Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Last edited:
I assume you mean UFA WR? Which even still is debatable. I think Brandon Lloyd and ARE could be seen as better FA WR prospects.

tombonneau said:
I assume you mean UFA WR? Which even still is debatable. I think Brandon Lloyd and ARE could be seen as better FA WR prospects.

I have yet to see one ranking of free agents wideouts that did not have Givens rated 1 or 2, most of them 2.

tombonneau said:
I assume you mean UFA WR?

Yes. I corrected my original post.

I actually like Antonio Bryant as the best UFA WR but the point remains that Givens will be one of the top ones. I know you guys think I'm nuts but I'd create the cap space, franchise Givens, and trade him to a team wanting to sign him long term. Like we did we Tebucky. Worst case no-one wants him and we're stuck overpaying him for one year. But someone would give us a 3rd or 4th round pick for him IMO.

Miguel said:
I have yet to see one ranking of free agents wideouts that did not have Givens rated 1 or 2, most of them 2.

No slight to Givens, but this isn't exactly a "hot" FA year for WRs. But that's just all the more reason for the Pats to work on getting a deal done.

Of course, odds are with such crap WRs on the market, some owner is going to offer Givens waaaay too much $$ and he'll likely take it. Which, good for him, he should. Its not often a 7th rounder gets a chance to get a big contract in FA, so I for one will certainly not fault him.

tombonneau said:
Of course, odds are with such crap WRs on the market, some owner is going to offer Givens waaaay too much $$ and he'll likely take it.
All the more reason to Franchise him, baby :)

JoeSixPat said:
What would Givens be due as a Transition player?

I don't think he'd be worth the price as a franchise player (assuming it were available) - but even then, its only for one year until there's a better crop of UFAs (and we know what the CBA is going to be)

Does anyone actually use the transition tag? I don't think I've ever seen anyone slapped with it.

JoeSixPat said:

I don't think he'd be worth the price as a franchise player (assuming it were available) - but even then, its only for one year until there's a better crop of UFAs (and we know what the CBA is going to be)

Wide receiver
Franchise $6,172,000
Transition $5,160,000

JoeSixPat said:

The transition number is only $1M less than the Franchise :

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...d/showthread.php?t=30416&highlight=transition

I'm not in favor of actually paying the Franchise number to Givens but I'd be willing to take the risk of overpaying him for one year for the upside of being able to trade him. Players are commodities, I wouldn't just let this one go for nothing.

Poilan playing with fire if he franchises Wayne. Almost guarantees they
won't have enough money for Edge. Then next year, he'll have to give
Wayne another 20% increases if he franchises him a 2nd year. And,
Dwight Freeney will be a UFA....My guess. They keep Wayne to appease
Manning. Try to replace Edge in draft. Risking losing Freeney. Big gamble.
If they don't franchise Wayne, I expect Philly to make him a knock your
socks off bid. After they release TO. Stuck between the proverbial rock
and a hard place. Let's enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey