PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WBCN axes rock format - going to all sports (on 98.5 as WBZ-FM) to compete with WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WBCN axes rock format - going to all sports (on 98.5 as WBZ-FM) to compete with W

Felger morphed into an unhappy prick the day Holley's book came out. That was right after the 2003 season ended and we won XXXVIII. He has never gotten over that. While he was dutifully penning Tales From the Sidelines or whatever it was that never sold, Holley landed a bestseller that landed him the prime gig as Dale's sidekick on the #1 rated sports station in the country...

That was when Felger perceived the handwriting on the wall. He needed to get into a new line of work before his old line closed down under him. So he began appearing on WEEI not as a football guest analyst but as a fill in and weekend co host. Until the weekend when while co hosting with Pete he went off on Pedro (who as it turnes out was missing a start against the Yankees because he'd been hospitalized all day) and the Sox that got him temporarily placed in time out. But it was worth it because that noteriety alone landed him a gig on FSNE and eventually the ESPN radio gig. Which he began blowing even at the outset because in attempting to become a multi-mediot to rival Big O he was spread so thin he lost contact with the team. He had no time to be at Gillette so he relied on Herald eyes and ears or ESPN's or his contrarian buddies at PFW or just created his own uninformed insight off the cuff. Couldn't even finish his own radio show most days because he was racing to the FSNE studio. He left his frat boys to cover that last hour.

He also began alienating players by baiting them into saying things he could twist on air. Got the punter in enough trouble he stopped showing up. When Kraft did the deal with ESPN to allow for Patriots Friday, BB countered by sending Felger the kind of guys who couldn't be baited. Towards the end they nearly came to blows. Nobody trusts him nowadays because they can smell his desperation to succeed. They don't begrudge him, but they aren't gonna let him screw them in his quest. In 2002-2003 he and Brady were friendly enough to share rides. After he repeated something Brady told him off the record on WEEI (where he was increasingly feeling the pressure to prove he knew things to seperate himself from their other mediocre talents) Brady stopped talking to him too. Ditto BB who back in the day treated him as he does Reiss these days. Bill is always willing to talk football with those who are genuinely interested and aren't looking to stab him in the back to get ahead. Which is also why Holley remains an insider. Holley is able to convince people he knows things without violating trusts. Felger lacks that self confidence.

Sports radio is never going to be all about football. If you believe that is what WBZ has in store for you just because Felger is coming aboard then you apparently missed much of his former and present gigs. Felger will talk whatever sells, including smack. He's not in this to be perceived as intelligent or worthwhile, he's in it to get ahead any way he can. He lacks Holley's temperment and polish and timing, so he resorts to frat boy humor and smash mouth analysis to cover for his shortcomings and fill airtime. If I thought he had the capacity to take a step back and work on his new craft I'd welcome a more well developed version of the 2001 Felger to radio. But he has shown no such inclination. If anything nowadays when reigned in, say by pairing him with Holley, he projects as dour and constrained. When left to his own devices he reverts to juvennile or hypercritical form.

Lately WEEI has made a move away from all but a handful of the better known mediots. Guys like LJ or Burt barely get any airtime. Guys like Dauber and Lou were brought aboard to talk baseball and they've reduced the number of Buckley stolls down your grandfather's memory lane or McAdam monotones fans have to endure. Merloni in particular, can more than hold there own talking football. Max is both hillarious and insightful on Celtics talk. The new entity should take that page out of WEEI's playbook. Even DeOssie, if seperated from Fred and steered clear of politics, could be a very legit, insightful and well connected football oriented co host. The day of the reporter turned insightful analyst is waning. The new generation of players in all sports is ripe to be mined. It's a little early for the Patriots since former players of value are still either employed or lack the necessary polish or temperement. Tedy would be a hoot. Troy would still need a strong supporting cast. Zolak has his moments but it's like he's been overcoached to be an entertainer. Burton and Roach are gonna struggle with All Access because they're conditioned to either anchor or break news. And for all his pedigree, Burton is a far better anchor than analyst.

Sports talk radio can be funny and insightful. Sometimes WEEI is. Nothing is ever going to be perfect. WBZ doesn't sound like they're positioning themselves to remotely raise the bar. It can be done, just not with the kind of tight assed and equaly annoying attitude McDonough's egocentric son brought to the mix. Remy saved his ass on Sox broadcasts. Absent that he was borderline insufferable on 1510. The bar can also be lowered, and that is what Felger ultimately did the last time someone gave him the keys to a radio studio.

