Welcome to PatsFans.com

We can't handle the truth !!!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turk, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

FOX news....

I watch for the comedic value. But I really feel sorry for those who take the 'NEWS' they report as being fact. I wonder how long people can accept being lied to because it supports their political view.

FOX takes skewed statistics and mixes them with lies and then calls people who don't agree with them names. Its childish, and for the most part....it works!

I just heard Bill Oreiley tell me, and Wesley Clark (formers Supreme Commander of NATO) that he is in contact with the commanders on the ground in Afghanistan, and that everything over there is going great!.....A-fricking-MAZING!

They are EVERYTHING that they label others, they are the opposite of what they label themselves (Fair and Balanced) Its really a funny joke that they play on the loyal viewer...they are lauging all the way to the bank. They have figured out that by making you happy with cooked statistics, calling skeptical people 'crazy', and keeping you afraid, you'll keep watching....I hate FOX news, but I hate the people who eat their lies and talking points and accept them as facts more.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Yeah whatever. The other networks are largely as bad on the other side.

As to the content of the article, politicians on all sides try to pump things up. All I can say is I'm not a knowledgeable investor, I just buy diversified funds and my funds' 5 year annual averages are :

6.85, 9.77, 26.16, 11.34, 21.71, 14.08, 9.88

That's an annual avearge of 14.3% in about the same period as the article was talking about. Well above inflation which has been 2-3% most of those years, I'm beating inflation by over 10% annually and I don't even know what I'm doing.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

my brother.....thats not true.

Its not just one show...or one anchor...its the ENTIRE Networks policy. From the way you just shrugged off the fact that you accept skewed facts, I believe there is no way you will ever see or hear the fact that you are being lied to and you think its okay.

I envy the blissfull world you see.
  5. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]

Bill O'Reilly gives us the real spin and the cons watch intently. Baaah
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

You see the rest of the network world just as blissfully ;) Regardless, the point Snow was making, even if overstated, is that there are good things right now in addition to bad - and I happen to agree with him.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

nah dude...the point is he grossly overstated how well the stock market has done percentage wise since Dubya cut taxes, then lied about how nobody was covering it. And Cavuto doesn't have the facts straight to call him on his BS.

THAT is the point.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Politicians on both sides do that and get away with it. The point was that things have gone well. I laugh at his numbers, in 5 years, before inflation, my stocks have gone up 195% (14.3% compounded annually over 5 years). I'm good with that.
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I think I am having a conversation with myself......so.....

Congrats on your investments!

In the immortal words of the GZA (Wu-tang Financial)
    "You need to diversify your bonds, ni##a!"
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

You aren't, I know what you're saying. But just like you think I'm too blind to see Fox's bias, I think you're too blind to see the biases of the other networks.

Yep, very well diversified. My larger point, though, is that while a few of mine have outperformed the market, they aren't that far off. The average Vanguard fund, from a quick look, seems to be around 8-9% annually over 5 years. Good money for the millions who have 401Ks. That's what Snow was saying.
  11. italia44

italia44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

are you behind the sheep?

Baaah
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -2

Where'd you went to school I never sawed you there?

I've always maintained that numbers can be easily manipulated to support a given point. The bottom line with numbers is that they are a concrete fixture by which the truth, or the manipulation can easily be revealed. So lets look at this manipulation.

Claim: Dow up 60% since 2003 Tax cut.
    Facts: Dow is at 12,000

[​IMG]

Here is a 4 year historical chart of the Dow. As we can see, the Dow was sub 8,000 in the year 2003. By the looks of the chart, and I cannot determine for certain, but the lowest point was near the end of the 1st Quarter 2003 (march?), at what looks to be roughly 7,600 or so. It seems that in May of 2003, when the Act was signed into law, the total was closer to 8,200. OK, so where does that bring us?

If Snow used the low point of 7,600 to help his point, then 7,600 x .6 = 4,560. If we then do 7,600 + 4,560 we get 12,160. So it seems that the Dow has gone up 60%, just that it is since early 2003.

Using the Tax Act date as a starting point, we get the following:

May 2003 -> 8,200
    8,200 x .60 = 4920
    8,200 + 4,920 = 13,120

13,120 certainly is not 12,000. According to my math, if May 2003 is to be used as a starting point, and 8,200 is the DJI figure, then the Dow has increased 47%, and not 60%.