Watson on fan reaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
not sure if it was posted..i just saw hobbs comments, if so ..please merge
No Pats on the back: Patriots Players criticize boo birds - BostonHerald.com

Tight end Benjamin Watson [stats] also offered his opinion.

“I think (the fans) expect certain things out of us, which is a good thing because it means we’ve done some great things here, so there’s a certain level of expectancy,” Watson said. “They hold us to a high standard, much like the standard we hold ourselves to. (But) for them to leave, it was pretty disgusting to watch.”

Like Hobbs, would Watson use the fans’ fickle nature as a source of motivation?

“When we’re on the field, whatever game it is, you try to focus, whether it’s positive or negative coming from the fans,” Watson said. “They’re entitled. They pay for the tickets. They can say what they want to say. Like I said, we’ve had some good teams here. They expect the best out of us, which is good. When there are expectations, you tend to meet those expectations. It’s not bad that they’re disappointed. We’re disappointed when we’re not doing things well.”

Hey, let's have every member on the team comment about the fans.

It's certainly progressive, necessary and something Mr. Belichick would encourage.

Hey, let's have every member on the team comment about the fans.

It's certainly progressive, necessary and something Mr. Belichick would encourage.

The Pats are morphing into the Red Sox:cool:

Seriously, what's going on here? This is even worse than Hobbs and the boos, why in the world would Watson be insulted at people leaving a game that isn't anywhere near close? People leave like crazy when the Pats are killing people, too. Disgusting?

This team needs to stop throwing its fans under the bus, even if they are right. Maybe this is why Belichick keeps such a strong media muzzle on everybody.

Last edited:
Seriously, what's going on here? This is even worse than Hobbs and the boos, why in the world would Watson be insulted at people leaving a game that isn't anywhere near close? People leave like crazy when the Pats are killing people, too. Disgusting?

This team needs to stop throwing its fans under the bus, even if they are right. Maybe this is why Belichick keeps such a strong media muzzle on everybody.
No, I completely agree with Watson's sentiment. These people are giving up on the pats and aren't showing any intestinal fortitude. You need to support your team through thick and thin. That's what real fans are for.

The Pats are not out of the running yet. We are 2-1 right now, not 0-3.

No, I completely agree with Watson's sentiment. These people are giving up on the pats and aren't showing any intestinal fortitude. You need to support your team through thick and thin. That's what real fans are for.

Are we also expected to stay when the Pats are destroying somebody 40-6 like they did so many times last year? Or if we leave are we not supporting them? What's the difference, exactly? Do the players need us to hold their hands after they've lost a game? Don't kid yourselves, they care about us a whole lot less than we care about them.

Leaving a game early when it is completely decided is perfectly normal and there isn't a fanbase in ANY SPORT who doesn't do it.

Leaving in the third quarter is pushing it to be certain, but to call that "disgusting"? Get the BB muzzle on him.

Talk to me about being a real fan when you actually go to a game or two, or maybe even over 300 like me.

Oh. Mr Watson! For a man who is hurt all the time, drops key passes, and has not lived up to his draft status, those are some bold words!

I have had season tickets for over 15 years, and I left the Miami game with about 5 min left on the clock. Not because I'm not a real fan, but because I was sick of watching my favorite team get smashed by the worst team in the NFL. Why should I stay and cheer a bunch of guys who are playing with no heart, and not giving their full effort?

When a game is clearly out of reach, and you are in the final min of the game, not sure what the big deal about leaving a tad early is.

Last edited:
Oh. Mr Watson! For a man who is hurt all the time, drops key passes, and has not lived up to his draft status, those are some bold words!

I have had season tickets for over 15 years, and I left the Miami game with about 5 min left on the clock. Not because I'm not a real fan, but because I was sick of watching my favorite team get smashed by the worst team in the NFL. Why should I stay and cheer a bunch of guys who are playing with no heart, and not giving their full effort?

When a game is clearly out of reach, and you are in the final min of the game, not sure what the big deal about leaving a tad early is.

The majority of fans were seen leaving at about the 12 minute mark of the 4th- Hardly final minutes - But yes, with Cassel even a 7 point deficit is out of reach by that time,He can't take his team from the Pats 20 into the opponents end zone more than on a rare occasion and against a scrub team and thats a fact

Some of you people make me sick. "Oh, I've been to over 300 games, I'm entitled to leave if I dont like what I see on the field!" You're spoiled. You have no idea how lucky you are to see just ONE Patriots game live. Watson is right. It's disgusting. You ever see the opening scene of "Invincible"? It's the last Eagles game of the year, and the team sucks, and yeah, they're booing the hell out of them. But when some guy gets up to leave they harass him until he sits back down. You have to SUPPORT your team. Not just when they're winning. THAT's what gives Patriots fans a bad name. You may have every "right" to do whatever you want when you pay for your tickets. Doesn't make you look like any less of a douchebag though.

Any of you fed-up fans want to sell me some tickets to a game this year? I'd love to go.

There are a number of players on this team (Rodney, Bruschi, Vrabel etc.) whose opinion on this matter may be worth hearing. But it sure as hell isn't Watson's place to yap about it.

The only things that he is an expert on is underachieving and being injured. If he wants to pontificate on either of those matters than maybe I would listen to him.

Him trying to pass judgement on the fans who have filled this stadium since he was in grade school is a joke.

Some of you people make me sick. "Oh, I've been to over 300 games, I'm entitled to leave if I dont like what I see on the field!" You're spoiled.

This has nothing to do with being spoiled. Invincible was a movie, not real life. Everyone does this. Everyone.

Some of you people make me sick. "Oh, I've been to over 300 games, I'm entitled to leave if I dont like what I see on the field!" You're spoiled. You have no idea how lucky you are to see just ONE Patriots game live. Watson is right. It's disgusting. You ever see the opening scene of "Invincible"? It's the last Eagles game of the year, and the team sucks, and yeah, they're booing the hell out of them. But when some guy gets up to leave they harass him until he sits back down. You have to SUPPORT your team. Not just when they're winning. THAT's what gives Patriots fans a bad name. You may have every "right" to do whatever you want when you pay for your tickets. Doesn't make you look like any less of a douchebag though.

Any of you fed-up fans want to sell me some tickets to a game this year? I'd love to go.

It's one thing to root for a team, another to worship it. Let's not cross the line. Players like Watson make millions of dollars playing a game. The average fan in the stands is worried about making his mortgage payments and sending his kids to college. To take the side of an underperforming multi-millionaire against Joe Average (who after all PAID to see a shoddy performance) shows a distorted set of values.

It's one thing to root for a team, another to worship it. Let's not cross the line. Players like Watson make millions of dollars playing a game. The average fan in the stands is worried about making his mortgage payments and sending his kids to college. To take the side of an underperforming multi-millionaire against Joe Average (who after all PAID to see a shoddy performance) shows a distorted set of values.

I agree...Even the homers on the big show condemed Watson and co. These are guys who are friends with the coach, and kiss the pats butts on a regular basis.

I understand why those who left early did so. Watson should STFU and earn his paycheck.

Watson need to make a damn catch and start living up to being a 1st round pick before he opens his mouth.

There were a ton of tickets available for the Dolphins game, and tickets are available now for most home games this year. More are released the week before the game. Sign up for the wait list and you can get tickets for every game if you want.

I guess those Philly fans weren't the same ones that didn't sell out the Stadium in the late '90's when most of the games were blacked out in Philly.

If Gillette was full of people like you and AndyJohnson it would be the best place ever to watch a game :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back