In the present economy, given the dearth of advertising dollars, I just don't see another sports radio station as being a sound long term investment, let alone when you're stocking it with a bunch of failed retreads.

First, Holley didn't become a host on WEEI until 2005 and I think Felger had already left to ESPN890 which he also started in 2005.

Second, Felger got Mike Vrabel and Matt Light on his show. Those are two good gets because they have good personas and aren't afraid to speak their minds. Belichick wanted to sink Felger so bad that he wrote the epiloge to his book. It was his way to say FU by allowing Felger to market his book with Belichick's name on the cover.

Third, Holley's book was about following around the Patriots for a season and primarily focused on the Belichick years especially the 2001 season. Felger's book was on the history of the Patriots which was very different than Holley's book and wouldn't attract as big of an audience since the Pre-Parcells era fan base is significantly smaller than the Belichick era fan base.

Fourth, anyone who listened to Felger's 890 show from the beginning will tell you it was excellent the first year or so and slowly declined as he let Borges influence him. Even BSMW has said that in this article.

Fifth, I don't expect WBZ to talk all football, but Felger and Tanguay unlike most of WEEI don't think the Patriots' season starts after the Red Sox get eliminated from or in the playoffs or if Red Sox win the World Series, some time in November. WEEI is too Red Sox focused and ignore every other sport quite a bit even the Patriots. I still think it was a travesty that in 2003 when the Patriots were mounting an incredible run all WEEI talked about was the trade for A-Rod that never happened. Eventhough that story dragged on for months, they never found time for the Pats. Or how about Draft weekend in 2003 where the Pats had two first round picks and the Sunday Baseball show refused to take any Patriots calls (although the Sunday Football show frequently gets highjacked for baseball talk). It isn't as bad now, but it isn't much better. Obviously, the Red Sox are huge in this town so there will always be at least 40-50% Red Sox talk on any station (with the Pats getting about 30-40% and the Celts and Bruins and misc sports and other stuff getting the rest, but WEEI makes it upwards to 60-70%. Granted if Toucher and Rich are doing guy radio, WBZ will have even less for each sport.

Sixth, there may be some former players who could grow into their own hosting gig, but most hosts have to pay their dues as regular guests and fill in hosts before they get enough radio experience to host their own show. See Scott Zolak. Hosting a radio show is far more challenging than just taking calls and shooting the s*&t about sports. That is something you gotta learn.

Seven, I don't think WBZ raised the bar or signficantly lowered the bar. I don't for the market this size there are many good sports radio hosts in this town. There aren't enough for daytime WEEI, what would make you think there would be enough for WBZ. If I was going to tear WEEI down and start over, the only two permanent radio personalities I would keep are Ordway and Holley (well, not true I would keep D&C only because they get big ratings, not that I think they are any good). There would be a lot of rotational guests I would keep, but I would mix up the football and baseball guys more during the season.

Re: WBCN axes rock format - going to all sports (on 98.5 as WBZ-FM) to compete with W

A decent piece on the Boston sports radio market, why other stations failed, why this one could succeed, as well as what might be expected from the new radio station.

Boston Radio Watch: The Sports Hub starts Boston radio war

CBS has already been producing lots of local sports content with Patriots on WBCN and Bruins on WBZ-AM since mid 1990's so bringing two teams onto one signal is a no-brainer. A no-brainer number two, with a clear and crisp FM signal covering the entire Boston market and beyond, the new SportsHub has a potential to reach a lot more ears than any current and/or former WEEI challengers on the AM dial. This one goes under the "marketing/promotional goal" column, but CBS will surely use the local synergy with sister TV station and CBS-affil WBZ/Channel 4. The new SportsHub will be able to tap into WBZ-TV's sports department for any live updates on major breaking or developing local sports stories. CBS can also cross-promote its new sports talker among its other three FM stations and one AM station. On the national level, CBS Radio is heavily invested in sports content. Ths SportsHub will have full access to company's national resources including access to sports media outposts in NYC, LA and everywhere else.

continue reading ...

