PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wayne Chrebet Officially Retires

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/rs...fbn.jets.chrebet.ap/index.html?section=si_nfl

Jets' Chrebet calls it a career
Posted: Thursday December 22, 2005 12:54PM
Updated: Thursday December 22, 2005 1:03PM

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- Jets receiver Wayne Chrebet said Thursday his career was over, one month after sustaining a season-ending concussion.

Chrebet spent 11 seasons with his hometown team after signing as an undrafted free agent out of Hofstra, but was plagued with head injuries the last few seasons. Though he was undersized at 5-foot-10, he quickly became a clutch possession receiver, working his way up the team record charts.

He ends his career with 580 receptions, second to Don Maynard's 627 on the team list. Chrebet made his first appearance at the Jets' facility Thursday since he was hurt Nov. 6 against San Diego. His impromptu comments confirmed the expected.

"I'm not going to get back on the field. I think everybody's aware of that," Chrebet said. "But I'm just thankful and want to let the right people know I appreciate everything they've done for me."

On the play in which he got hurt, Chrebet was making a third-down catch for a first down, symbolic of the type of plays he made throughout his career. He stayed down on the field for several minutes, with a scary, glazed look in his eyes.

It was the latest in a series of problems for Chrebet. He had a post-traumatic migraine early in the 2003 season and missed the final eight games that season with postconcussion syndrome. He considered retiring, but instead came back last season. Chrebet played in all 16 games, but sustained a mild concussion in the regular-season finale against St. Louis.

"It's just a weird thing you don't want to accept," Chrebet said. "I've had a lot of time at home with my kids and that's been great. It's something I've always looked forward to. The rest is dealing with not having this in my life anymore."

Because of all he had to endure this season, teammates selected him as the recipient of the Ed Block Courage Award.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Last edited:
Farewell Wayne,

I have to say I always loved his heart and character out ther eventhough he wore green and white. He would have looked good as a Patriot, and I hope WR's today can understand what Chrebet did that you don't need to dance in the endzone to impress anyone, all you need to do is catch balls over the middle with no fear.

I look at Chrebet and I see aspects of both Troy Brown and Tedy Bruschi. What a class player. Good health and a long life to you, Wayne.

To snag from PTI, Happy trails Wayne!

TeamPats said:
Farewell Wayne,

I have to say I always loved his heart and character out ther eventhough he wore green and white. He would have looked good as a Patriot, and I hope WR's today can understand what Chrebet did that you don't need to dance in the endzone to impress anyone, all you need to do is catch balls over the middle with no fear.

not many WR's would do it as often as he would goold Luck Chrebet

I've always admired Wayne as a clutch receiver and a pain in our necks. Thanks for playing well Wayne, I hope time heals the pain you've fought though so long and you enjoy your family with a long full life.

Good luck Wayne. You made Pats-Jets very exciting (and often heart-burning) for many years! Hope you have a long healthy life!

He was one tough receiver. Not very big, not very fast (pretty fast though), like all good receivers he always seemed to get open. He truly beat the odds to become a very good receiver in the NFL. I was always hoping we would find "Our Chrebet" for the Pats. Even though he was an oppenent, I'll miss watching him play. Best of luck Wayne. We'll probably see him on TV as an analyst.

Last edited by a moderator:
Box_O_Rocks said:
I've always admired Wayne as a clutch receiver and a pain in our necks. Thanks for playing well Wayne, I hope time heals the pain you've fought though so long and you enjoy your family with a long full life.

I remember that sideline catch he made in the Jets game in 2002 that got challenged. I never thought it was a catch, and I nearly destroyed my TV.

The bright side is, now I can finally like him. He was one of those guys like Hines Ward, a football player who I hated for being a good tough player on a rival. I like the way he played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back