PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WBCN axes rock format - going to all sports (on 98.5 as WBZ-FM) to compete with WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WBCN axes rock format - going to all sports (on 98.5 as WBZ-FM) to compete with W

I think the content will count for something as well.

Re: WBCN axes rock format - going to all sports (on 98.5 as WBZ-FM) to compete with W

And that's precisely why I cited what is different this time...CBS, a major backer plus a STRONG FM signal. The previous attempts faded past 128, especially in the winter. Given these differences, it's all about the management of the station as the other controlled factors have been addressed this time.

But it was different with ESPN, too. People here (I don't mean you) simply don't seem to understand ratings, brand loyalty and such things as 'morning commute' listeners (There's a reason that many sports stations have non-sports talk during the early morning hours, including WFAN until the Imus situation). EEI has become Goliath, making even ESPN David by comparison. To respond to that, we've got people talking about Reiss, with his voice tailor made for print, and Felger with his inability to avoid being a crap stirrer for no reason? That station would be off the air in a flash.

I'm not saying that EEI can't be taken down. All things fall in time. However, it's not going to fall because some new station has supposedly gotten a stronger signal. I've seen that scenario fail in format after format and region after region.

This.

Reiss is a superb reporter, great blogger, and you couldn't find a better guy to call in and give you 20 minutes on the Pats and NFL. But the guy doesn't have the personality, voice or broadcasting skills to be an on-air co-host.

I think he does a pretty good job on Sports Final and when I listen to him on Sirius NFL Radio when he calls in. Look at some of the guys on the WEEI. Pete Sheppard can't put two sentences together. Neither can Fred Smerlas at times. Tom Curran has no personality when he guests on WEEI at least at times. Steve Buckley and Sean McAdams tend to have no personality. Dale Arnold is as bland as they come.

He would probably be a panel guest like the Big Show has. As long as they get a personality to go with him, he would do fine.

Besides, he was just an example of Globe guys who are blocked from radio. Other guys who people love to hate and will draw viewers like the Curley Haired Boyfriend, Tony Mazz and that old crumudeon, Bob Ryan would generate listeners because people love to hate those guys.

I'm sure CBS guys like Dan Burton, Alice Cooke, and Dan Roache will be part of the station since it is WBZ-FM and affiliated with the WBZ station. Many of the WEEI regulars who do Sports Final may defect when their contracts are up like Felger, DeOssie, McAdams, etc.

I just gave an example of one guy who is popular on this board who doesn't appear on WEEI because of the Globe ban. He is far from the only one.

Boston Sports Media Watch More On The New WBZ-FM

BSMW believes the new station's lineup will be Toucher and Rich from 6-10 am, Gary Tanguay from 10-2, and Michael Felger from 2-6. Sounds like Felger is already out at WEEI. They also feel there will be more national guests because of the tie-ins with other CBS radio stations such as WFAN in New York and WIP in Philadelphia. And they also see remotes from CBS Scene at Patriot Place and maybe some guest appearances from WBZ television guys like Steve Burton.

But it was different with ESPN, too. People here (I don't mean you) simply don't seem to understand ratings, brand loyalty and such things as 'morning commute' listeners (There's a reason that many sports stations have non-sports talk during the early morning hours, including WFAN until the Imus situation). EEI has become Goliath, making even ESPN David by comparison. To respond to that, we've got people talking about Reiss, with his voice tailor made for print, and Felger with his inability to avoid being a crap stirrer for no reason? That station would be off the air in a flash.

I'm not saying that EEI can't be taken down. All things fall in time. However, it's not going to fall because some new station has supposedly gotten a stronger signal. I've seen that scenario fail in format after format and region after region.

ESPN890 didn't fail because they were David vs. WEEI's Goliath. They failed because no one in Boston wants to spend their entire commute in the morning listening to national sports information. A few weeks back I remember Mike and Mike doing an hour on the PGA while D&C were talking Sox talk. Who is going to win that battle? The Monday after a Pats game are you going to listen to M&M along with Ditka run down through all the national games or listen to D&C talk primarily about the Pats' game and interviewing Brady?

I agree that WBZ-FM won't make huge gains overnight. Even when Howard Stern was on terrestrial radio and entering in a new market even with his reputation, he didn't become #1 overnight. And he had the brand name.