The Globe had a story today too. They pretty much blasted WEEI for havinaving "the reliance of 'celebrity' callers or the dependence on sycophantic sidekicks who don’t dare to call the host on mistakes". I really can't disagree when Dakota from Braintree, Frank from Gloucester, and Steve from Fall River are all given plenty of air time when they call in only to to say moronic things so Ordway or whoever else can ridicule them. They add nothing to the show other than riling the homers.

In fairness though, the Globe does have an interest in WBZ succeeding since they have boycotted WEEI which is disclosed in the article.

‘Sports Hub’ dialing up a challenge for WEEI - The Boston Globe

The Globe does have some valid points but as you pointed out, they are not exactly an impartial observer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Globe went out of its way to make their reporters and columnists available to WBZ-FM, considering the Globe and WEEI never did settle their differences.

Here's a bit of Boston area sports media trivia: who was the member of the Boston media that sparked the feud between the Globe and WEEI? Extra credit if you can remember what the subject was or what he said.

The Globe had a story today too. They pretty much blasted WEEI for havinaving "the reliance of 'celebrity' callers or the dependence on sycophantic sidekicks who don’t dare to call the host on mistakes". I really can't disagree when Dakota from Braintree, Frank from Gloucester, and Steve from Fall River are all given plenty of air time when they call in only to to say moronic things so Ordway or whoever else can ridicule them. They add nothing to the show other than riling the homers.

In fairness though, the Globe does have an interest in WBZ succeeding since they have boycotted WEEI which is disclosed in the article.

‘Sports Hub’ dialing up a challenge for WEEI - The Boston Globe

Chad Finn, who wrote the Globe piece, has blasted WEEI numerous times. I am not sure what his overall problem with them is.

The one thing I keep reading is how D&C don't talk enough sports in the morning. Toucher and Rich likely won't either. They will have their "drunken recaps" (which can be hillarious) and some sports related guests but it won't be all sports all the time as much as we'd like it to be.

The one thing I keep reading is how D&C don't talk enough sports in the morning. Toucher and Rich likely won't either. They will have their "drunken recaps" (which can be hillarious) and some sports related guests but it won't be all sports all the time as much as we'd like it to be.

Frankly, it's easy to OD on sports. This especially true when discussing "sports" such as baseball. Having T&R on in the mornings will be a nice break in the monotony of most sports radio. It would be nice if they could get some good, hardcore analysis going on after them, as the cursory info garbage on EEI is atrocious.

The Globe does have some valid points but as you pointed out, they are not exactly an impartial observer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Globe went out of its way to make their reporters and columnists available to WBZ-FM, considering the Globe and WEEI never did settle their differences.

Here's a bit of Boston area sports media trivia: who was the member of the Boston media that sparked the feud between the Globe and WEEI? Extra credit if you can remember what the subject was or what he said.

Ron Borges on the Big Show talking about Hideki Irabu calling him a "fat Jap" getting his colleagues booted from the show

It wasn't a full ban until Dennis and Callahan who went out of their way to mock and demean the Globe for the action getting their show banned as well forcing EEI to bar all of the Globe from all of their shows in retaliation.

Lots of insights here on the soap opera that is the Boston Sports media market.

I'd just say that there's two things at play here... WBZ doesn't need to beat WEEI - they just need to get better ratings than they have now... in particular, they need good enough ratiings to make a profit as a station.

Whether they succeed or fail could depend on the amount of access they have with key sports figures and coaches from the Patriots, Celtics, Sox and to a lesser extent the Bruins. Those organizations themselves hold the key to whether WBZ will have enough interesting programming to fill the air.

Talking about sports is not enough - listeners want to hear Brady, Belichick et al.

Last edited:

Ron Borges on the Big Show talking about Hideki Irabu calling him a "fat Jap" getting his colleagues booted from the show

It wasn't a full ban until Dennis and Callahan who went out of their way to mock and demean the Globe for the action getting their show banned as well forcing EEI to bar all of the Globe from all of their shows in retaliation.

Congratulations, we have a winner!

Yes, this is a little known and forgotten part of the Ron Borges legacy. Granted, both WEEI and the Globe acted like jealous school girls afterwards, but it was Borges' comments that put the wheels in motion. It should also be pointed out that the Big Show tends to make it appear as if the Globe was the one that forbid Globe employees from appearing on EEI. Actually 'EEI said Globe employees could not appear on the Big Show, but not the rest of the shows. D&C's comments resulted in the Globe banning them from appearing on their show as well. 'EEI turned around and said Globe employees were banned from their station.

