PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watt Looked Unreal Tonight (update: homers vs cynics debate re: Pats draft decisions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Watt Looked Unreal Tonight (update: homers vs cynics debate re: Pats draft decisi

Let me give you another name, greg jennings. The packers are very happy that BB thought neither jennings nor matthews were good enough to play on his team. If another team made trades with the packers that netted them two key players on their superbowl team they would get killed for it, but BB gets a pass.
Jennings was a sixth or a seventh round pick a lot of teams passed on him. Like we use to tell the clients at Belchertown State School....Try Again. :D

Last edited:
Re: Watt Looked Unreal Tonight (update: homers vs cynics debate re: Pats draft decisi

Jennings was a sixth or a seventh round pick a lot of teams passed on him. Like we use to tell the clients at Belchertown state school....Try Again. :D

Jennings was a second round pick. We traded two picks (the Jennings pick and a later one) to get Chad Jackson.

Point GB.

BB clearly blew it on that trade.

The only delusional people here are the homers. matthews has 23 sacks in 2 years but they apparently came untouched. Do you even believe your own crap? He was a prominent contributor to a superbowl team despite playing with lower leg injury for the whole year.
i concede, the only good players in this league are those on the patriots. BB is the only only good coach/gm in the league and everybody else are just idiots. Although those idiots seem to prevent BB from winning superbowl or playoff game recently.

Are You really Mike Felger in disguise?

Sounds like him

Jennings was a second round pick. We traded two picks (the Jennings pick and a later one) to get Chad Jackson.

Point GB.

BB clearly blew it on that trade.
I must be thinking of the WR in N.O. who was a late round pick that panned out. But still NO ONE can hit on all their picks, my beef with BB is that he seems to take chances with certain positions i.e. DB's but not OLB's or to a lesser degree D-linemen. It seems every year he takes a couple of DB's but is unwilling to roll the dice on OLB's an area of need.

Last edited:

Who says Watt might not be a special player? Linemen taking that high should be, or close to it.

What matters is the team on the field and it seems like BB sees vets ripe for the picking and more picks next year (they grow a new crop every year).

lol over Houston picking all those great defensive players we wiffed on.

In their 10th year in the league, they're coming off a 6-10, while NE has virtually turned around the whole defense while going 24-8.

I doubt any rookie will have more impact than Haynesworth and Wilfork and we've already got double 1sts and seconds in the draft.

read the sig, it is wise

Yet, after 10 years in the league, Tex is coming off a 6-10 record

Last edited:

The only delusional people here are the homers. matthews has 23 sacks in 2 years but they apparently came untouched. Do you even believe your own crap? He was a prominent contributor to a superbowl team despite playing with lower leg injury for the whole year.
i concede, the only good players in this league are those on the patriots. BB is the only only good coach/gm in the league and everybody else are just idiots. Although those idiots seem to prevent BB from winning superbowl or playoff game recently.

Uhhh untouched sacks

It's called statistics. PFT had an article on it several weeks ago.

Again, embrace reality there, Sport.

Besides, I know what crap looks like. You do realize I have read your posts?

Last edited:

oh look its THIS argument again.

Last edited:

Not sure how JJ Watt being praised debate turned into why we didn't get JJ debate that turned into Clay Matthews debate that turned into why we didn't draft Clay debate :bricks:

Last edited:
Re: OT: Watt Looked Unreal Tonight

Is it possible that Mankins will learn not to get smoked by interior pass rushers?

I'm not even arguing that you're wrong about Matthews, as far as that goes. I think different coaching could help him, but that's not really my concern. I just don't buy the notion that any one game is dispositive, that's all.

That's fair enough.

Brook Reed didn't look too shabby. Unlike Watt who was long gone before the Pats picked, Reed was available in the second round. Looks like Clay Matthews 2. Interesting to compare him to Ras-I Dowling and Vereen.

Reed would have never worked here. Good pass rusher on obvious passing downs when containment isn't an issue, not very disciplined, and injury prone (keep in mind I watched all but a few of his games in college). I see him being Tully Banta-Cain only more injury prone in New England. He might do well in Houston's 1 gap defense tho where containment isn't an issue, but he woulda been a horrible fit here.

Uhhh untouched sacks

It's called statistics. PFT had an article on it several weeks ago.

Again, embrace reality there, Sport.

Besides, I know what crap looks like. You do realize I have read your posts?

Profootball focus had brady as the 33rd best player in the league last year. They didn't even have him as a top 5 qb. You are doing to matthews what many fans do to brady. Call him overrated, a system player who only succeeds because of the team he plays on. You are wrong about matthews and they're wrong about brady. 23 sacks and numerous impact plays like the one he made in the superbowl in two seasons is nothing to denigrate.

btw you know crap because you write it. One of the most ridiculous nonsense ever written on this board is that matthews 23 sacks is due to him coming untouched. That is asinine.

