Welcome to PatsFans.com

We could play the Squeelers 1st round?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by carolinatony, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carolinatony

carolinatony Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

1 Indy
    2 San Deigo

3 Pats
    4 Cincinnati
    5 Baltimore 9-7 better conf record
    6 Pittsburgh 9-7

If Pittsburgh wins its last 2 games ( Ravens and Miami)
    The Ravens beat Oakland last game
    Denver loses to Philly
    Jets to lose to Indy or Cincinnati
    Jacksonville loses to us

Am I correct here?
  2. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

Assuming we don't throw the game against Houston, yes.
  3. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -7

#24 Jersey

Yes, you certainly are.

For PIT to make it they need this help:

NYJ to lose another game (play CIN and IND)
    JAX to lose another game (could happen this week to NE as 7 1/2 pt underdogs)

Finally they need DEN to lose another game (play Philly on Sunday)
    -------------OR---------------
    OAK to beat BAL in week 17---one or the other but not both

There is also another scenario that gives PIT the #5 seed, where we could see them as a #4.
  4. supafly

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -7

#24 Jersey

There's another scenario that involves PIT getting the #5, thus playing us at #4 even if we blow the HOU game.

It is a bit harder than their path to #6 of course, and would involve a team below them to get in at #6 (TEN, DEN, HOU)

EDIT: Their chance at #5 is indeed slim, but still a possibility. Their chance at #6 is quite possible.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  5. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Honestly I don't see them beating both Balti and Miami. But if they win out I'm sure they will get in....Denver, Jets, Hou, Jax will all most likely lose at least a game.
  6. supafly

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -7

#24 Jersey

I see them winning at home on Sun, in a rowdy Heinz field enviornment, and then I believe the week #17 game at MIA will be flexed for the last spot.

They matchup well against the Fins, so it'll be close no matter what.

The big reason I think they win the last 2 is because they were for the most part--eliminated. They talked of playing last week for pride, etc, then found out that all 5 things they needed to happen came through. They are very pumped up here in Pittsburgh, talking like it's 2005 again, etc. I think they have a renewed sense of life, and will play a lot tougher on defense (if any of that makes sense)

Basically I think they have a 2nd life/chance and will take advantage of it, but I hope not.
  7. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I live about an hour from Pittsburgh so I'm also unfortunately in the middle of all this hoopla. I'm really looking forward to the Baltimore game Sunday, that's gonna be wild. But I think Baltimore's a much better team now than last time the teams met... if the Steelers do pull this one out I agree their chances are very good. I just don't think they're consistent enough.

The hilarious part of all this is that if they would have just beaten a few awful teams in Oakland, Chicago, KC, and Cleveland, they'd be in control for a first round bye.
  8. supafly

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -7

#24 Jersey

To be honest, and I don't mean to offend anyone or be negative, I think we'll have our hands full with JAX on Sunday. If the Jaguars win, they play the lowly Browns in week 17 without Brady Quinn, who was doing a lot better lately. So should JAX get past us on Sunday, they get in for sure. I think JAX will be fighting for their lives on Sunday, and match up well against us. I guess it all depends on what Patriot team shows up.

If PIT doesn't make it, I believe there's a chance it could be because of JAX beating us. Then again, you very well could be correct and they'll lose one of their last two games.
  9. supafly

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -7

#24 Jersey

Unfortunately, I live in Pittsburgh. I don't like the people or the Steeler fans at all.

I was really enjoying these ass clowns cry about their downfall, but at the same time, I still think they have a lot of weapons on offense--and a punishing defense (when Polamolu comes back).
  10. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 13 / -8

I dont know why we would
    A) think a team that has lost 5 of their last 6, including losses to Oakland, Cleveland and KC could win 2 in a row against 500+ teams or
    B) why we would be worried if they did
  11. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Because they are an "anytime, anyplace" team. Traditionally we've owned them, both in the regular season and playoffs, but you never count them out.
  12. supafly

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -7

#24 Jersey

Personally, Andy, I am worried (somewhat) because they have been competitive throughout all of those losses.

They lost 3 tough divisional losses to BAL, CIN, and CLE. I believe the losses to KC and OAK wouldn't happen again. Basically I think their long streak of luck wore out, but all of their losses were by a score or less. They (much like us) were having a hard time closing out the 4th quarter/OT of games.

Against teams with winning records they are 5-2.

They are a totally 100 % different team with Polamalu out, and are getting him back. This is an obvious plus for their defense, which is still #2 in the NFL in sacks, and #1 against the rush. They can still cause lots of pressure, etc.

Their offense is very dynamic, and they have lots of weapons. Ward is a possession receiver who plays very hard. Holmes can beat you deep and with those 15-20 yd passes also. Heath Miller is a top tier TE, having his best year, and the rookie, Wallace is another stretch the field deep threat. This is all without Mendanhall and Parker, who establish the run game.

Personally, I'd much rather play a more run-first, conservative offense that we match up a little better with, such as MIA, DEN, or BAL.
  13. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +729 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

Because all it takes is for a certain safety to return and it becomes a whole new ballgame.
  14. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They are a desparate team, look at the way they played on Sunday. Look at the players on their roster, they are the defending champs. They are a dangerous team.
  15. supafly

Ratings:
    +381 / 3 / -7

#24 Jersey

Great point.

Imagine how dejected our team would've been, had they found out they were for all intents and purposes--eliminated from playoff competition. How heavy the hearts must've been in Pittsburgh, knowing that they failed defending their title after all of the dreams, etc about repeating.

For the game against GB last week, the only thing they could even go on was team pride, and winning one for the fans.

Then... they win on a 4th down attempt with 00:00 time on the clock, with a frantic SB-like catch by a point. With their backs against the wall, after a horrible controversial descision by their coach, they step up with their season on the line...only to find out that 5 different things happened to throw them right back into the playoff race.

Imagine how any team would have renewed vigor and a sense of confidence, knowing they can put all of those thoughts of failing to bed by winning the last 2 games. They can put to bed all of the talk of losing streaks, etc, all of the pain of losing close games, etc by closing out the season by beating an opponent who could barely beat them while injury riddled with a 3rd string QB!

When given a 2nd chance, I believe this team will take advantage of it, point blank. They are very dangerous, IMO, for these reasons, and the reasons listed several posts above.
  16. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

I think that PITT would be a lot more dangerous with two more wins than DEN, MIA or the jets, and probably more dangerous than BALT. And if their best player returns, no one will want to play them.
  17. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Because they're the PITTSBURGH STEELERS. Enough said. ;)
  18. JR4

JR4 In the Starting Line-up PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -2

Worry??? I guess every game in the playoffs can cause worry or should.
    Even teams not expected to win can pull off an upset. IMO.
    ( Ask the RAMs )
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  19. BradyBranch39

BradyBranch39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

playing them in the first round would definitely be our worst-case scenario.
  20. PatsfanGlo

PatsfanGlo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's one team I would not want Pats to face in wild card. With them, anything goes.....too many vets who been there. And its very highly likely someone will get dinged up even if Pats win, considering they are very physical team.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.