So technically, it is WEEI that is banning Globe employees from their radio broadcasts and not the other way around.​

As far as the second part of the trivia question, it was the result of a conversation about Yankees' owner George Steinbrenner's comments about former Yankee pitcher Hideki Arabu, when he called him a fat toad. Borges was grasping for the exact quote and got it wrong. In retrospect it appears to be a huge over reaction by both sides; I wonder if they even realize why they're mad at each other at this point.​

Last edited:

First, Holley didn't become a host on WEEI until 2005 and I think Felger had already left to ESPN890 which he also started in 2005.

Second, Felger got Mike Vrabel and Matt Light on his show. Those are two good gets because they have good personas and aren't afraid to speak their minds. Belichick wanted to sink Felger so bad that he wrote the epiloge to his book. It was his way to say FU by allowing Felger to market his book with Belichick's name on the cover.

Third, Holley's book was about following around the Patriots for a season and primarily focused on the Belichick years especially the 2001 season. Felger's book was on the history of the Patriots which was very different than Holley's book and wouldn't attract as big of an audience since the Pre-Parcells era fan base is significantly smaller than the Belichick era fan base.

Fourth, anyone who listened to Felger's 890 show from the beginning will tell you it was excellent the first year or so and slowly declined as he let Borges influence him. Even BSMW has said that in this article.

Fifth, I don't expect WBZ to talk all football, but Felger and Tanguay unlike most of WEEI don't think the Patriots' season starts after the Red Sox get eliminated from or in the playoffs or if Red Sox win the World Series, some time in November. WEEI is too Red Sox focused and ignore every other sport quite a bit even the Patriots. I still think it was a travesty that in 2003 when the Patriots were mounting an incredible run all WEEI talked about was the trade for A-Rod that never happened. Eventhough that story dragged on for months, they never found time for the Pats. Or how about Draft weekend in 2003 where the Pats had two first round picks and the Sunday Baseball show refused to take any Patriots calls (although the Sunday Football show frequently gets highjacked for baseball talk). It isn't as bad now, but it isn't much better. Obviously, the Red Sox are huge in this town so there will always be at least 40-50% Red Sox talk on any station (with the Pats getting about 30-40% and the Celts and Bruins and misc sports and other stuff getting the rest, but WEEI makes it upwards to 60-70%. Granted if Toucher and Rich are doing guy radio, WBZ will have even less for each sport.

Sixth, there may be some former players who could grow into their own hosting gig, but most hosts have to pay their dues as regular guests and fill in hosts before they get enough radio experience to host their own show. See Scott Zolak. Hosting a radio show is far more challenging than just taking calls and shooting the s*&t about sports. That is something you gotta learn.

Seven, I don't think WBZ raised the bar or signficantly lowered the bar. I don't for the market this size there are many good sports radio hosts in this town. There aren't enough for daytime WEEI, what would make you think there would be enough for WBZ. If I was going to tear WEEI down and start over, the only two permanent radio personalities I would keep are Ordway and Holley (well, not true I would keep D&C only because they get big ratings, not that I think they are any good). There would be a lot of rotational guests I would keep, but I would mix up the football and baseball guys more during the season.

Holley first landed the job Felger had been auditioning for for 2 years.

Felger got Vrabel and Light because they could handle him. In the end they practically were coming to blows... As I recall Felger spoke out of turn on air about something Light apparently intimated to him off the record. Players just hate that. BB players can't allow it.

Felger thought BB did him wrong by giving that book to Holley. What he fails to accept is Holley got the book because he asked, and because he's a better journalist and writer, and because he's not insecure and immature and he could be trusted to maintain legitimate confidences. No one knew Holley was writing that book until shortly before it came out in 2004.

Michael didn't let Borges influence him. He used to mock Ron, until he needed to pander to him for ratings. But he went contrarian before he pimped Borges. He's a disingenuous phony, that's his real failing. The whole contrarian, blowhard, sophmoric, embrace I'm a douche bag act is just that, the act of a guy desperate to succeed who lacks the courage of his convictions to do it with dignity.

WEEI now does just what you said you want them to do. They mix their co hosts in the crossover seasons. And they've uncovered some gems of late in Max and Merloni. Zolak can be good when not in close proximity to DeOssie or Fred. Or Gresh. They've utilized Perillo all along. While Felger opted for fellow contrarians Hans and Franz. And now they'll be rid of Burton...who will be doing double duty ruining all access...

This has epic fail written all over it. Even if the Krafts and CBS become involved. The Krafts achilles heal is media. Look (listen) no father than the insufferable BCN pre game radio years.

The ever pompus Globe's Chad Finn is taking it on the chin in his comments section. Seem to be at least 5-1 predicting an epic fail with Tanguay and Felger as it's centerpiece.

Last edited:

Congratulations, we have a winner!

Yes, this is a little known and forgotten part of the Ron Borges legacy. Granted, both WEEI and the Globe acted like jealous school girls afterwards, but it was Borges' comments that put the wheels in motion. It should also be pointed out that the Big Show tends to make it appear as if the Globe was the one that forbid Globe employees from appearing on EEI. Actually 'EEI said Globe employees could not appear on the Big Show, but not the rest of the shows. D&C's comments resulted in the Globe banning them from appearing on their show as well. 'EEI turned around and said Globe employees were banned from their station.

So technically, it is WEEI that is banning Globe employees from their radio broadcasts and not the other way around.

As far as the second part of the trivia question, it was the result of a conversation about Yankees' owner George Steinbrenner's comments about former Yankee pitcher Hideki Arabu, when he called him a fat toad. Borges was grasping for the exact quote and got it wrong. In retrospect it appears to be a huge over reaction by both sides; I wonder if they even realize why they're mad at each other at this point.​

Think you're a little off on who did what to whom. According to an article in the Phoenix at the time:

"The Globe's battles with WEEI began in the late summer of 1999, when staff writer Ron Borges, on Glenn Ordway's The Big Show, allegedly called New York Yankees pitcher Hideki Irabu a " fat Jap. " I couldn't reach Borges, but Ordway says Borges was merely trying to recall Yankees owner George Steinbrenner's infamous description of Irabu as a " fat, pus-sy toad. " Says Ordway: " I corrected him right on the air after that. We thought nothing of it at the time. We didn't mean it to be an ethnic slur. " No matter. The Globe's executive sports editor, Don Skwar, soon announced that his sportswriters would be banned from The Big Show, citing its offensive content. An appeal Borges filed with the union is still pending.

There the matter stood until two weeks ago, when Skwar extended the ban to Dennis & Callahan, a morning-drive-time program that is far more offensive than The Big Show. (WEEI retaliated by banning Globe staffers from all its shows.) "

Don Skwar was the same clown I used to email every time Shaughnessy wrote an offensive column or instigated the player bashing on WEEI. In those cases he told me that columnists existed to stir the pot.

By and large it's a bad idea to have print media crossing over to talk radio because eventually, as was the case with Felger, the demons that drive them to say stupid or offensive things or bash players on air to garner ratings and lure in callers start cropping up in print. Then next thing you know they have access issues and sometimes even become the focus of their own stories...as Shaughnessy did.

According to Felger's most recent mailbag, fellow WEEI blogger Shilling has recently dubbed him the Curly Haired Boyfriend, jr.

I don't how that is any better than Felger and his contrarian view.
And Felger is not a big mouth blow hard?? A baiter..who just churns crap up to make him seem some beacon of knowledge?? I am sure I will listen here and there as I do with the Big Show..but it's quite disappointing that BZ went with this pig headed retread. Send em back to chesehead land!!!!

Felger morphed into an unhappy prick the day Holley's book came out. That was right after the 2003 season ended and we won XXXVIII. He has never gotten over that. While he was dutifully penning Tales From the Sidelines or whatever it was that never sold, Holley landed a bestseller that landed him the prime gig as Dale's sidekick on the #1 rated sports station in the country...

That was when Felger perceived the handwriting on the wall. He needed to get into a new line of work before his old line closed down under him. So he began appearing on WEEI not as a football guest analyst but as a fill in and weekend co host. Until the weekend when while co hosting with Pete he went off on Pedro (who as it turnes out was missing a start against the Yankees because he'd been hospitalized all day) and the Sox that got him temporarily placed in time out. But it was worth it because that noteriety alone landed him a gig on FSNE and eventually the ESPN radio gig. Which he began blowing even at the outset because in attempting to become a multi-mediot to rival Big O he was spread so thin he lost contact with the team. He had no time to be at Gillette so he relied on Herald eyes and ears or ESPN's or his contrarian buddies at PFW or just created his own uninformed insight off the cuff. Couldn't even finish his own radio show most days because he was racing to the FSNE studio. He left his frat boys to cover that last hour.

