PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Are Now the Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
A few years ago when we couldn't beat the Colts, we decided that if we couldn't beat them, we would join them and change the team to a high powered team that thought offense first and defense second. We became a finesse team and rolled off a perfect regular season. The only problem is that since the Super Bowl when the Giants proved that smash mouth usually beats up finesse, we have morphed into the Colts and now can't win a playoff game. Beat downs by tough physical aggressive teams like the Giants, Ravens and Jets have made Brady look like Manning in the playoffs and have gotten us beaten up and knocked out of the tournament. We used to be the Jets and play tough physical aggressive defense with all the fancy schemes and used to control the ball and beat the crap out of finesse teams. Now we worry about scoring points and trying to win by scoring 30+ points. As we have found out by losing 3 straight playoff games, that is not the way for this team and we have won exactly 0 titles with this new approach. If we don't change, this is going to become a pattern and Brady's legacy with lose a little shine.

I wrote this in another post, but I have to disagree - the defense did their job yesterday. The Patriots didn't get into the endzone until :15 left in the 3rd quarter, and after the two point conversion it was 14-11. If they had been able to score on a couple of other drives the complexion of the game would have been different.

So I understand your comparison, but I wouldn't say they're the Colts at this point. It was just puzzling to see them struggle on the side of the football that I think it's safe to say most here didn't expect to be the problem.

Last edited:
I was thinking something similiar. We've been seduced by the all-pro secuctress(qb). Tom Brady has far exceeded what we ever expected out of him. And, I'm glad he is. We've tried to build our team around a passing attack with a great qb who because of his own great skill can mask our areas of weakness. It's also affected Belichick as a tactician IMO. I wouldn't trade him for any coach either. We laud him as a riverboat gambler now. Always go for it, take the chance. If we get it great. If not, that great qb can make up for it. We didn't always go for it before Tom became a great player. We used to punt and play defense. Me thinks a certain gm/coach needs to look in the mirror a little.

Hard to disagree after yesterday's performance.

I'll tell you right now where I'd go with the first 4 picks if I was Belichick: defense, defense, defense, and then defense. Defense wins championships. Not flashy, soft, timing offenses that can be punched in the mouth and *****-slapped by tougher defenses. The Patriots used to be the team doing the mouth punching and *****-slapping with Ty Law, Willie, Teddy, Rodney, Vrabel, Seymour...they need to get back to that. Screw being #1 in offense and making the highlight reels on ESPN every night.

The comparision is that the high powered offenses generally get shut down by good defenses during the playoffs. Happens all the time to the Colts. They come into the playoffs all bright and shiny like a new penny and everybody's darlings because of all the points they score. Someobdy then goes into Indy and knocks them around and makes Peyton look like a deer in the headlights and they get upset and knocked out. Happens darn near every year because they are too reliant on their finesse and their offense. Exactly what has happened to Brady and the Pats in the last 3 playoff games.

the Jets brought a scheme the patriots had not seen before, the defense certainly didnt lose the game, they were ready for a heavy passing game from sanchez so the jets could get back into it, instead they were able to play a balanced game and the patriots couldn't stop it well enough, so did the defense lose the game? no, but they are ranked 25th for a reason. because they arent very good, just opportunistic.

Thank God we arent the Colts though, that team has more holes than a pound of swiss cheese, These problems can be fixed and we have a huge draft coming up and a great core, so while today is dark, the future is bright.

the Jets brought a scheme the patriots had not seen before, the defense certainly didnt lose the game, they were ready for a heavy passing game from sanchez so the jets could get back into it, instead they were able to play a balanced game and the patriots couldn't stop it well enough, so did the defense lose the game? no, but they are ranked 25th for a reason. because they arent very good, just opportunistic.

Thank God we arent the Colts though, that team has more holes than a pound of swiss cheese, These problems can be fixed and we have a huge draft coming up and a great core, so while today is dark, the future is bright.

IF we get away from the pretty boy style and start playing hard nosed in your face tough defense like the Jets, Steelers and Ravens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back