WBZ-FM does have some brand recognition since they are partnered with channel 4. They will get plenty of advertising there. I would assume Dan Burton would either get his own show or be on a lot. I expect a lot of guys associated with WBZ TV to make the move either immediately or over time like Zolak and DeOssie (they got cushy . They could also add some of the guys from the Patriots broadcasts like Gary Tanguay and Andy Gresch (although I hope not as for Andy). It isn't like this station is starting completely from scratch and they do have the funds and the connections to get some good name talent on the show.

I don't think WBZ-FM will fail like 1510 and 890 did. They are in far better position to succeed. I think they could overtake WEEI at least at certain parts of the day, but we are talking years not months.

Let me say that while I'm wishfull that 98.5 succeed yet despite it's money and signal advantages I'd readily agree that for many reasons previously cited in this thread the odds are greatly against their success. The excellent blogger Mike Reiss IS a dweeby on-air personality at best. Worst on TV.

Boston Sports Media Watch More On The New WBZ-FM

BSMW believes the new station's lineup will be Toucher and Rich from 6-10 am, Gary Tanguay from 10-2, and Michael Felger from 2-6. Sounds like Felger is already out at WEEI. They also feel there will be more national guests because of the tie-ins with other CBS radio stations such as WFAN in New York and WIP in Philadelphia. And they also see remotes from CBS Scene at Patriot Place and maybe some guest appearances from WBZ television guys like Steve Burton.

Right there is already a better line up than either 1510 or 890 had at least to compete in a Boston market. All three show's hosts already have a name and a following sometimes for the negative. Personally, I always listened to Felger over the Big Show during football season because eventhough Felger's Borges Jr. act was a little tiring, he actually could talk football which many of the Big Show hosts couldn't and would rather talk Sox until November.

I think BSMW is going to be disapointed with this point:

Please, in the name of all that is holy, refrain from poaching such WEEI “talent” as Steve DeOssie, Larry Johnson, Butch Stearns, Jon Meterparel, or Fred Smerlas. If August 13th comes and at 10:00am I hear Gary Tanguay with Butch Stearns, I know the station is doomed to failure. We don’t need Andelman involvement, either.

I think DeOssie and Zolak will be poached the second their contracts are up. Anyone associated with WBZ TV will be IMHO. Luckily Stearns and Meterparel have no associations to WBZ TV. Stearns association with Fox will probably exclude him from making the jump.

ESPN890 didn't fail because they were David vs. WEEI's Goliath. They failed because no one in Boston wants to spend their entire commute in the morning listening to national sports information. A few weeks back I remember Mike and Mike doing an hour on the PGA while D&C were talking Sox talk. Who is going to win that battle? The Monday after a Pats game are you going to listen to M&M along with Ditka run down through all the national games or listen to D&C talk primarily about the Pats' game and interviewing Brady?

I agree that WBZ-FM won't make huge gains overnight. Even when Howard Stern was on terrestrial radio and entering in a new market even with his reputation, he didn't become #1 overnight. And he had the brand name.

WBZ-FM does have some brand recognition since they are partnered with channel 4. They will get plenty of advertising there. I would assume Dan Burton would either get his own show or be on a lot. I expect a lot of guys associated with WBZ TV to make the move either immediately or over time like Zolak and DeOssie (they got cushy . They could also add some of the guys from the Patriots broadcasts like Gary Tanguay and Andy Gresch (although I hope not as for Andy). It isn't like this station is starting completely from scratch and they do have the funds and the connections to get some good name talent on the show.

I don't think WBZ-FM will fail like 1510 and 890 did. They are in far better position to succeed. I think they could overtake WEEI at least at certain parts of the day, but we are talking years not months.

Felger's a disaster waiting to happen. If the new station wants to lose the Patriots right out of the bat, signing Felger for the afternoon drive is the perfect way to do it. As for Tanquay, well, just color me unimpressed. They'd be better off getting Boomer's show simulcast out of New York and moving Toucher and Rich to the late morning/early afternoon slot.

Of course, that's just my personal take on that group of 'talent'.

Felger's a disaster waiting to happen. If the new station wants to lose the Patriots right out of the bat, signing Felger for the afternoon drive is the perfect way to do it. As for Tanquay, well, just color me unimpressed. They'd be better off getting Boomer's show simulcast out of New York and moving Toucher and Rich to the late morning/early afternoon slot.

Felger has been much better of late. Honestly, I've gotten used to his shtick and generally find him pretty entertaining. He at least will talk sports and is interested in generating sports talk, even if his opinions are off the mark quite a bit.