He also began alienating players by baiting them into saying things he could twist on air. Got the punter in enough trouble he stopped showing up. When Kraft did the deal with ESPN to allow for Patriots Friday, BB countered by sending Felger the kind of guys who couldn't be baited. Towards the end they nearly came to blows. Nobody trusts him nowadays because they can smell his desperation to succeed. They don't begrudge him, but they aren't gonna let him screw them in his quest. In 2002-2003 he and Brady were friendly enough to share rides. After he repeated something Brady told him off the record on WEEI (where he was increasingly feeling the pressure to prove he knew things to seperate himself from their other mediocre talents) Brady stopped talking to him too. Ditto BB who back in the day treated him as he does Reiss these days. Bill is always willing to talk football with those who are genuinely interested and aren't looking to stab him in the back to get ahead. Which is also why Holley remains an insider. Holley is able to convince people he knows things without violating trusts. Felger lacks that self confidence.

Sports radio is never going to be all about football. If you believe that is what WBZ has in store for you just because Felger is coming aboard then you apparently missed much of his former and present gigs. Felger will talk whatever sells, including smack. He's not in this to be perceived as intelligent or worthwhile, he's in it to get ahead any way he can. He lacks Holley's temperment and polish and timing, so he resorts to frat boy humor and smash mouth analysis to cover for his shortcomings and fill airtime. If I thought he had the capacity to take a step back and work on his new craft I'd welcome a more well developed version of the 2001 Felger to radio. But he has shown no such inclination. If anything nowadays when reigned in, say by pairing him with Holley, he projects as dour and constrained. When left to his own devices he reverts to juvennile or hypercritical form.

Lately WEEI has made a move away from all but a handful of the better known mediots. Guys like LJ or Burt barely get any airtime. Guys like Dauber and Lou were brought aboard to talk baseball and they've reduced the number of Buckley stolls down your grandfather's memory lane or McAdam monotones fans have to endure. Merloni in particular, can more than hold there own talking football. Max is both hillarious and insightful on Celtics talk. The new entity should take that page out of WEEI's playbook. Even DeOssie, if seperated from Fred and steered clear of politics, could be a very legit, insightful and well connected football oriented co host. The day of the reporter turned insightful analyst is waning. The new generation of players in all sports is ripe to be mined. It's a little early for the Patriots since former players of value are still either employed or lack the necessary polish or temperement. Tedy would be a hoot. Troy would still need a strong supporting cast. Zolak has his moments but it's like he's been overcoached to be an entertainer. Burton and Roach are gonna struggle with All Access because they're conditioned to either anchor or break news. And for all his pedigree, Burton is a far better anchor than analyst.

Sports talk radio can be funny and insightful. Sometimes WEEI is. Nothing is ever going to be perfect. WBZ doesn't sound like they're positioning themselves to remotely raise the bar. It can be done, just not with the kind of tight assed and equaly annoying attitude McDonough's egocentric son brought to the mix. Remy saved his ass on Sox broadcasts. Absent that he was borderline insufferable on 1510. The bar can also be lowered, and that is what Felger ultimately did the last time someone gave him the keys to a radio studio.

In the present economy, given the dearth of advertising dollars, I just don't see another sports radio station as being a sound long term investment, let alone when you're stocking it with a bunch of failed retreads.
THAT was a great analysis of the radio scene..Felger IS an opportunist and seems that getting ahead is ALL he really cares about..no matter what that takes. I agree that a well developed 2001 Felger would be an improvement...BUT THAT is not going to happen. It's big mouth..churn up anything everthing Felger who has little to add from his own mind.
I remember a few years ago..03-04..being down by the media tent at Gillete.. There would be Reiss and a few others watching the practice intently...and there would be Felger in his flip flops, talking baseball and yukking it up with his frat boy friends.

Think you're a little off on who did what to whom. According to an article in the Phoenix at the time:

"The Globe's battles with WEEI began in the late summer of 1999, when staff writer Ron Borges, on Glenn Ordway's The Big Show, allegedly called New York Yankees pitcher Hideki Irabu a " fat Jap. " I couldn't reach Borges, but Ordway says Borges was merely trying to recall Yankees owner George Steinbrenner's infamous description of Irabu as a " fat, pus-sy toad. " Says Ordway: " I corrected him right on the air after that. We thought nothing of it at the time. We didn't mean it to be an ethnic slur. " No matter. The Globe's executive sports editor, Don Skwar, soon announced that his sportswriters would be banned from The Big Show, citing its offensive content. An appeal Borges filed with the union is still pending.

There the matter stood until two weeks ago, when Skwar extended the ban to Dennis & Callahan, a morning-drive-time program that is far more offensive than The Big Show. (WEEI retaliated by banning Globe staffers from all its shows.) "

Don Skwar was the same clown I used to email every time Shaughnessy wrote an offensive column or instigated the player bashing on WEEI. In those cases he told me that columnists existed to stir the pot.

By and large it's a bad idea to have print media crossing over to talk radio because eventually, as was the case with Felger, the demons that drive them to say stupid or offensive things or bash players on air to garner ratings and lure in callers start cropping up in print. Then next thing you know they have access issues and sometimes even become the focus of their own stories...as Shaughnessy did.

According to Felger's most recent mailbag, fellow WEEI blogger Shilling has recently dubbed him the Curly Haired Boyfriend, jr.
You're absolutely right. I knew the chain of events; I should have re-read what I had written before hitting "submit reply". First it was the Globe (Skwar) banning any Globe employees from appearing on the Big Show, then from appearing on D&C, and then WEEI turned around and banned any Globe employees from appearing on any of their shows.

Thanks for catching that.

Holley first landed the job Felger had been auditioning for for 2 years.

Felger got Vrabel and Light because they could handle him. In the end they practically were coming to blows... As I recall Felger spoke out of turn on air about something Light apparently intimated to him off the record. Players just hate that. BB players can't allow it.

Felger thought BB did him wrong by giving that book to Holley. What he fails to accept is Holley got the book because he asked, and because he's a better journalist and writer, and because he's not insecure and immature and he could be trusted to maintain legitimate confidences. No one knew Holley was writing that book until shortly before it came out in 2004.

Michael didn't let Borges influence him. He used to mock Ron, until he needed to pander to him for ratings. But he went contrarian before he pimped Borges. He's a disingenuous phony, that's his real failing. The whole contrarian, blowhard, sophmoric, embrace I'm a douche bag act is just that, the act of a guy desperate to succeed who lacks the courage of his convictions to do it with dignity.

WEEI now does just what you said you want them to do. They mix their co hosts in the crossover seasons. And they've uncovered some gems of late in Max and Merloni. Zolak can be good when not in close proximity to DeOssie or Fred. Or Gresh. They've utilized Perillo all along. While Felger opted for fellow contrarians Hans and Franz. And now they'll be rid of Burton...who will be doing double duty ruining all access...

This has epic fail written all over it. Even if the Krafts and CBS become involved. The Krafts achilles heal is media. Look (listen) no father than the insufferable BCN pre game radio years.

The ever pompus Globe's Chad Finn is taking it on the chin in his comments section. Seem to be at least 5-1 predicting an epic fail with Tanguay and Felger as it's centerpiece.

Well, you put a lot of interesting theories without a shread of evidence. No ddoubt these theories are formed by your bias against Felger. Where is your proof the Belichick put Light and Vrabel on because he knew that they could handle Felger? How do you know that Belichick had anything to do with that and it wasn't 100% coordinated by Stacy James or someone else? How do you know if Felger didn't request those two?

Also when did Felger ever say he was afronted by Belichick because he didn't get the access that Holley got? That is your hatred of Felger creating a scenario with no proof.

If you ever listedn to Felger's show on ESPN890, you would know that his contrarian view didn't come out until after Borges made regular appearances and his phones got flooded. Anyone you ask who listened to his show from the beginning will tell you at first it was execellent until he took his contrarian view.

As for WEEI, no matter what WBZ does it is still mediocre radio. If you can ever get a chance to listen to Sirius NFL radio or some of the other radio broadcasts around the country you will see that they do not set the bar very high for content and they pander to the lowest common denominator. That leads me to Smerlas since he is a perfect example of this, he shows on his Tailgating TV show that he is very knowledgeable when he isn't allowed time to do BS, but on WEEI he'd rather team with Pete and play a bafoon.

As for Felger, people love to hate him. But that doesn't neccessarily mean they won't listen to him. Borges' columns became more read after people started to hate him.

WBZ may or may not work, but it doesn't mean WEEI is a good radio. It is popular. It is dumbed down a lot of the time. It really doesn't bog themselves down with indepth analysis a lot of the time in favor of yahoo callers. Doesn't mean they are beatable. It also doesn't mean they are good. There a lot of jugganauts on radio who do very well by attacking the lowest common denominator. It just ain't my kind of radio. Only Dale and Holley try to raise the bar on that level on a conssistent basis.

And Felger is not a big mouth blow hard?? A baiter..who just churns crap up to make him seem some beacon of knowledge?? I am sure I will listen here and there as I do with the Big Show..but it's quite disappointing that BZ went with this pig headed retread. Send em back to chesehead land!!!!

I think he backs his contrarian view with knowledge. I don't agree with him a lot, but I would rather listen to a knowledge than a moron like Pete Sheppard who orgasms whenever Brady's name comes up or embarrasses him self with long rambling questions to Belichick.

I will listen to WEEI at times and WBZ at others. At times they can get into good talk if they keep Pete and Fred at bay and/or don't take stupid phone calls. WEEI can sportatically be very good, but they like to pander the lowest common denominator a lot. Personally, other than Mondays and Fridays during the fall (at least up to this point), I listen to Sirus NFL radio more than I listen to any other station. Granted they deal with football at the national level, but depending on the host they talk real football and don't pander.

The Globe's executive sports editor, Don Skwar, soon announced that his sportswriters would be banned from The Big Show, citing its offensive content. An appeal Borges filed with the union is still pending.

That's how I remembered it, but I thought I was wrong with the other answers.

The proof of what Felger is staring you right in the face...THAT IS if you wish to see it..he's a smug, opportunistic, shallow know nothing. Why do you think many can't stand him?? The reasons people have a reaction to him is because they have observed him over the years and seen him in action...
That WBZ has, as Finn put it, made Felger the "franchise player" of sorts is highly disappointing. It's more like the Raiders having a high first round pick and selecting a 3rd rounder. For me and many it's a bad choice and really shows that you can have a big opportunity, but make mistakes right off easily. How many out there do you think are even close to excited about Felger?? I would venture to guess not many.
I was quite excited about having some competition to EEI, BUT they have already fumbled the ball a great deal.
Sure, there are some that LOVE Felger...you could be a great PR agent for him. Others see him as a phony and a retread and a writer that churns much up but adds nothing.

The proof of what Felger is staring you right in the face...THAT IS if you wish to see it..he's a smug, opportunistic, shallow know nothing. Why do you think many can't stand him?? The reasons people have a reaction to him is because they have observed him over the years and seen him in action...
That WBZ has, as Finn put it, made Felger the "franchise player" of sorts is highly disappointing. It's more like the Raiders having a high first round pick and selecting a 3rd rounder. For me and many it's a bad choice and really shows that you can have a big opportunity, but make mistakes right off easily. How many out there do you think are even close to excited about Felger?? I would venture to guess not many.
I was quite excited about having some competition to EEI, BUT they have already fumbled the ball a great deal.
Sure, there are some that LOVE Felger...you could be a great PR agent for him. Others see him as a phony and a retread and a writer that churns much up but adds nothing.

I don't love Felger. I don't think he is as bad as people make him out as. I also enjoy him more than popular guys who bring nothing to the table other than being yahoo homers who pander to the crowd (Fred Smerlas and Pete Sheppard being the extreme cases of that).

As for proof, Felger's on air personality is not proof. Most people hate him because no one in this town likes anyone who says anything remotely negative about the Patriots. Tom Curran has gone from the best in a lot of people's eyes to horrible because he has become more critical of the Patriots since he went to the national level. If Steve DeOssie started to be the contrarian and brought the same knowledge to the table, people would say he was moron too. I have no problem with contrarians and I do think Felger does bring things to the table as terms of insight. It is just not insight people want to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back