PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are 9-5 and headed to the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, we failed to clinch with THREE games to go. How many other teams have clinched? How unusual is it for us to lose in Miami? Let's get some perspective. As of now, we will have at least one home playoff game.

We have similar issues to those of weeks ago: injuries and the offense not being in sych.

DEFENSE
The defense has been playing very well, especially given the injuries. Booker made some great catches, but our defense gave our offense the ball plenty of times. We should add Harrison for the playoffs. Yes, we need Wilfork back. And yes, we need a backup NT. And yes, Traylor looks like a fine NT. Our defensive schemes are continuing to be successful, even with extensive injuries.

OFFENSE
We have ineffective receivers, we can't protect Brady, and we don't use the run enough. Other than that, we're fine. Seriously, the offensive has been playing poorly. And the play-calling doesn't help. How many of you felt that we were being lessons by JAX with regard to how to beat the colts? We refuse to use Graham as a blocker on a regular basis. So, of course, Light looks terrible. The fact is that he NEEDS (and always has needed) help against speed rushers. And, the answer is NOT giving Brady more control. He has more than enough. What is needed is execution of solid game plans, the key to success on offense (as it is on defense).

Early in the season, we thought we had the best OL since Hannah played, and the best running game since then also. We also had one of the best corps of TE's. We had the best QB.

We believed that the only hole was at wide receiver. We all said that what Brady and the receivers needed was time. Well, we have three more weeks until the playoffs, and we are blaming everyone for the offensive failures.

Personally, I still believe that problem is at WR. IMHO, we would have won at least a couple of more games with better receivers. Of course, we have been told that our receivers are the best ever. ?????? And, no we don't use the offensive talent very well. Sure they should catch more passes, and fumble less. But some improvement is possible by having offensive schemes that better us the talent we have, as we do on defense.
--------------------------------------------------

BOTTOM LINE
We are what we are, a 9-4 team. We are a playoff team, and we have the potential to improve between now and the playoffs. And next year, we need to figure out how to start the season with more talent at wide receiver.

We are 9-4:eek: or are you assuming that we lose to Houston this week?

Who said we have the best receivers? They need to have their head examined.

I think we could survive at WR if we didn't insist on this irrational benching/underuse of Gabriel. Caldwell/Gabriel is a marginal starting duo, but it's clear that Caldwell/Brown is simply not cutting it. Brown is not the player he once was, and lacks the speed to beat man coverage (hell, he can't even get separation from Zach Thomas). I hope that Jackson's injury isn't that severe, because we need him back for the playoffs.

I've also been somewhat underwhelmed by Ben Watson. I expected more from a supposedly "elite" TE. He's shown flashes, but simply is not consistent enough yet.

I said it first...:p :rolleyes:

That is so awesome. A dedicated Pats fan goes on a huge rant and blows everyone away with a post, but can't even get the record correct. Now that is credibility.

As long as Wilfork, Watson and Maroney get back (and there's no other MAJOR injuries) we should be fine and competitive in the playoffs. I'm not saying we'll win it all, or even win one playoff game, but we'll play every game with a legit chance to win. The two things that are KILLING us are self inflicted, penalties and turnovers.

We're tied for 11th/12th in points scored and we're 3rd in points allowed per game. That's a team with a chance.

Here is interesting factoid Brady is 7 & 5 against Miami, and 70 & 20 against the rest of the NFL... guess Miami is in his head...

We are 9-4:eek: or are you assuming that we lose to Houston this week?

You know I saw the 9-5 and thought "hmmm I thought we were 9-4", Nah 9-5 sounds right.

It's hard to believe we look that bad and are 9-4.

You know all this angst doesn't matter if we can whip it into shape for the playoffs.

We had a lot of heart last year, but were injured as hell.

We definitely have more depth on O this year so don't rule us out.

I'd take this team over Pittsburgh last year, of course assuming we raise to the occasion.

I'd add Harrison to the injury list that hopefully will return. As you say, we are #3 in points allowed. We are also high in red zone defense (opportunities allowed, and TD's scored). With either Harrison and Wilfork back, we are one of the very top defenses in the NFL.

Our offense is a puzzle that needs a lot of work and analysis. We need to better utilize the players we have.

As long as Wilfork, Watson and Maroney get back (and there's no other MAJOR injuries) we should be fine and competitive in the playoffs. I'm not saying we'll win it all, or even win one playoff game, but we'll play every game with a legit chance to win. The two things that are KILLING us are self inflicted, penalties and turnovers.

We're tied for 11th/12th in points scored and we're 3rd in points allowed per game. That's a team with a chance.

I'd add Harrison to the injury list that hopefully will return. As you say, we are #3 in points allowed. We are also high in red zone defense (opportunities allowed, and TD's scored). With either Harrison and Wilfork back, we are one of the very top defenses in the NFL.

Our offense is a puzzle that needs a lot of work and analysis. We need to better utilize the players we have.

With Big Vince and Rodney back (and he will be back next week -Speculation on my part but I feel it!) we will be fine on D.

Healthy Maroney and Watson and on the offense and that will be better. If the OL shave their beards they will be much better.
We do have the best OC in the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey