Welcome to PatsFans.com

Water taps run dry in Baghdad

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +285 / 11 / -10

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070802/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

BAGHDAD - Much of the Iraqi capital was without running water Thursday and had been for at least 24 hours, compounding the urban misery in a war zone and the blistering heat at the height of the Baghdad summer.

Residents and city officials said large sections in the west of the capital had been virtually dry for six days because the already strained electricity grid cannot provide sufficient power to run water purification and pumping stations.

Baghdad routinely suffers from periodic water outages, but this one is described by residents as one of the most extended and widespread in recent memory. The problem highlights the larger difficulties in a capital beset by violence, crumbling infrastructure, rampant crime and too little electricity to keep cool in the sweltering weather more than four years after the U.S.-led invasion.

Jamil Hussein, a 52-year-old retired army officer who lives in northeast Baghdad, said his house has been without water for two weeks, except for two hours at night. He says the water that does flow smells and is unclean.

2. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Why do you want these people to die of thirst? You're such scum, Patters ;)

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Yeah...why do you hate the troops so bad by posting stuff like that?

you must want the terrorists to win, why are you so unamerican?

You hope for another 9-11 by putting stuff like that on our messageboard to embolden the enemy.

ahhhhhhh......

right wing talking points?.............check.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I don't even know what to say.

Today I was working in a hotel in Somerville. I was concerned about staying hydrated, so I had to remember to get a big pitcher from the front desk and keep it full of ice and water (which of course the hotel was happy to supply) as I put new rugs into rooms with absolutely KILLER AC's in 'em. I even found time to stop into Dunky's at lunch for a large Iced Coffee...

Boy, this link sure makes it tough for me to b!tch about my day:(

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +412 / 12 / -26

Imagine that all this took place with a high temp of 113 degrees, today it looks better only 106 this weekend it goes back up to the mid teens once again. I know it was dry, but this is still pretty freaking hot and no running water.. have to question our effectiveness there as this most basic necessity is not working.