PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are all hypocrites

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hilarious to see. We all indulge in the fact that TFB is our QB and then I see some posts saying that the loss is all his fault? If you hadn't noticed, Russell Wilson is a rookie. One who threw three easy TDs against our HORRENDOUS secondary. And SOMEBODY HAS TO CALL HOLDING! There's no way Jones wasn't held on the last Wilson TD. In fact, he got held by two different guys. I counted dozens others where they just flat out sent him to the ground.

I'm not going to spend much time whining about our loss like some others. And I know I'm going to get flamed for this. But I have to say it. We overreact just like other fanbases when their team loses a game. It's human nature. But try to think before you post. Sure, we're a 3-3 team. But we've lost in three games by a margin of four total points. FOUR. This is still a great football team, with a few large holes in it. No team's perfect. Everyone should stop overreacting to this.

And I'm not going to be all high and mighty and say that I don't do the same thing. The first reaction I had was to go and cut Brady. Three easy points given away... Maybe even six. All I'm saying is that everyone should calm down with all the negative thoughts. Because come next Sunday, when we thrash the Jests at home, things will go back to normal... Where we're kings of the AFC, as we should be.

Tom Brady made some non typical very poor decisions that cost the team points and the "secondary" was typically horrid and gave up a bashmillion points, both can be true.

Nicely reasoned post. I'll add a few more points from what I hope is a less-myopic perspective than most of what this thread comprises:

* Brady passed the ball 58 times, most in his career to date. This had more to do with what the league's top-rated defense was allowing vs. abandoning the run altogether. When the Pats did run, it simply didn't work well. And keep in mind that Bolden -- who had the best potential against Seattle's very physical defense -- left injured. Brady still performed well on a sloppy track; the two picks were bad but almost expected when you air it out 58 times. Remember: he STILL led the team to 23 points and well over 400 yards against the league's No. 1 defense.

* The intentional grounding at the end of the first half was a brain fart by Brady, especially with Gronk open in the right corner. But this might not all be on Tom, who was seen talking to Branch immediately after the play. It could be that Deon blew an end-line route. I support the call with 6 seconds left: On the road in bad weather it was worth the risk to practically put Seattle away in the first half.

* The injury absences on defense are pretty significant. Hightower and Gregory could've been difference makers yesterday (especially Gregory).

* I blame this loss more on pass defense than points the offense left on the field. Having rookies Dennard, Wilson and Ebner out there at the same time on the road, in the rain, under pressure situations just is not a good mix. Yes, the scheme/coaching might seem suspect and hopefully something can be adjusted there. But despite Seattle playing a rookie QB, he had solid protection and very good receivers to throw to, so the final outcome was understandable if disappointing.

* I think our fortunes going forward depend on health in the secondary. Remember how last year BB was able to hold it together well enough with duct tape and baling wire to win 13 games. Even with a similar situation this season, the defense STILL is improved.

* The Pats have lost two non-conference games and still have the inside track to winning the division. At this stage of the season, that's all that matters. With 10 games to go there's plenty of time and opportunity to fix the pass defense for a playoff run.
That's been an Achilles Heel for the Patriots. The eye test tends to indicate an easy dismissal of the run game when they should be running it. It's not like Woodhead wasn't dominating yesterday was it?

The Patriots coaching is far too cute for my liking in these close losses. It's almost as if they lose the feel for the game.

Last edited:
i've never had the urge to cut Brady. That's just silly. The problems on offense I believe are correctable. We need to be more dynamic and less predictable when we get to the 4th quarter. This team can't afford to let their foot off the gas pedal, because of the way the secondary completely breaks down when it faces pressure situations. There's just no other way to explain the HUGE plays Wilson of all QBs made all those big plays at the end of the game. They made him look like Peyton HOF Manning, when in reality Russell Wilson struggles to make 1st string on most teams.

Last edited:
Blame isn't an all-or-nothing thing. There's a lot of blame to go around for yesterday's game.

Blame Brady for the red zone interception and the intentional grounding penalties. Blame the pass defense for surrendering two touchdown drives late in the 4th quarter against a rookie QB on one of the worst offenses in the league, and failing to create any turnovers. Blame the coaching for the moronic clock management at the end of the first half and wasting all of the timeouts before the game-ending drive. It's all warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes