Welcome to PatsFans.com

WC Germany-Soccer: 8th finals ? best game ?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by italian pat patriot, Jun 24, 2006.

1. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

imho Germany-Sweden and Spain-France

if i'm not wrong today there will be DE-SE and Argentina - Mexico

i feel the same tension as per an NFL pre-season game in august...
    but it is june and so...
  2. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

I'm excited too.

I think that all the games are very interesting. In the group rounds a lot of teams (exception: Argentina) didn't show their full strength, and some groups were a lot easier than others. Now the really tough stuff starts.

I'd be really surprised if Germany didn't beat Sweden and if Argentina didn't beat Mexico, but I think that Portugal-Holland will be a good, close game. And Brazil-Ghana should also be a good game (even though I think the looseness of the Ghanaians in midfield favours Brazil). Italy and England will start clearly as favourites but I wouldn't take either Australia or Ecuador for granted.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2005
  3. italian pat patriot

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

difficult to disagree Mike the Brit.
    yes: there could be, as usual in the sports, surprises and i do not exclude one will happen...wich one ? difficult to say and i am not able at all to predict (i.e) a game like PT-NL...

also for IT and UK: not easy as 'on paper'...but they should W

today anyway two good games (i will see the 2nd half of DE-SE because i have to bring my son to swimming pool course...)
  4. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Wow!

but I didn't think that Germany would be leading 2-0 after half an hour. And the score doesn't flatter them. The Swedes have hardly had the ball. Germany look -- I can only say -- "pumped and jacked". Absolutely awesome performance.

If things go to plan, they meet Argentina in the next round. The two best teams in the competition so far ...
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Germany correctly guessed the way Sweeden would come out... agressive attack mode. They caught the defenders napping with loose marking and the rest is history. Very surprised a team would come out like that. Professionals know better than this...always feel the other team out first unless you are 100% certain you can overwhelm them early.
  6. ScotBhoy

ScotBhoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Germans look good. With home advantage they will be hard to beat. Looking forward to tonights game between everyones favourites, Argentina and Mexico. I have the beer chilling at the moment. Should be a good one. Anyone give the Mexicans a chance? Personally, I think the Argies will hump them.
  7. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

You won't get an argument from me. Fast, skilful, great depth and very nasty (even in the Holland game their central defenders were pulling and tugging away at every corner kick ...)
  8. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Mexico are OK, but the only way that they can really beat Argentina is if the Argies are complacent. Otherwise, it should be, say, 2-0 or 2-1.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2005
  9. italian pat patriot

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

the game finished 2-1 (compliments).

Mexico playied very well and Argentina had enormous problems to win it.

If Argentina will play in this way they will have zero possibilities against DE.

Tomorrow England is favourite but the other game (PT-NL) it looks a real 50-50...
  10. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It was a good game and Mexico were better than I thought they would be. I think they ran out of energy at the end. That goal by Rodriguez was stunning.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  11. italian pat patriot

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

true - a very beautiful goal.

i agree: the Mexicans at the end they were tired as they spent a lot of energy in the normal 90 minutes.

first day of 8th finals: no surprises.

Germany and Argentina @ 4th finals
  12. ScotBhoy

ScotBhoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I take my sombrero off to the Mexicans. Went for the jugular right from the start. After 65min, they were done. Fantastic game, fantastic atmosphere, 2 fantastic teams and Maxi Rodrigeuz's goal, simply sublime. Game of the tournament so far.
    On a different note. WW3 seems to have started in Stuttgart tonight. Will the English fans never learn.
  13. italian pat patriot

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

At a certain point Portugal-Holland, finally..., was imo a very good game but then it became very nervous - anyway, globally, it was nice to see.

So for the moment in the 4th finals:
    Germany-Argentina
    England-Portugal
    (and England has to play better then today if they won beat the Portugueses)
  14. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I missed the two games today, but someone really has to look at the referee's performance. He seems to have lost control of the game.
  15. italian pat patriot

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Nl-Pt was a good game, Gomezcat.
    England won, as you surely knows, but it was not, honestly, a game to remember.
    Uk has to play much much more better in order to beat Pt.