Profootball focus had brady as the 33rd best player in the league last year. They didn't even have him as a top 5 qb. You are doing to matthews what many fans do to brady. Call him overrated, a system player who only succeeds because of the team he plays on. You are wrong about matthews and they're wrong about brady. 23 sacks and numerous impact plays like the one he made in the superbowl in two seasons is nothing to denigrate.

btw you know crap because you write it. One of the most ridiculous nonsense ever written on this board is that matthews 23 sacks is due to him coming untouched. That is asinine.

Look man, you are fighting a fight that you will never ever ever ever EVER win. There is no argument that will ever be accepted that Matthews can be an impact player here in NE. I've tried and so have others.

Hell, BB and Caserio have tried.

"The things he's doing for the Packers, I would say there are probably some things that he would do if he were on this team," Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio said. "He's a good football player. I think if you line him up in any system, he's going to be a good football player whether it's our team, the Packers, any other team in the NFL."

"He's a guy with a high motor, so even at times when it looks like he's blocked, he can still come out and get in on the play," Belichick said. "He's a good pursuit player, but I'd say his speed and his quickness are big assets. He's a guy that's never really out of the play. You can run away from him, but he can run you down -- or you can run to him and it kind of looks like you might have him blocked, but he spins out of things and uses his quickness and his athleticism to get out of tight situations, stay alive and make plays."

http://patsblog.projo.com/2010/12/patriots-could.html

Last edited:

That's fair enough.

Sorry if it seemed picky, but I got so tired of hearing about Mankins in the Super Bowl, that it's become a bit of a peeve with me.

Can somebody come up with another player besides Matthews as an example, its been beaten to death. Matthews had potential steroid issues, he gained about 30-40 lbs in a couple of years which raised questions about him being juiced up. I'm one of the people here that questions some of BB's picks specifically not drafting OLB's or D-lineman (does anyone think that Fat Albert will make it through the year without being injured?) But i'm not second guessing BB on passing on Clay Matthews.

I don't even know about "had". At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, he's one of the players who I'll be keeping my eyes on in the wake of gameday drug-testing and HGH testing.

That's because PFF is an absolute garbage site. You have to search pretty far and wide to find a meaningful overall QB statistic that doesn't have Brady at or near the top of the league. The fact that PFF is useless doesn't really have any bearing on this discussion.

Not sure how JJ Watt being praised debate turned into why we didn't get JJ debate that turned into Clay Matthews debate that turned into why we didn't draft Clay debate :bricks:

Everything eventually tuns into a "why didn't we draft Clay Matthews", "the Jets really really suck", or "cut Brandon Meriweather and/or Darius Butler" debate eventually.

That's because PFF is an absolute garbage site. You have to search pretty far and wide to find a meaningful overall QB statistic that doesn't have Brady at or near the top of the league. The fact that PFF is useless doesn't really have any bearing on this discussion.

It explains why his moronic posts is what he believes in.

He in one of those PFF subscribers that would have you believe anything they write.

I can't remember an MVP of the league with over 320 passes without an INT being ranked over 30...******ed

Last edited:

And Bam Childress looked like our new #1 receiver a few preseasons ago :rolleyes:

Some of you really need perspective on grading a player as special after 1 game....albeit a preseason game at that.

Let's see what Watt does in September and onward before we rip Bill for passing on him.

This kid was one of my projections to be a bust in the early draft and I still stick to that.

The Pats didn't PASS on him. Watt was drafted at #11. 6 picks ahead of us. We can't know for sure what would have happened had Watt fallen into our laps. Sure it was just a preseason game, but didn't we get excited about Ridley, Mallet, and Price after a strong preseason showing? There's nothing wrong with getting excited. If I recall correctly, Suh showed flashes of brilliance in preseason as well and carried it on into the regular season.

As far as your bust prediction, I think you need to take your blinders off. The kid has athleticism and potential through the roof. And not only that Watt has the intensity and work ethic to polish that talent and take it to the next level. You'll be proven wrong soon, I hope you'll man up and admit it when it happens.

Last edited:

The Pats didn't PASS on him. Watt was drafted at #11. 6 picks ahead of us. We can't know for sure what would have happened had Watt fallen into our laps. Sure it was just a preseason game, but didn't we get excited about Ridley, Mallet, and Price after a strong preseason showing? There's nothing wrong with getting excited. If I recall correctly, Suh showed flashes of brilliance in preseason as well and carried it on into the regular season.

this is what i was thinking while reading the first couple of pages of this thread

The two players to watch this year are Mark Ingram and Cam Jordan, who were both well within our reach. We shall see...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back