Tanguay seems like a nice enough guy, but he's far too opinionated for someone who seems to not really have a good grasp on any given sport. He can host a show, but thats about it. He needs a lot of talent around him.

EEI's Patriots & Football stuff isn't going to be surpassed given a) the ex NFL players they have on board b) the access & the interviews they get. While EEI can be brutal to listen to at times (ie, the baseball season), they do get football season pretty much right, and I don't see another station knocking them out. I will say that 890 ESPN [locally] has hosts that are more knowledgeable on football than some of the EEI hosts, and I prefer to listen to that station at times (before it was Lew & Mike, now its the "Boston Sports show")

Last edited:

Felger is better than the Big Show during the football season. The Big Show's football discussion doesn't go much further than Pete's mancrush on Brady or on off days where the Red Sox are in the Penant race.

As for Tanguay, he is better than Dale Arnold. Then again, not setting the bar high there. I still don't know how Dale and his bland personality has a job.

I'm not a huge follower of Toucher and Rich, but I will take them over D&C and their Obama bashing during peak drive time hours. I haven't been able to listen to D&C for over a year now because their Right Wing politics have increasingly become more dominant on the show. I bet many others agree. Toucher and Rich do have a decent following though.

It isn't the best line up you can imagine, but far better than anything that has gone up against WEEI before (which isn't saying much). I am hopeful this station succeeds because WEEI has become increasingly unlistenable over the years. Between their constant Red Sox talk, politics, and afternoon bafoonery I find myself listening to more Sirius NFL radion, ESPN radio, and Stern on Sirius than I do WEEI.

The one plus that I always liked about 890 when Felger was there that should happen on the new station with Felger and Tanguay there, they won't be the Red Sox channel and will throw a lot of Patriots talk in there where WEEI will spend most of training camp and preseason talking Red Sox. Even in the season until after the World Series or the Sox get eliminated, they only talk football primarily on Mondays and Fridays. Felger and Tanguay will talk it all week.

Felger's a disaster waiting to happen. If the new station wants to lose the Patriots right out of the bat, signing Felger for the afternoon drive is the perfect way to do it.

I assume you are saying this because of his negativity. Well, listen to WFAN in New York, they are the Mets flagship and several of their hosts are Yankees fans who rip the Mets all day, yet they somehow stay on the air. If you get people to listen, you can say whatever you want. FWIW, Felger has broadened his horizons lately. I think his work with the baseball show and with Comcast SportsNet has been pretty good.

I think DeOssie and Zolak will be poached the second their contracts are up. Anyone associated with WBZ TV will be IMHO. Luckily Stearns and Meterparel have no associations to WBZ TV. Stearns association with Fox will probably exclude him from making the jump

I was thinking about this too, as you know there will be defections. However, what I am hopeful for is that WEEI is forced to strengthen their cohost/guest list. Less LJ, Butch, etc and more people who know what on earth they are talking about. Picture a mid August afternoon drive show of Pete, LJ, and Butch. It happens far too often and it is unlistenable. I'd have my radio tuned to WBZ FM in a second. I think that is something which is often overlooked. Heading into Patriots season/Red Sox post season, many of the big names take a week or two in August. If WBZ-FM can come out with a strong cast of characters while WEEI has their fill-in patrol working, they may grab more listeners than they would going toe-to-toe with Ordway et. al. Would they stay once Labor Day rolled around? Who knows, but at least they get some attention.

They failed because no one in Boston wants to spend their entire commute in the morning listening to national sports information. A few weeks back I remember Mike and Mike doing an hour on the PGA while D&C were talking Sox talk. Who is going to win that battle? The Monday after a Pats game are you going to listen to M&M along with Ditka run down through all the national games or listen to D&C talk primarily about the Pats' game and interviewing Brady?

You are correct about that but D&C do their fair share of golf talk from April-October. Yet they still get excellent ratings. I would say the majority of D&C's non-Sox related sports content during the summer months is golf related. I am not sure how the tv ratings are for golf here in Boston but does it warrant the attention D&C give it?

Felger has been much better of late. Honestly, I've gotten used to his shtick and generally find him pretty entertaining. He at least will talk sports and is interested in generating sports talk, even if his opinions are off the mark quite a bit.

Tanguay seems like a nice enough guy, but he's far too opinionated for someone who seems to not really have a good grasp on any given sport. He can host a show, but thats about it. He needs a lot of talent around him.

EEI's Patriots & Football stuff isn't going to be surpassed given a) the ex NFL players they have on board b) the access & the interviews they get. While EEI can be brutal to listen to at times (ie, the baseball season), they do get football season pretty much right, and I don't see another station knocking them out. I will say that 890 ESPN [locally] has hosts that are more knowledgeable on football than some of the EEI hosts, and I prefer to listen to that station at times (before it was Lew & Mike, now its the "Boston Sports show")

I think the EEI football talk can be surpassed and I think they get it wrong a lot. Of the three former players who are on the show, only Zolak consistently talks good football. Fred loves to fall into his doofas character. DeOssie can get bogged down on stupidity when Smerlas and Pete get going. My biggest complaint about WEEI over the years is that they refuse to talk football because they don't have enough hosts and guests on the show who know how to talk football and get beyond the superficial. There was nothing worse than listening to the baseball guys other than Buckley (who covers the Pats from time to time) talk football.

I do agree about the guests, but I bet that with WBZ's connection to the Patriots they will get some good player guests who are not Brady or Belichick. The station will carry the games and WBZ TV is the official TV station of the Patriots and licenses the 5th Quarter too. I wouldn't be surprised if they could leverage Moss (who has shied away from radio interviews) into a weekly segment.

As for Felger, he adopted the Borges Jr. act to get ratings for his show when 890 was floundering. As long as he stays away from that character, he talks football as good or better than anyone on WEEI. He does have problems at time staying away from that character though.

Felger is better than the Big Show during the football season. The Big Show's football discussion doesn't go much further than Pete's mancrush on Brady or on off days where the Red Sox are in the Penant race.

As for Tanguay, he is better than Dale Arnold. Then again, not setting the bar high there. I still don't know how Dale and his bland personality has a job.

I'm not a huge follower of Toucher and Rich, but I will take them over D&C and their Obama bashing during peak drive time hours. I haven't been able to listen to D&C for over a year now because their Right Wing politics have increasingly become more dominant on the show. I bet many others agree. Toucher and Rich do have a decent following though.

It isn't the best line up you can imagine, but far better than anything that has gone up against WEEI before (which isn't saying much). I am hopeful this station succeeds because WEEI has become increasingly unlistenable over the years. Between their constant Red Sox talk, politics, and afternoon bafoonery I find myself listening to more Sirius NFL radion, ESPN radio, and Stern on Sirius than I do WEEI.

The one plus that I always liked about 890 when Felger was there that should happen on the new station with Felger and Tanguay there, they won't be the Red Sox channel and will throw a lot of Patriots talk in there where WEEI will spend most of training camp and preseason talking Red Sox. Even in the season until after the World Series or the Sox get eliminated, they only talk football primarily on Mondays and Fridays. Felger and Tanguay will talk it all week.

Clearly, we have radically different opinions on the individual 'talents' involved. Well, if the new station is lucky, more people will side with you long term than with me, when it comes to the hosts.

I assume you are saying this because of his negativity. Well, listen to WFAN in New York, they are the Mets flagship and several of their hosts are Yankees fans who rip the Mets all day, yet they somehow stay on the air. If you get people to listen, you can say whatever you want. FWIW, Felger has broadened his horizons lately. I think his work with the baseball show and with Comcast SportsNet has been pretty good.

It's not just negativity. Negativity as a schtick dies out quickly and ends up getting a partner to offset it unless the host tempers his approach. What Felger does is use the radio the way Whitlock uses his newspaper. They deliberately stir up crap, frequently about the home teams, even when there's none to be stirred up. That's a recipe for a shooting star existence. It's the Morton Downey, Jr. approach minus the video and, while I'm sure people can point to some exceptions, I can't think of a single major market where that approach has proven to be sustainable for sports talk radio in the long run.

Just look at how insane people here go over ESPN, and that's not even a situation involving a local station.

I think the EEI football talk can be surpassed and I think they get it wrong a lot. Of the three former players who are on the show, only Zolak consistently talks good football. Fred loves to fall into his doofas character. DeOssie can get bogged down on stupidity when Smerlas and Pete get going. My biggest complaint about WEEI over the years is that they refuse to talk football because they don't have enough hosts and guests on the show who know how to talk football and get beyond the superficial. There was nothing worse than listening to the baseball guys other than Buckley (who covers the Pats from time to time) talk football.

EEI also has Perillo on often, and he's great. Frankly, I wish they had him on more frequently, and agree that Fred (and Steve to a lesser extent) can be a huge distraction.