I agree with you the referees are terrible (you should have seen Holland-Portugal; the russian referee lost the controll of the game and made many mistakes).

I do not like soccer but i promised myself to follows after the 8th finals and i'm trying to do it.
  16. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

You're right that England have to play better -- much better. What was alarming to me was that they didn't do the simplest things: pick up their players when you don't have the ball, support the man with the ball when you do. Lampard (particularly), Gerrard and Beckham (less so) were the main culprits. I fear that they've bought into the hype and think only about what they have to do going forward. And the manager doesn't seem inclined to reprimand them. I can promise you if they had Rehhagel or Martin O'Neill or Gus Hiddink or Leo Beenhakker they would be telling them -- £100,000 a week or £100 a week, you've got to concentrate and do your job on the field.

I've got to disagree about the Holland-Portugal game. I didn't see the first 40 minutes, but, by the time I got there, it was showing everything that is bad about professional soccer in some countries. Cynical fouls, terrible diving, pantomiming to the referee for free kicks and bookings. The Dutch were bad but the Portuguese were worse. Sure, the referee was terrible and lost control, but there wasn't much he could do by that stage. I mean, he sent three guys off. How else are you supposed to establish discipline?

I have a friend who's travelled with England a lot over the years but couldn't go to this year's World Cup. He was telling me in advance of this year that things with the England fans had got a lot better -- that Portugal (Euro 2004) was pretty free of bad incidents. He thinks that the banning orders have really worked. If so, I think it's an indictment of English football for not doing that more vigorously earlier. Still, it sounds to me that the bad guys are in a small minority this time. I think saying that the English fans will never learn and that they're starting WWIII is like making generalizations about the Scots because some *ss-hole beats up a kid for wearing an England shirt.
  17. ScotBhoy

ScotBhoy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Mike, I accept that it is a minority of the fans who are actually out to cause trouble. I think there were 3,000 banning orders handed out, I think doubling that for the next competition in Austria/Switzerland wouldn't be wide of the mark. With 60,000 English fans in Stuttgart that day for the game, and with Germany playing also, there were always going to be confrontations. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. I thought the German police handled it quite well.
    As for the young English fan and his father assaulted for wearing England tops in Scotland, I can only offer my sincere apologies. No excuses. I hope they catch those responsible and jail them. In England!
  18. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

Mmm ... you're preaching to the choir when it comes to soccer fans and bad behaviour. That's why I stopped going to watch football, more than 25 years ago now.

Last night, I had my bike chained to the railings outside my house and I heard drunken voices and banging around. I went down to see what was happening and there were a couple of guys kicking and yanking at it. Fortunately (they were young and pretty big) they ran off. But the bike has more than £200 of damage to it -- not worth repairing. Yes, that's the way to celebrate a famous victory -- all one big party!

Trouble is, it should be a big party. We should learn to enjoy the flamboyance and the rivalry. And, from what I can see (and hear -- my wife and daughter are in Germany) that's the way it seems to be. There was an amazing clip on the TV of some guy in Duesseldorf or Bielefeld who has turned his garden into a free camp-site for fans from all over and was feeding them too. Just magic!

I guess I hope that going over and having good experiences like that will help to educate my fellow-countrymen that sports is about having fun, that you can drink without being an animal, and that you can compete and be friends too. Anyway, events in Stuttgart apart, there are some hopeful signs.

What are your views about Martin O'Neill, by the way?
  19. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

NEM, mate, how can you back a team that doesn't use crossing patterns, five receiver sets and plays 4-3 (3) rather than 3-4? :D
    There's more to come from Brazil but Argentina still look like the best team.
  20. italian pat patriot

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Italy 1 - Australia 0

and thks to Totti penalty we won and we will play next friday the 4th finals against or Ch or Ukr; it was surely not easy but we playied half game in 10.

another so and so game

i hope we will see later on better games...

Del Piero ? did he playied ? good game from Cannavaro, Zambrotta imo.

Materazzi ? probably he should have earned a yellow and not a red but he is very famous...