PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are playing the Oilers this week, join the boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen them referred to as the tits, many times. Pronounced Tites.

In fact, years ago, a lot of people outside of New England called the Pats the Pates.

They use the term "Tacks" when referring to themselves, I don't know exactly how that came about but I can't give them too hard of a time since they ARE from Tennessee.

And PatsWickedPissah, thanks for getting the sense of humor. I've had to develop one while watching my joke of a team become the laughingstock of the NFL and the media that covers it. I have the utmost respect for the Patriots franchise and I can't believe that you folks are up in arms about a 9-4, soon to be 10-4 season, I can only hope that I can be upset that my team's in such a horrible predicament someday!

oilers moved...and you're tlaking about a whole different organization here...just happened to have the same city at one point

Kind of like the Browns ;-)

Houston Texans makes sense so I would think the Indianapolis Indianans would be a pretty nice name.

i liked a lot the Houston Oilers uniforms and the helmet

pity the name disappeared from the NFL imho

but the Texans are another team (as we know the 'old Oilers' are now the Titans)

Miami stole the Houston fight song

I hate Miami

Bouniconti the most

then that mutt Don Strock

I believe that the city of Boston is the only city in the United States that can lay claim to the fact that THREE current NFL teams, the Redskins, Colts and Patriots....all had their beginnings in the same city....

Cleveland also has three the Rams, Ravens and Browns.

Dallas Cowboys used to be called the Texans from 1960-1962. You would think Houston would have learned this mistake before reusing this name. Go New England Bostonians!!!!

No way! Boston New Englanders sounds WAY better!

All levity aside, that horse is out of the barn, for Christ's sake. If Houston wants to be the Texans, let Houston be the Texans. It's not like it matters much. I think it'll be a while before we say their name after December.

PFnV

Oh leave the Texans alone. Every league needs teams with silly names. San Deigo was named for credit cards. I think that takes the stupid name cake.

Oh leave the Texans alone. Every league needs teams with silly names. San Deigo was named for credit cards. I think that takes the stupid name cake.

Don't you think because of the lightning bolt symbol they were more likely named after reCHARGEable batteries?

I always liked the Houston fight song...

"we're the Houston Oiliers, Houston Oiulers"

And all those light blue pom poms waving backand forth as the song was played, and sung.

We need a fight song like that, and I have suggested it severaltimes, infact wrote one a long time ago.

I remember a song they had when I was kid that went,
Houuuuston Oilers
Houuuuston Oilers
Houuuuston Oilers Number 1

Dallas Cowboys used to be called the Texans from 1960-1962. You would think Houston would have learned this mistake before reusing this name. Go New England Bostonians!!!!

No that was the Kkansas City Chiefs before they moved to KC.

Before that though the Baltimore Colts, now Indainapolis Colts, played in Texas as thhe "Texans" for a year or two in the AAFC days...

The name Texans is steeped in history. One of the early AFL teams was called the Dallas Texans, IIRC.

The Oilers is a stupid name. Fortunately, the Titans dropped it. Can you imagine if names like the OILERS caught on? What would have been next? The Pennsylvania COALERS? The California NATURAL GASSERS? Vermont MARBLERS? Kentucky LIMESTONERS? Louisiana SALTERS? Montana COPPERERS?
I believe that was the founding franchise of the AFL, Lamar Hunt's team. He wasn't getting enough fan interest competing with the Cowboys of the NFL and so he moved his team to Kansas City and renamed them the Chiefs. For obvious reasons, I might add.

Actually, aren't the Titans really the Oilers?

I'm confused.

Oh why oh why can't the NFL just do what the NBA does, and have names that truly reflect their locales, like the Utah Jazz, so well known for their great music, and the LA Lakers, because of Lake Los Angeles, and the Toronto Raptors, because of all the dinosaurs in Canada, and the NY Knicks, because there's so many people who live and shave in NYC.

It would really make things a lot easier.

Kind of like the Browns ;-)

I seem to remember that the people of Cleveland or the city, someone anyway, sued Art Model (i think it was Art Model) that he can take the team but not the name. I don't remember all the particulars, but it was kinda nasty. Anyway, the city of Cleveland owns the name Browns, a team by the way named after one of the pioneers of pro football...Paul Brown.

It wouldn't be the New England Bostonions, it would be the New England Foxboro's. And why does Boston claim the Patriots as their own? Boston wouldn't let them or build a new stadium in Boston, thats why they moved to Foxboro, which is closer to Providence RI than Boston. In fact I seem to remember Mumbles Menino telling Kraft to take a hike when Kraft wanted to build in South Boston. Then Mumbles tries to suck up by hosting victory parades, and pretending he loves the Pats when in truth he doesn't know football from a hockey puck

It's better than what we would have to deal with if a few other places had the same problem:

The Bismarck "NorthDakodians"
The Juneau "Alaskans"
The New Mexico "NewMexicans"

"Texans" is an incredibly annoying and stupid name for a football team, I would hope that even Houston fans would agree with this. Could you imagine if the trend caught on? "The Carolina North Carolinians take on the Kansas City Missourians today; while the New York New Yorkers meet the Washington District of Columbians." It's idiocy.

Fortunately there is a perfectly good name for a Houston team to use until they come to their senses and choose a legitimate one, I therefore respectfully request that we all call them the Oilers for the time being.

:rocker:

As others have said, the Oilers franchise moved. They are the Titans now.

Also, the name, "TEXANS" was actually an original AFL team out of Dallas. The TITANS nickname was actually used for the NY Jets until 1963

Just an FYI - The Dallas Cowboys were always the Cowboys. The Kansas City Chiefs were originally the Dallas Texans. Lamar Hunt named them as such when his bid to own the Cowboys franchise was turned down by the NFL. They moved to KC in 1963.

http://profootballreference.com/teams/kanindex.htm

No, not so.

Those were the Dallas Texans of the AFL a and they moved and are now the Kansas City Chiefs.

The earlier Dallas Texans are now the Indianapolis Colts...and their history began in Boston.

They were the Boston (Yanks or Bulldogs, not sure) and they moved to New York and becamse the New York Yanks. Then they moved to Dallas and became the Dallas TEXANS, then on to Baltimor to be the Baltimore Colts and then towhere they now are, Indianapolis.

And there is yet a THIRD team currently in the NFL that had its beginning in Boston, besides the Patriots and the Colts...Do you know which one?

Just an FYI, NEM, while you are mostly correct on your Colts history, you aren't 100%.
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=history

I've paraphrased it here:

The Colts originally started as the MIAMI SEAHAWKS of the All American football Conference and then moved to Baltimore, taking the moniker "The Colts". They dis-solved in 1951 be were re-instated in 1953 when the league moved the former Dallas franchise there with the team keeping the colors (blue and white) while keeping the previous franchise name "The Colts."

Exactly...and the strange part of the move from Boston to Washington was that the year they moved they actually won their conference title, but the owner of the BOSTON REDSKINS, George Preston Marshall, was so pissed at the small attendance at home games , that he moved the team and played the championship game to the Polo Grounds in New York City. The Skins lost the game to the Green Bay Packers.

The following season the team moved to Washington and retained the name, Redskins.

I believe that the city of Boston is the only city in the United States that can lay claim to the fact that THREE current NFL teams, the Redskins, Colts and Patriots....all had their beginnings in the same city....

Except the Colts didn't start in Boston. Unless you are saying that the Colts site is wrong about their own team history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes