PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We are #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The team I saw out there was the best team in the league. There are some improvements to be made, as there is for all teams. I don't expect us to be rated #1. I wouldn't even vote us #1. Indy is still undefeated. We will have that matchup soon enough.

The rest of division is at least two game worse than we are.

I don't think that there are any unanswered questions regarding the rest of the division. They're going nowhere. It seems unlikely that any will end the season over .500.

Last edited:
mgteich said:
The team I saw out there was the best team in the league. There are some improvements to be made, as there is for all teams.

I don't think that there are any unanswered questions regarding the rest of the division. They're going nowhere. It seems unlikely that any will end the season over .500.

I see the Jets at .500. They have a good chance at winning against Miami, Detroit, @Cleveland, Houston, @Green Bay, and Oakland. If they sweep Miami (and just about anybody can at this point), then they're looking at at least 8-8, maybe even 9-7.

There are real concerns with this team on Defense. To put the Pats at #1 is premature. If they beat Indy to go 6-1, #1 is reasonable. Until then my personal #1 is Chicago.

Pats are no 1? Stupid fan reaction.

mgteich said:
The team I saw out there was the best team in the league. There are some improvements to be made, as there is for all teams. I don't expect us to be rated #1. I wouldn't even vote us #1. Indy is still undefeated. We will have that matchup soon enough.

* Just like the season wasn't over after the Denver game, one great game against the Bengals doesn't make the Patriots #1 either, IMO. There's a long ways to go. Some other teams that haven't looked great yet can get better too. I don't get too low after losses or too high after wins. If it was known what was going to happen from here on out there'd be no sense watching the games -:)

PonyExpress said:
There are real concerns with this team on Defense. To put the Pats at #1 is premature. If they beat Indy to go 6-1, #1 is reasonable. Until then my personal #1 is Chicago.

An NFC team?

Yeesh.

JackBauer said:
An NFC team?

Yeesh.

Indy has looked like crap half the time, they're extremely lucky that they're not 2-2. They were flat out outplayed in their last two games. With the way the Bears are picking Seattle apart tonight, it's not so much of a stretch to rank them atop the league right now.

Don't be biased. They have a top notch, ballhawking secondary. They have excellent Lbers. They have a playmaking front 4. Their special teams are solid, even explosive. The offensive line is tried and true. They believe in running the ball and have two quality backs. The Qb is an emerging star with a cannon. The receivers are mediocre, but the team is as well rounded as any team in the NFL. Also, the players respond to coaching. I think BB has been giving his buddy Jerry Angelo too much off-season advice.;)

mgteich said:

I am not so sure about the rest of division as you are. If the Jets can stop the run, they will be trouble. Buff looks like they can make a fight of any game. As far as we go? I don't think we are #1 (and I know you weren't saying we absolutely are #1). Denver ran on us too much. I thought Cincy had too many good runs. We give up a lot of completions. Our passing game still is a bit shaky. Our FG unit has a big question mark on it. Too many open items to be #1. That said, I totally expect the run defense to improve and be tough by mid season. I expect the passing game to at least make strides by mid season. I'll accept the completions on our secondary as long as, like today, they do NOT give up the big play. The FG unit? I have no idea where that will be come November.

mgteich said:

the pats looked good today... best in the league? some of your comments today dont even make sense.... i hope you've been drinking a lot; you usually make sense.

Last edited:
Is this the same mg? :confused:

The aliens have landed (the 'ahem' probe must have rewired his brain...).

PonyExpress said:
Don't be biased. They have a top notch, ballhawking secondary. They have excellent Lbers. They have a playmaking front 4. Their special teams are solid, even explosive. The offensive line is tried and true. They believe in running the ball and have two quality backs. The Qb is an emerging star with a cannon. The receivers are mediocre, but the team is as well rounded as any team in the NFL. Also, the players respond to coaching. I think BB has been giving his buddy Jerry Angelo too much off-season advice.;)

Running game does not scare me at all.

They certainly aren't the best in the league right now, but I've seen enough good Belichick teams the last few years to think they have a good chance of being the best when it matters.

They always tighten up as the year goes on, and they tighten up the very things they are having trouble with now. When they get Gabriel integrated into the offense ...

They need to get better against the run, and one good game doesn't mean their secondary is right ... but everything's going pretty well, as far as I'm concerned.

Nice to see Indy have to struggle to beat the Jets.

We beat Cincy, who beat Pittsburgh, so that bodes well (even though the transitive property of inequality doesn't hold in the NFL)

Right now Indy and Denver are the two teams with a good claim to be ranked ahead of us in the AFC. In the NFC, it's all Chicago. Tonight they easily looked Super Bowl caliber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes