PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Watching Thursday night's game on espn

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogansArmy

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
With Chris Berman doing the play by play I figured it'd be horrible to listen to. However I'm pleasantly surprised, it much different than I thought it would be: no screaming or shouting, no talking just to fill space, they actually seem to be talking about the current play and being silent when the play is being run.

I don't know about you all, but I'm quite impressed at least from what I've seen so far.

Had expectations of a train wreck.

Berman is not terrible....somewhat decent, in fact.

Dilfer is quite good.

yeah, it's only when the pats are on and are winning that they seem disinterested. if they start to lose espn does seem to perk up some.

I don't get the Chris Berman hatred ~ I really don't.

Mind you: I stopped watching the preGames years ago. They stopped being fun at some point, and I honestly can't say why. I have this vague sense that they've become far less focused on the meaty FootBall aspect of things, and far more focused on peripheral gossipy things...But I can't say for sure, because the change has been so gradual, and I can no longer remember the details of those CountDown shows and PrimeTime shows in the 90's that I used to look forward to as much as the games, themselves.

But at some point, several years ago, it suddenly dawned on me: I was no longer enjoying the pregame show...and hadn't been, for a few years, now. I'd just kept watching because it was an habit.

I guess it's sort of like waking up one day and realizing you hate your wife!!
jester.gif

But that doesn't mean that Chris Berman isn't a great one.

Some people find'm obnoxious. I get that.

Me, I've always loved his combination of deep, substantial knowledge of the game, his appreciation and knowledge of its History...and the absolutely boyish joy he took in it!! Infectious!! :D

And I find him thousands of times more engaging than most of the clowns they stick mikes in front of.

But...each to their own. :cool:

Not to nit pick, but the when the Titans punt returner's leg snapped in half, they were like "We have Michelle Tafoya on the field. We'll have a report soon from her on the details of the injury...." they didn't even acknowledge that his foot clearly was inverted and dangling, as shown several times on replay.

Other than that nothing really bothered me. Berman in general doesn't bother me too much unless he starts saying "Back-Back-Back" and when he overuses his nicknames.

Last edited:
Not to nit pick, but the when the Titans punt returner's leg snapped in half, they were like "We have Michelle Tafoya on the field. We'll have a report soon from her on the details of the injury...." they didn't even acknowledge that his foot clearly was inverted and dangling, as shown several times on replay.

Other than that I nothing really bothered me. Berman in general doesn't bother me too much unless he starts saying "Back-Back-Back" and when he overuses his nicknames.

Marc Mariani Breaks Leg Monday Night Football - YouTube

I agree that the pre-game show on ESPN got stale. I really haven't watched any of it for some time now.

My beef isn't with Berman. I was pleasantly surprised about how he and Dilfer worked that game. they would be a breath of fresh air over the crews we normally get.

My beef with ESPN was with the way they treated the whole spygate thing, and ESPECIALLY that faux-cheating story right before the superbowl in '07.

THAT was unforgiveable, and why I don't watch ESPN unless the Pats are playing and they're the only ones covering it.

Me, I've always loved his combination of deep, substantial knowledge of the game, his appreciation and knowledge of its History...and the absolutely boyish joy he took in it!! Infectious!! :D

And I find him thousands of times more engaging than most of the clowns they stick mikes in front of.

But...each to their own. :cool:

Can't agree more - Berman is very enjoyable with his humor and knowledge of the game. He's vastly better than the majority of his co-horts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back