PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wayne: NE offense unlike anything I've played in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was underwhelmed by the news of his signing, but given his quotes and hearing about hi work ethic, I'm getting more hopeful that he can make a difference. He doesn't have to be a star, just a consistent and reliable option about 20 downs a game.

The chip on his shoulder is great. Revenge is one of the best motivators!

No, it's nothing like that, at all.

To be clear, I'm not saying this because I think you're going to learn anything at all much less change your mind because you'll move the goalposts all the way to China before you retract anything.

You said there was a "big similarity" in that both offenses require players to be "exactly" in the right place at the right time but with all due respect, that is the goal of any football offense in the NFL.

It's an overtly simple statement that ignores the big differences between the offenses that Manning and Brady runs.

Both of these are good links. I hope a lot of people read them. Far to often I see posters refer to the Pats use of the Erhardt Perkins as a type of offense rather than a system to efficiently label, learn and communicate plays.

Both of these are good links. I hope a lot of people read them. Far to often I see posters refer to the Pats use of the Erhardt Perkins as a type of offense rather than a system to efficiently label, learn and communicate plays.

I remember reading that article a few years ago. Good stuff. The thing is that the Patriots offense for receivers really isn't that "complicated" in the routes they have to run and the things they have to know. The hard part is reacting to the defense and running the correct route without hesitation. It is the speed of the decision making that is the difficult part of the offense.

I remember reading that article a few years ago. Good stuff. The thing is that the Patriots offense for receivers really isn't that "complicated" in the routes they have to run and the things they have to know. The hard part is reacting to the defense and running the correct route without hesitation. It is the speed of the decision making that is the difficult part of the offense.
Agreed, but I would add that quick recognition while playing at game speeds is just as important as the processing/decision making aspect. You can't consistently make the right decision if you don't have the right information. Also keep in mind that these decisions aren't made while sitting comfortably in front of a PC. They happen while you're running as fast as you can with multiple huge dudes hitting you and waiting for the opportunity to take your head off. It requires a combination of toughness and varying types of intelligence that is hard to identify unless a player has had success in such a system.

How to build the Manning offensive system:

1. Spend multiple high draft picks on wide receivers who will be more athletic and quick than defensive backs.

2. Never, ever let a good wide receiver leave for free agency, no matter the price tag.

3. In the event that point 2 fails, immediately go to the free agency market and replace the departing receiver with a better one.

4. Spend at least 75% of the cap on Manning's offensive weapons and protection.

5. Run a fairly simple X/O scheme and call Manning the smartest, most complex QB who ever lived, since his skill players are always insanely good.

6. If Manning no longer has TWO pro bowl wide receivers, trade him immediately to a team who will supply him with the best weapons in the league.

7. Make sure to throw those elite receivers under the bus when Manning inevitably chokes in the playoffs.

8. Blame the offensive coordinator for playoff failures. Call Manning his own offensive coordinator during times of regular season success.

9. Never let Manning play a season of his career without stacked elite talent all around him.

10. When all else fails, blame the top-5 defense.

1. Spend multiple high draft picks on wide receivers who will be more athletic and quick than defensive backs.

2. Never, ever let a good wide receiver leave for free agency, no matter the price tag.

3. In the event that point 2 fails, immediately go to the free agency market and replace the departing receiver with a better one.

5. Run a fairly simple X/O scheme and call Manning the smartest, most complex QB who ever lived, since his skill players are always insanely good.

6. If Manning no longer has TWO pro bowl wide receivers, trade him immediately to a team who will supply him with the best weapons in the league.

7. Make sure to throw those elite receivers under the bus when Manning inevitably chokes in the playoffs.

8. Blame the offensive coordinator for playoff failures. Call Manning his own offensive coordinator during times of regular season success.

9. Never let Manning play a season of his career without stacked elite talent all around him.

Manning has had success with a number of scrap heap type players.

Manning has had success with a number of scrap heap type players.

Thats true with any QB.

I think it is reasonable to say that Manning has had either an elite WR & very good RB or two elite/very good WRs at his disposal every year of his career.

The same cannot be said for Brady, Montana, Marino, etc.

Last edited:

Don't forget, pump in crowd noise and cheat the salary cap too.

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 5m5 minutes ago
Reggie Wayne contract details: 1 year, $2.8 million max value. Received $450,000 signing bonus. Base salary is $1.1 million. #Patriots (1/2)

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 4m4 minutes ago
Reggie Wayne contract details: Earns $46,875 per game he's on 46-man active roster; earns $250,000 for 55 catches or $500,000 for 65. (2/2)

Hmmm. Those are #4 receiver numbers in this offense.

They wouldn't bake those numbers in unless they they thought they were going to throw to him 75-90 times.

They wouldn't bake those numbers in unless they they thought they were going to throw to him 75-90 times.

Don't read too much into it. The weekly bonuses are the key comp piece, the production incentive is just a cherry to throw on top.

Don't read too much into it. The weekly bonuses are the key comp piece, the production incentive is just a cherry to throw on top.

I agree. The weekly bonus are important.

However this team is pretty thorough in explaining to FAs how they will be used in the system and what is expected of them. I highly doubt Wayne would come here without knowing (and expecting) how they would use him.

While I agree that the # of catches is icing on the cake, I don't think they threw it in there like a car salesman throws in some snow tires to close a deal. They derived to those numbers based on conversations around how Wayne would be used in the offense.

How many catches did the #4 receiver have over the past few years?

IMHO, the #4 receiver is not a major role. If Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, Gronkowski and Chandler are healthy, the #4 is all but irrelevant. HOWEVER, there are injuries, and Wayne is very good insurance. It is his ability to be the #3 (or even #2) that makes him worth the money.

How many catches did the #4 receiver have over the past few years?

IMHO, the #4 receiver is not a major role. If Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, Gronkowski and Chandler are healthy, the #4 is all but irrelevant. HOWEVER, there are injuries, and Wayne is very good insurance. It is his ability to be the #3 (or even #2) that makes him worth the money.

I agree but you have a few things going on this year which add to the intrigue.

Also after 2007 they really didn't have any quality ones to throw to. Now they do.

Keep in mind Vereen's targets are going to be spread around and Cadet, White and Lewis are question marks in this offense.

LaFell is racked up.

Chandler as never caught more than 53 balls. He is the #2 TE. He'll see around 50-70 targets in this offense. That is #4 option for sure.

Wayne is being paid ~$3m. That is not insurance. That is paid-for production on par with JE11, LaFell and DA's compensation.

The past few years TB12 has averaged about 600+ throws a year.

100- JE11
100-Gronk
100- LaFell*
75- DA
75-Wayne (could go up based on LaFell)
60-Chandler
60-Cadet/Lewis/White/Bolden
30- Dobson, Hooman and others...

*unsure of health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back