from a gadget play like as 'WR short Reverse then stop and pass play' or something of that nature.​

The games against the Bills, Jets and Dolphins this year were EXACTLY as BB always does a first game against a division opponent. VANILLA game plan. Don't show them too much unless under duress. The Bengal game, however, was an opportunity for an early season test drive.

I had endzone seats yesterday and you could just see the thinking. At 13-10, all of a sudden the Pats put pedal to the metal for 6-7 minutes (even our pass rush made an unscheduled appearance).

The playbook will get a greater workout later in the season, but for now it is evident BB is playing his cards very close to the vest.

I really feel we could use more screens. seems like that is a lost play in our sets. guys like maroney and watson can be lethal after the catch. I feel like we used to run alot more of them.

Parker said:
I really feel we could use more screens. seems like that is a lost play in our sets. I feel like we used to run alot more of them.

The fact that we have run so many screens is the reason we aren't running them quite as often right now. The teams we play have scouting departments, too.

When opponents start overplaying to stop your stuff, you have to change it up.

We are watching these games on a very superficial level. The Pats are charting their tendencies and have very specific targets as far as play distributions.

BTW, if you run a lot of gadget plays, they are no longer gadget plays.

after the bye, i think we will see some gadget plays from the Pats

As much as I like gadget plays, think this team has to keep focusing on the basics and get their timing down with Brady and receiver. Gadget plays can also lead to more turnovers and big losses if sniffed out. There is a place for everything, what I would like to see if more no huddle, more of the short passing game and that may open more for the wr's. Brady needs to get into a rhythm for a couple of games and the receivers will follow suit, but they need to get the timing stuff down first.

shmessy said:
The games against the Bills, Jets and Dolphins this year were EXACTLY as BB always does a first game against a division opponent. VANILLA game plan. Don't show them too much unless under duress.

I have a feeling we did that against Denver. The flea flicker was predictable though- we saw it in the playoffs last year but it worked that time. Kinda like we used the quick screen to Givens (who dropped it) since it worked against the Steelers in the '04 AFCCG.

Our passing game will be stout enough to beat Denver next time around. Lord knows we won't need too many points to beat those guys.

What's Faulk's lifetime passer rating? It used to be astronomical due to a TD or two, but then he threw an INT and it plummeted. It may still be higher than Brady's, however ... although probably not as high as Adam Vinateri's.

Gresh made a good point yesterday on NEST about WR quick hitches. NE's WRs right now aren't the Branch or Patten type of "juke and go" type runners. Caldwell and Gabriel are bigger type WRs and those types of plays aren't really designed for them.

With regard to screens, NE needs to prove that they can do anything down the field before people respect that. Yes, it worked in 2001 without anyone really strecthing the field, but teams are more ready for the all screen, all the time offense. Maybe if NE sees a team that blitzes all the time, they can pull that one out, but so far that hasn't been the case.

And gadget plays, yes the flea flicker nearly worked, but do you really want to pull those out against a team that you feel confident won't go over 14 points in the game? Particularly when you get 13 points in the first 20 minutes? They had no need against Cincy's porous D either. When was the last time they faced a team that they knew might put up points and might give NE a hard time offensively? Denver, the game in which the flea flicker was used.

BTW, now that I know that NE used the shot-gun in the 4th quarter, I'm more convinced than ever that they6 went into the game using about 1/3 of what they might normally use offensively. They just wanted to grind it out against a poor, mistake prone team. But when it was time to close the door, they opened things up just enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back