PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watt Looked Unreal Tonight (update: homers vs cynics debate re: Pats draft decisions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Watt Looked Unreal Tonight

The Pats didn't PASS on him. Watt was drafted at #11. 6 picks ahead of us. We can't know for sure what would have happened had Watt fallen into our laps. Sure it was just a preseason game, but didn't we get excited about Ridley, Mallet, and Price after a strong preseason showing? There's nothing wrong with getting excited. If I recall correctly, Suh showed flashes of brilliance in preseason as well and carried it on into the regular season.

As far as your bust prediction, I think you need to take your blinders off. The kid has athleticism and potential through the roof. And not only that Watt has the intensity and work ethic to polish that talent and take it to the next level. You'll be proven wrong soon, I hope you'll man up and admit it when it happens.

Thank you for your response and all but putting Watt into consideration for ROTY and maybe the HOF based on that '1 solid' preseason game against the almighty Jets but I will stand by my prediction and say he will be nothing special and if I am wrong,I will man up....will you??

I didn't get to see the game(I was traveling). What made Watt look so good?

I didn't get to see the game(I was traveling). What made Watt look so good?

He owned Ducasses...played well against other yets lineman. He fits Wade's 34 invert 1 gap attacking defense well. He will be awesome for them.

Re: Watt Looked Unreal Tonight (update: homers vs cynics debate re: Pats draft decisi

Let me give you another name, greg jennings. The packers are very happy that BB thought neither jennings nor matthews were good enough to play on his team. If another team made trades with the packers that netted them two key players on their superbowl team they would get killed for it, but BB gets a pass.

Honestly, if BB's record had been terrible over that stretch then he would of deserved to be bashed, but it wasn't and he doesn't. The guy is consistently one of the top 2 or 3 coaches and top 5 or 6 talent evaluators in the league every single year. I'm not sure what else you want.

He owned Ducasses...played well against other yets lineman. He fits Wade's 34 invert 1 gap attacking defense well. He will be awesome for them.

So did Jesse Nading, DuCasse looked like sh*t !!!

So did Jesse Nading, DuCasse looked like sh*t !!!

Even ganggreen.com figured that out.

Naturally, that's overlooked. it doesn't fit with the bias.

Besides, even if Watt actually did look "unreal", that defense hardly looked "unreal".

Re: Watt Looked Unreal Tonight (update: homers vs cynics debate re: Pats draft decisi

Profootball focus had brady as the 33rd best player in the league last year. They didn't even have him as a top 5 qb. You are doing to matthews what many fans do to brady. Call him overrated, a system player who only succeeds because of the team he plays on. You are wrong about matthews and they're wrong about brady. 23 sacks and numerous impact plays like the one he made in the superbowl in two seasons is nothing to denigrate.

btw you know crap because you write it. One of the most ridiculous nonsense ever written on this board is that matthews 23 sacks is due to him coming untouched. That is asinine.

Here is yourfirst major problem. You simply can't read and comprehend.

Clay Matthews has had the most untouched sacks. Untouched is scheme related. Scheme related is based on a superior secondary. Sorry, that's reality.

I know this reality runs counter to the delusion but Matthews is a complimentary part of that defense. A very good one but a component.

It's only in your delusions that he drives that defense.

First, why is this a homer vs. cynic debate? This isn't Dez Bryant vs. Devin McCourty. The Pats would have had to trade up into the top 10 to get Watts. It isn't like Watt fell to the 17th pick and the Pats picked Solder over him.

Second, speaking of how high Watt got picked, did anyone really expect him to go 11th overall. Most mock drafts had the Pats taking him at 17 (although late mocks had him moving up to the 13-15 pick range). Maybe Belichick would have taken him if he dropped and/or he expected him to be available at least until the next few picks after the Texans selected him. pick.

Point 1 is obviously correct. WRT point 2, as you note, Watt was shooting up a lot of mock draft boards in the two weeks pre-draft. He was getting some comparisons to Mike Wright, for example.

... watt did look impressive ... albeit ducasse looks like a total bust ...

l_j_r

Last edited:

There where quality DL linemen and pass rushers but as always they passed up on one.I dont get it at all.Next year's draft is no excuse not to pick up one.I think Cameron Heyward will be a steal for Pittsburg.

There where quality DL linemen and pass rushers but as always they passed up on one.I dont get it at all.Next year's draft is no excuse not to pick up one.I think Cameron Heyward will be a steal for Pittsburg.

Cam and JJ will be fine with each team. One excels in shooting gaps and he will do well under Wade. One excels in socking up blocks and rushing the passer on pass downs. Cam does have to improve on being agile and stop being clumsy when O linemen cut him.
I watched both of them esp Cam. I hope they both have success....but not against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back