PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watson and Meriweather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he ? In what way ?

You mean the 4 tackles made after the damage had already been done ?

He's a 3rd safety, a role player, never, ever around the football until serious yardage has already been gained. No picks, no forced fumbles, nothing ?

The position needs a serious upgrade, Chung can't come up to speed fast enough.

He's the last line of defense in the secondary. The fact that you're not noticing him make plays is a good thing. Obviously BB feels good enough about him to put him in that position. I don't expect that to resonate with you because you clearly just don't like Sanders for whatever reason and the facts aren't going to make a bit of difference in changing that.

Enjoy watching him start this season. I know it'll eat away at you every Sunday.

Last edited:
Matthew Slater can do this job and probably do it more effectively as I can definately see him being around the football alot more than Sanders.

This might be one of the dumbest things I've ever read here. And I read a lot of dumb things.

He still lacks burst and instinct.

Admit it. You just made that up. You really have no idea what you're talking about, kind of like the people who say Maroney doesn't run hard and lacks vision and instinct.

Last edited:
Wellp, you're officially not worth responding to, thanks for saving me some time and effort.

If you think James Sanders's job cannot be done just as well by someone else then you are more of a Patriot's homer than I ever thought you were before. Drop the blue koolaid it has alot of calories...........

If you think James Sanders's job cannot be done just as well by someone else then you are more of a Patriot's homer than I ever thought you were before. Drop the blue koolaid it has alot of calories...........

The evidence is right there in front of you. BB loves Sanders. He signed him to a three year deal. He's the starter for the foreseeable future. You might as well build yourself a bridge and get over it.

The evidence is right there in front of you. BB loves Sanders. He signed him to a three year deal. He's the starter for the foreseeable future. You might as well build yourself a bridge and get over it.

OK, as each week passes by and you continue to watch plays being made in front of #36, you can sit on your couch a smile and say to yourself, wow, I am so glad James Sanders is our invisible, keep it safe, non-play making safety who keeps all 20-40 yard completions in front of him. Why do you think he drafted Patrick Chung Jack ? He only signed Sanders because he knew he was losing Rodney and he really had no other options.

Easy down on the James Sanders comments The_Riddler. You've made your feelings known. I thought he was serviceable and will ultimately be replaced by Chung, but not yet.

OK, as each week passes by and you continue to watch plays being made in front of #36, you can sit on your couch a smile and say to yourself, wow, I am so glad James Sanders is our invisible, keep it safe, non-play making safety who keeps all 20-40 yard completions in front of him. Why do you think he drafted Patrick Chung Jack ? He only signed Sanders because he knew he was losing Rodney and he really had no other options.

Well since your assessment of Sanders is wildly inaccurate, I will be smiling and enjoying the game. Sanders does make plays, and he's the best tackler in the secondary.

I think we drafted Chung because he was a good prospect and because we need depth. If Chung ends up developing into an elite safety and assumes the starting position, that's fine with me because it helps the team.

Now I see you've moved the goalposts. If any player (including Slater, as you claim) could play S as well as Sanders, BB would never have signed him to a three year deal because someone like McGowan could easily give you his level of production. But this hasn't happened because, as I told you, you're just plain wrong about Sanders.

Last edited:
What's great is that people on this board seriously wanted to trade Watson for AJ Feeley, a guy we didn't even want when we decided to carry only 2 QBs where the 2nd is a rookie undrafted free agent. This board gets seriously whack sometimes. Watson is a pretty good player, especially when he's healthy.

What's great is that people on this board seriously wanted to trade Watson for AJ Feeley, a guy we didn't even want when we decided to carry only 2 QBs where the 2nd is a rookie undrafted free agent. This board gets seriously whack sometimes. Watson is a pretty good player, especially when he's healthy.

That's a little bit of revisionist history. He's had some flashes but hasn't lived up to the standards of a first round pick. Trading a guy in his last season to fill an area of need isn't all that wacky.

While technically he's currently "on pace" for 32 TDs this season, his TDs last night equaled his total for 2008.

LOL, BB gave Sanders an extension ? So that justifies it as being a good decision ? LOL ! He also gave the guy you are hammering, Mr Jarvis Green a huge extension a few years back, So what does that say ? BB also signed Deltha O'Neil and a washed up Detriot CB who was part of the worst secondary in football, so who gives a crap about the fact the he re-upped James Sanders, the only reason he re-upped James Sanders is not so much because of his play, it was more the fact that he's been in the system for a few years more than anything else.

First of all people have said Jarvis had a bad game, but no one is claiming Jarvis is terrible and anyone could do his job. Second of all, Deltha didn't last too long, but Sanders has been here for more than a couple years AND got an extension.

How many times has BB given an extension to a terrible player?

Man after last night, I take back all the Benjamin Dropson jokes I made....

He has always been there when called upon. Tonight, 07 playoffs, whenever. He was just never called upon, particularly last season with Cassel. During the Ravens game in 07, Tirico threw out some stat about Brady being 25 for 25 to Watson in between the hashmarks. He's a decent player. His drops can get bad though...

That's a little bit of revisionist history. He's had some flashes but hasn't lived up to the standards of a first round pick. Trading a guy in his last season to fill an area of need isn't all that wacky.

While technically he's currently "on pace" for 32 TDs this season, his TDs last night equaled his total for 2008.

No one's revising history. I've always asserted that he's a pretty good player who can block some and catch some. He's just not brilliant like his detractors want him to be (not as good a blocker as Graham, not as good a receiver as Coates), and has been slowed by the ankle injury. Also, I don't think "the standards of a first round pick" really means anything other than "fulfills the hopes and dreams of rabid football fans who buy into the hype of the NFL draft". If you can get a cost-controlled sure-thing B or B+ player in the first round of the draft then you do that, and that's what Watson's been for 5 years now.

Look, guys like James Sanders, (aka keeping everything in front of themselves, never being around the football, never forcing any fumbles, never even remotely being close to picking off any passes - Especially sitting back, you would think at the very least this guy would be close to the football on deep outs and slants, AND HE'S NOT !), this guy redefines mediocrity, the position needs a serious upgrade. Matthew Slater can do this job and probably do it more effectively as I can definately see him being around the football alot more than Sanders.

I disagree.
Slater is a converted WR/DB.
To play the center field and prevent the big play takes a lot of smarts.

The bills didn't take too many shots deep so we didn't see that much of him.

Pierre Woods is still terrible, he was a one man get beat crew on that first Buffalo TD, how he makes this team year after year is a mystery.....

Other than the fact that he made the play that won the game last night?

Last edited:
Watson is a pretty good player, especially when he's healthy.

That's a little bit of revisionist history. He's had some flashes but hasn't lived up to the standards of a first round pick.

That's what it always comes down to, doesn't it? We can't even accept that Watson is "a pretty good player" because he was a first round pick.

OK, let's take that at face value. Now take a look at the 10 players selected AHEAD of Watson in the 2004 draft. A full half of them have been cut one or more times, have kicked around the Arena league and CFL, etc. Of the other five some are impact players, others oft-injured or benched.

IOW, Watson isn't a star, but even if you factor in his #32 draft slot he's been above average. Let's reserve our draft-bust hatred for the likes of Chad Jackson. :)

Other than the fact that he made the play that won the game last night?

Merriweather made the play and Woods, ONCE AGAIN, could not come up with a fumbled football, luckily someone much tougher than he is, had the guts to get into the pile and come out with the ball.

He's the last line of defense in the secondary. The fact that you're not noticing him make plays is a good thing. Obviously BB feels good enough about him to put him in that position. I don't expect that to resonate with you because you clearly just don't like Sanders for whatever reason and the facts aren't going to make a bit of difference in changing that.

Enjoy watching him start this season. I know it'll eat away at you every Sunday.

Just because you're a Safety and considered the last line of defense doesn't forbid you from coming up and making plays. You look at Polamalu and Clark from the Steelers and they're making plays all game long. Look at the Raven's Safeties and they're making plays. Hell, look at Rodney and Eugene (when Eugene was healthy) and both of them made plays. The issue with Sanders is that he's almost so cautious that no one gets behind him that he effectively takes himself out of the play. Yes it's great that no one gets behind him, but that's allowing the opposing team to pick up enough yards for first downs.

I like Sanders because from all accounts that I've read, he's a good guy and studies as hard as anyone. But looking at his play objectively, he's a non-factor.

Sanders is never going to be Troy Polamalu. I think a lot of people on this board think if you aren't Polamalu, you suck and you're invisible. Sanders is the QB of the secondary, a great leader and a sure tackler. He has definitely taken the occasional bad angle that hurt us (see last year vs. KC) but I feel great with him back there and thought if we get that game out of him every week, we'll be in great shape.

Merriweather made the play and Woods, ONCE AGAIN, could not come up with a fumbled football, luckily someone much tougher than he is, had the guts to get into the pile and come out with the ball.

You're seriously going to blame Woods for not recovering the fumble, even though he forced it?

Give me a break.

Sanders is never going to be Troy Polamalu. I think a lot of people on this board think if you aren't Polamalu, you suck and you're invisible. Sanders is the QB of the secondary, a great leader and a sure tackler. He has definitely taken the occasional bad angle that hurt us (see last year vs. KC) but I feel great with him back there and thought if we get that game out of him every week, we'll be in great shape.

You're kidding right ?

James Sanders is a 30 yard pass (and sure tackle waiting to happen). No turnovers, no bone-jarring hits, not even in the same area-code when the completion is made, only after severe damage has been done does James arrive to apply this so called "sure tackle". End of Story. If you want this as our starting SS, then I have to question you're football knowledge to be honest.

I will spell it

R O L E P L A Y E R

That is all this man is.............

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes