Welcome to PatsFans.com

Watchmen

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by KontradictioN, Feb 23, 2009.

1. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,455 / 33 / -54

No Jersey Selected

Is anybody going to see this when it comes out? I didn't read the graphic novel myself, but I don't want to because everytime I read the book before I see the movie, the movie is ruined. The previews look excellent but don't really allude to what the plot is all about. Here is the transcript from Wikipedia...

Superheroes (one which is hot) and nuclear war? Sounds like a movie I'd see.

2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

A friend gave me the graphic novel 20 years ago and I never read it. I won't go to the theater to see it but, I will watch it on DVD. Now the new Star Trek move that's a must see in theater. :D

3. patsfanofNC12

patsfanofNC12 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'll probably make my girlfriend come with me to catch it in theaters, and tell her I'll go see a movie of her choice

4. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I read the graphic novel a few times. Basically, super heros have been outlawed. During the 40s and 50s they would go and solve crimes and stop villains and whatnot, but now they are dubbed "vigilante" and are arrested type of deal. The novel starts off with one of the former heros being murdered - and another hero (still active fighting crime) tries to figure out why. It takes a few really random turns - but as far as graphic novels go, this one is a 10/10.

I can't wait for the movie, this seems like one of those movies that will fit the novel perfectly - it was relatively short.

5. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +2,455 / 33 / -54

No Jersey Selected

Nerd. ;)

Ten

6. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,644 / 9 / -19

#61 Jersey

I don't understand why some women are so turned off by science fiction/adventure films. Sort of throws a wet blanket on the fun of anticipating a movie like this.

7. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Best nerd bash ever. :D

8. wahwho

wahwho Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yeah, but the one that spends half the book/movie naked is a guy.

9. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Saw it last night at midnight (yes, nerd). I have to say, it was about as close to the graphic novel as a film could get. A lot of the themes were still there, and the actors NAILED their characters. Big time. The soundtrack was great as well, lots of period songs; for example, the beginning montage was done to Bob Dylan's Times They Are A Changin'. I know a lot of fanboys will hate it, the kind that hate to see anything divert at all from the original material. But it just can't be down, you have to go in knowing that. Watchmen is my favorite comic (along with the first Ultimates limited series) and I've read comics for 20 years. I thought it was great.

edit: the final cut on the DVD is going to be even longer than the theatrical release, around 3.5 hours I think. That will add in a lot of the minor stuff cut out.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +664 / 7 / -2

It's probably for the same reasons why most women can't understand why us men are so turned off by diarea Terms of Endearment, anything Drew Barrymore, love fest type films. Like I tell my fiance, those movies are what your friends, and mom are for.

I'll wait till this puppy comes out on DVD. Looks Watchable, but not for $12.

11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +2,455 / 33 / -54

No Jersey Selected

12. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I'm lucky, my wife hates those types of movies. The last movie she went to see with me was Quantum of Solace. Score.

As for Watchmen, I really think a lot of the reviewers are right on when they say that the movie may not have mass appeal. I'm a huge fan of the comic, so I can't really say how it plays to those who haven't read and understand the comic. I will say that it is definitely unlike any comic book movie made so far. It's wayyyy darker than Dark Knight and deals with some interesting issues.

13. fleabassist1

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Just saw it last night. Awesome movie - although I have heard a lot of people saying they don't like it.

If you're not into comics then I don't think you would like it very much. If you are into the whole "This is unlike the novel so I hate it" crowd then you won't be disappointed.

14. Pats Fanatic

Pats Fanatic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -3

#54 Jersey

15. JD10367

JD10367 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think it's a great film, with a lot of moral/ethical issues. It's a very violent film, and definitely isn't for kids. Think "The Dark Knight" if it were crossed with "Apocalypse Now" or "The Deer Hunter". And it definitely needs to be seen on the big (as in, IMAX) screen, IMO. (We're still showing it here in Providence as the late show on Friday and Saturday.)

16. fleabassist1

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Funny review - sorta described it ---