If the new programming could grab Perillo for a more full-time gig, and maybe include guest spots from Reiss or Gasper, then I think it would be a step in the right direction.

I was thinking about this too, as you know there will be defections. However, what I am hopeful for is that WEEI is forced to strengthen their cohost/guest list. Less LJ, Butch, etc and more people who know what on earth they are talking about. Picture a mid August afternoon drive show of Pete, LJ, and Butch. It happens far too often and it is unlistenable. I'd have my radio tuned to WBZ FM in a second. I think that is something which is often overlooked. Heading into Patriots season/Red Sox post season, many of the big names take a week or two in August. If WBZ-FM can come out with a strong cast of characters while WEEI has their fill-in patrol working, they may grab more listeners than they would going toe-to-toe with Ordway et. al. Would they stay once Labor Day rolled around? Who knows, but at least they get some attention.

I will be more than happy to have WBZ-FM suck as long as it forces WEEI to get their act together. It is funny that people have biatched for years that WEEI's football coverage has sucked and now that they get the most legitimate competiton they have had ever and now people like their coverage.

I feel that D&C have let their politics dominante the show too much (and they let Meterparel talk too much and by too much, I mean at all) and the Big Show has fallen too much into bafoonery. If WBZ plays it more straight and starts eating into their ratings, they might change their tune.

You are correct about that but D&C do their fair share of golf talk from April-October. Yet they still get excellent ratings. I would say the majority of D&C's non-Sox related sports content during the summer months is golf related. I am not sure how the tv ratings are for golf here in Boston but does it warrant the attention D&C give it?

I was just giving an example. I know WEEI do talk some national sports, but a show like Mike and Mike can go days or even weeks without talking any Boston sports. And many times when they do it is only for 5-10 minutes before they move onto the next subject. Boston isn't a baseball town, it is a Red Sox town.

EEI also has Perillo on often, and he's great. Frankly, I wish they had him on more frequently, and agree that Fred (and Steve to a lesser extent) can be a huge distraction.

If the new programming could grab Perillo for a more full-time gig, and maybe include guest spots from Reiss or Gasper, then I think it would be a step in the right direction.

Perillo is one of the only other guys on WEEI who can talk consistent football, well him and Curran (who is not on as much anymore either).

I assume Felger will bring back Andy "Hans" Hart to his show who isn't bad although not at Perillo's level. I am thinking that Tom "Franz" Casale will not be back though. Just a hunch. Maybe Perillo will be the new Franz.

Perillo is one of the only other guys on WEEI who can talk consistent football, well him and Curran (who is not on as much anymore either).

I assume Felger will bring back Andy "Hans" Hart to his show who isn't bad although not at Perillo's level. I am thinking that Tom "Franz" Casale will not be back though. Just a hunch. Maybe Perillo will be the new Franz.

Hart seems to like to play contrarian and is far more negative than he needs to be, but he's still not too bad.

Perillo's great b/c he knows his stuff, knows the team inside and out, and stays focused at all times.

I'm still a Curran fan, but I don't see him moving from EEI, as you say, he's not on there much anymore as it is b/c of his national gig.

Last edited:

Casale is in Vegas...

I am going to check out the new station

I listen to sports radio 90% of the time I am in my car.
I have a 90 minute commute, so I listen to the radio about 3 hours
a day minimum.

I am real tired of D & C.
Enough of the Jack Bauer talk....
How did Callahan ever get a job at SI. He knows zero about sports.
He is the Howie car of sports. If he is not ripping someone, he has nothing
to say.

I have never heard of Toucher and Rich, but I will give them a try.

Tanguay vs Holly & Arnold.
I watch Comcast sports tonight most days and Tanguay brings very little
to the table. I hate Dale Arnold, but I love to listen to Michael Holly.
If the new CBS/WBZ station were smart, they would try to grab Holly when his contract is up.

Felger vs the Big Show
I enjoyed Felger when he was down the dial a couple years ago.
I use to jump back and forth between 850 & 890.

I think that the new station should go after Michael Holly and put him with
Felger (great together) 10am to 2pm. If they put them together they would smoke Dale Arnold and whoever they found to replace Holly. I just could not
see them losing as long as Dale Arnold is on the air.

I don't know who they should get to go head to head against the big show.
I would love them to get someone national like Boomer Esiason, but he
already has a show in the morning.

All and all I welcome the new station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes